zipline help please

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

my boys have a wooden army fort in the garden. thought would put it to use with the elves, i am making the elves army outfits (or buying small army print dog coats).. the fort is about 20-25ft from the house and is 8ft high at point of roof, the windows in the side are obviously lower.

now my dilema, the 2 rooms out the back upstairs are my boys bedrooms, they will notice something hanging from their windows when they go to bed (even if hanging down by wall etc. and in december its too cold to open windows once they in bed. i do have back door and lounge windows downstairs but these are not going to make 4 a high zipline.

any ideas please???

plus, is there a way i can attacth elf as though sliding to the fort in mid air etc??? i'm happy for others to be in the fort already.

thanks

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Other than going outside after they go to bed and hanging the elves on the zip-line, I'm at a loss for ideas. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
Other than going outside after they go to bed and hanging the elves on the zip-line, I'm at a loss for ideas. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

i will have to go out after they in bed to set it all up, but i dont know HOW to fix the elf to the zip line, when i work out how i'm making it.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
For the zip line, maybe you could use clear fishing line attached to a hook or make a hook using a bent paper clip. You could attatch the hook to the corner of the window during the day, since it is clear, maybe your kids won't notice it, or if they do, since the elves won't be using it, you can just play along like you don't know either. You could also just have them zip line from the fort to a tree instead, or even the roof of the fort to another camp set up on the ground. To attatch them to the zip line, maybe you could attatch a small piece of velcro to their hands and they can hang on it, or make some kind of seat with a seat belt for them.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
maybe you can creat some kind of harnes for them. that you tie to the zip line and put them in it.
or like jinglemom said, use a clothes hanger to attach (tie) to the zipline and tie them to that.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
thanks for replies.

i dont have any trees in the garden :( so that wont work, but the fort to the ground would.

really just trying to get ideas so i can get the best of it.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
you could use a carabiner to attach them to the zipline. Put a string or something around their waste and then a loop on the end to slip on the zipline.

Very creative Idea! So fun!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Do you have a way to snap a few picts and post them here in the community section of the area? that might help us w/ some ideas on how to attach it.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
Do you have a way to snap a few picts and post them here in the community section of the area? that might help us w/ some ideas on how to attach it.

house n garden - will go take some and add to my photos bit

***photos taken and added to the album of the royal wedding garden party, i have added description to them, if there are any other bits like the fort etc that may help let me know and i can take them***

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
What about buying a wood or metal garden trellis, you can find these marked down towards the end of summer. Have the elf zipline from the top of the trellis to the fort?

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
What about buying a wood or metal garden trellis, you can find these marked down towards the end of summer. Have the elf zipline from the top of the trellis to the fort?

where do you mean for me to put the trellis?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
where do you mean for me to put the trellis?

Trellis come in different sizes and they stake right onto the ground. Try staking it in different places around your yard/house until you find the right spot for it and if the kids question the trellis you could just say you are thinking about using it next spring for flowers and your are justing trying to find the right location for it.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
makes sense now, sorry i was trying to work out how to use the trellis, but thats an option.

IF i do the fort whilst they still at school i can play during the day so i no where it going etc and then just put all out at night.

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I get alot of ideas from looking at what elves do in pictures on the Elf-Magic website and their facebook page. Also, google elf mishcheif or elf ideas and then click on images. There are some other elf sites on facebook too. I look at the blogs of all those that I know have elves. I've actually printed out lots of pictures that I keep in a binder on the top shelf of my closet so when the time comes to do one of these ideas, I won't have to go back and search the web.

(isn't that sad, I'm got elf pictures hidden on the top shelf......Nothing naughty for me and dh! :( lol! )

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I was thinking you could also have the zip line go from the fort to a nail in the fence. You could hang a snowflake ornament or something on the nail too, then have another elf fort area set up by the fence. Another possibility is, if you have an outdoor chair. turn the chair into an elf fort by putting an inexpensive plastic tablecloth over the seat and attach the zip line to the arm of the chair. The elves can go from your kids fort down to the elf fort.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
I was thinking you could also have the zip line go from the fort to a nail in the fence. You could hang a snowflake ornament or something on the nail too, then have another elf fort area set up by the fence. Another possibility is, if you have an outdoor chair. turn the chair into an elf fort by putting an inexpensive plastic tablecloth over the seat and attach the zip line to the arm of the chair. The elves can go from your kids fort down to the elf fort.

that could be quite good idea, thanks. (amy ponders idea of making a mini fort from cardboard and papier marche varnished.....or wood!!!)

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
well......things have progressed!!!

about a week ago i cut down an old ppine cd unit and placed part of it in kitchen to store pot of pens n notebook, boys hair gel n comb n other bits that i kept moving from the worktops (that seemed to find way back there few days later). i forgot about the top 3 shelves and left them stood by the bin ready to go out. BUT then last night i had a bright idea to turn the shelves into an elf size fort!!!

so today whilst me, hubby n baby "went shopping" the elves came and "took" the wood as they have plans for it. they have sent me an email saying they have taken it and bertie dropped his named pen and 3 gold coins on the floor!!! kids will believe he has been this way. the only way to describe what we have done is like this - H but has a flat roof over the top of the H. down the right side as you look at it is a ramp. the front is all open at the moment BUT it will be sorted, ran out of time b4 boys come home school. will take some pics tomorrow. x