What would you CHANGE about Christmas 2010?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
There are two things I would change but only one I can actually control! Unfortunately we've had our coldest December here in N Ireland for years so I'm praying for no snow next year as it really messed up our plans.
Secondly I would pre-book our taxis on Christmas Eve (we were told there was no need) as the girl in the office didn't send a taxi for us when we phoned and were left waiting for an hour in the snow on Christmas Eve. During this hour we kept phoning and she kept telling us "it was on its way!". Not a great start to Chrtistmas Eve lol!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh No

That does not sound fun, alisonmcg, brrrrr.

:fireplace:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
It wasn't jampss! DH wanted to walk home but we had lost all feeling in our feet by then and ,as the walk home is normally 20 mins, I dread to think how much longer it would have taken us in the snow. Plus we had a load of shopping bags and a whopping big turkey to carry as well. The thing is, I can laugh about it now but at the time we were MISERABLE lol!

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
I don't know that I could pin point just ONE thing.

This year, for sure I will be using my notebook. I also plan to shop though the year and make Christmas in July the Big Kick Off to my holiday shopping. I'd like to have the majority of my shopping done by Halloween. I DO NOT like shopping or even grocery shopping during the holidays, so if I can have the majority of my holiday shopping done by Halloween, that for sure would help me to have a better Christmas.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well ....

The thing is, I can laugh about it now but at the time we were MISERABLE lol!

Boy, what a time but yes, it's good when we can look back and laugh!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
merrychristmas.....

The shopping all year round really helps. I have just written a big list of stocking fillers and have started buying them. My kids are adults and I am talking about the non perishables that I put in their stockings. I have already bought toothpaste and toothbrushes, a new hairbrush each, and deodorant spray and roll on. I will buy a few more things everyweek and I hope that by July I will have the bulk of the stockings done. Of course will have to add the perishables closer to christmas.
There gift totes already have a bit in them and I am very pleased.

I have been getting them to look at the weekly flyers from our stores and asking them to tick off things in them that they find interesting. That is certainly helping me in seeing what they are interested in.

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
What would I change? I NEVER want to move around Christmastime again. Feels like I missed out on my favorite season of the year. Nor could I find any of the gifts I had pre-purchased... Second year in a row we've moved at Christmas - hate it!

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I would put money aside sooner... I planned really well for the kids "Santa" gifts, but left it very late for the gifts for everyone else!!

I'd really like to give some food gifts this year too. I planned to for 2010, even choosing recipes, but it didn't end up happening.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I purchased a small rain showerhead for my hubby at Christmastime. I wish I had purchased one for everyone in my extended family - it is awesome!

So now you can start buying one a month until you have enough for this year's gifts. You could also pick up watering cans to put it in.

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
(I didnt quite get the hang of quoting)
Ahorsesoul: Mighty excellent ideas! Thank you...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
To be more organized. Our daughter joined the cheerleading squad last fall and I was un prepared for the time it took away from other things that I normally do in Oct/Nov so of course I fell behind on alot of things. She will be cheering again this year plus our son will also be playing midget football for the first time as well.

To have gifts wrapped earlier - will start in July
Christmas cards started in Oct/Nov

Will tone down the baking this year. It was just too hectic last year trying to find time to do all the baking that I normally do and trying to find place to store all the goodies. Will focus more on the family favorites and skip the rest.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, i am going to pare down the baking too. I found myself nearly force feeding cookies to the kids as I had baked too much. I will also just stick to the favorites and maybe bake the others throughout the year.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I definitely need to cut back on my baking...OR...give them away like I always plan too! (Hopefully we will know more people by next Christmas! Its just the 2 of us out here)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, i am going to pare down the baking too. I found myself nearly force feeding cookies to the kids as I had baked too much. I will also just stick to the favorites and maybe bake the others throughout the year.

Sounds like a great idea... With both kids involved with midget football/cheerleading this fall maybe everyother weekend I will bake something different that we can take to the games with us. That would also save $$ as the kids would not want snacks from the food booth if they have freshly baked goodies to snack on.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Lol

I found myself nearly force feeding cookies to the kids as I had baked too much.
LOL ... I force feed myself ... couldn't let them go to waste, right! Well, they went to waste, alright ... my "waist"!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
jampss, so true. We really could all do with a little cutting back

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I agree. When I came back from vacation I noticed the cookie tin was still out on the table in our office. I opened it and saw that there were still cookies inside. They'd been there for three weeks (that's how long I'd been on vacation) and so I threw them out. My coworkers did eat a lot of them though because when I first brought them in they were pilled so high you couldn't close the lid. I was happy everyone liked them. At my house however, there was not a crumb to be found. My family went through them at the party and whatever was left they took home.