Day After Christmas Shopping - What is your plan?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have been starting a running list in my head of things I would like to pick up for a discounted price the day after Christmas this year!

What things are you planning to try and pick up - either the day after Christmas or in the next several days after?

What challenges do you think we will face this year in light of stores carrying less stock and having more agressively marked things down before Christmas arrives?

What stores do you usually have the best luck at?

What kind of percentages off Christmas items do you usually manage to get? At what stores?

What extra tips, tricks or ideas do you have to share to maximize time and money spent in this sort of shopping endeavor?

Share, share, share, pretty please!
:elf:

MissBrittany

Premiere Member
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I don't have a plan this year, but here are some stores that typically start their semi-annual sales the day after (or the week after) Christmas:

The Childrens Place
Victoria's Secret
Bath & Body Works
Yankee Candle Company
Hallmark

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Day After Christmas Shopping List:

LED Lights - As many sets as I can snag for a good price
Christmas Cards
Tissue Paper
Bows - Not really wanting the standard kind, looking for the fancier kinds that I can't afford unless they are marked down!

What challenges do you think we will face this year?

I love, LOVE Lang Christmas Cards - and usually can pick them up for 50% off at Hobby Lobby. However, all but 2 boxes of the Lang cards are gone as of yesterday. :( It wasn't a type I wanted so I passed on the 2 boxes that were there.

They usually have tons left over but obviously ordered less this year. I remember seeing lots of pretty cards left over at Meijer last year - so maybe I will have good luck there! Crossing my fingers!

Stores vs Percentages

The last two years, Hobby Lobby has only gone 50% off the day after Christmas. No better than their pre-Christmas sales. So I won't be going there this year. I will wait and try to hit them when the percentage off climbs - less items will be left - but we will see.

Does anyone know of anyone who will be MORE than 50% off the day after Christmas?

I usually have really good luck at Wal-mart - since their prices are already low. I will definitely hit them and Meijer this year.

Target would be a last stop - although they do tend to have prettier decorative type things - wreaths, topiaries, etc.

Sam's Club is also tempting - although it would be far out of my way - they have BEAUTIFUL arrangements (weaths, centerpieces, etc.) and nice wrapping paper, ribbon, etc. too. We will see!

Extra tips, tricks or ideas

Here is a great idea I picked up from my recent foray into the world of couponing! Clip and save coupons for things you normally wouldn't use them on - Ziplock brand bags, Glade candles, brand name liquid soaps, etc.

Make sure the coupon doesn't expire until at least 12/26/10!!!

Then during your day after shopping sales score BIG savings on all the merchandise for these brands that the store has slashed prices on just because the packing is holiday packaging!!!

Get the sale PLUS the coupon. Double coupons depending on the store. For example, my Meijer will double coupons up to a $1. Hip hip, hooray!

I totally don't mind using ziplock bags that come out of a holiday theme box - would you? :)

So that is my tip for this year! I'll let you know how things go for me!

Last edited:

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
What things are you planning to try and pick up - either the day after Christmas or in the next several days after?

I have my eye on some 50 yard spools of ribbon at Sam's club. Some of which aren't, IMO, just for Christmas, I could use year 'round.

Hope to find votive candles that I plan to use for gifts next year.

Always looking for picks and greenery.

What challenges do you think we will face this year in light of stores carrying less stock and having more agressively marked things down before Christmas arrives?

I've started my after Christmas shopping already. I've hit AC Moore and Michael's already.

Also, I try not to be too specific in my wants (except for that darn ribbon at Sam's with the red and green polka dots), that way, I am not disappointed and I feel free to pick up stuff that is clearly a great bargain

What stores do you usually have the best luck at?

Christmas Tree Shops, Wal - Mart and, believe it or not, the grocery store.

What kind of percentages off Christmas items do you usually manage to get? At what stores?

Has to be atleast 50% for me to consider it, and I troll the stores weekly from that point on until they get to 75 / 80 / 90%

What extra tips, tricks or ideas do you have to share to maximize time and money spent in this sort of shopping endeavor?

Keep expectations low.
Get out there this week or next, as stuff is beginning to be reduced already.
Look in drug stores and grocery stores, as they need to move seasonal merchandise out faster than tcraft stores and the big box stores.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I waited even a little longer last year and got Hallmark cards for a little over a $1.00 a box. No one else probably liked them, but I thought they were cool.

I'm not sure about going out after Christmas. Target is always a favorite though, because I like their wrapping supplies.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love DAC shopping

I do go the DAC sales. I have a list but am open to finding gifts that I think someone would like. I try to always buy a few rolls of plain colored paper for gift wrapping year around. My favorite is plain white or gold because they can be dressed up for any one or occasion. White is now hard to find. Ribbons and gift tags are always on the list also. One year I found brown which was nice for the men's gifts. Maybe since brown is popular for decorations I'll find it again.

I also keep in mind items I wanted to buy but am too practical to pay the full price. Then I hit up the stores I saw the items hoping for a good buy.

I always hit up the Hallmark store and sometimes drive to another one if I see something really good.

My dream gift--12 big rolls of all white wrapping paper.

MissBrittany

Premiere Member
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I have 2 local Hallmark stores and the one in the bigger city sells out of all clearanced holiday items within a week. The one in the smaller city has a smaller selection to begin with. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I did pick up two rolls of wrapping paper at 50% off this week - gold with large polka dots in a contrasting (muted) gold finish and red with small white polka dots.

I figure that depending on the occasion I can dress the gold paper up for weddings and/or birthdays.

I think the red and white polka dots will be too cute with black and white bows or ribbon - very Minnie Mouse! lol Cute for birthday presents too!

ANOTHER TIP: Crackers, Oreo cookies, parchment paper, aluminum foil, gladware containers, Kleenex and trash bags are other things that usually have holiday packaging and thus will go 50% the day after Christmas...

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm not sure if there will be anything left to buy after Christmas. A lot of the stores are already empty. Should be interesting to see what is left.

Last year I went to Michael's a few days after Christmas and got a huge load of stickers and card making supplies for 70% off.

I am hoping to find cards and ribbon this year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
aHorseSoul, have you ever bought freezer paper and used it as wrapping paper. I have a friend who does that. It looks great.

I noticed Wal-Mart has already started marking down the ornaments. I would like to look for some wreath and swag forms after Christmas. I also need cards for next year. Everything else, I am pretty set with. I really racked up after Christmas last year. I wondered earlier tonight if anyone would put tape on clearance.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Auntjamelle, I think I used that same gold paper when I wrapped gifts tonight. I got it last year on clearance. It's very, very cute and versatile for sure.

I decided tonight, that I'm not just going to buy any wrapping paper anymore becuase it's on sale. I'm pretty picky, but the cheap stuff just isn't cutting it these days. After using Hallmark and some of the heavy duty paper from Hobby Lobby, I really want to get rid of some old rolls I have. I have so much paper, that some I've had for years. Mostly kid stuff I had when my daughter was younger.

((Oh NOOOOO, I'm becoming like my mother))

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
most of our stores are marking things down some are at 20% off which is good as i like to get christmas decorations,cards whatever catches my eye at the time.:rudolph::santa:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am planning to scope out the current locations of the grocery type items that should go half off the day after Christmas. That way I can zip right to the end cap or aisle display, etc. I am making one last pre Christmas run to Meijer tonight for some groceries...will take a look around at what is even left at this point. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Stores around here have sales before christmas and not much left afterwards. the thing is there is no way I'm going to the stores these days ... people are mad!! I've got enough wrapping paper for next year. I would need cards though.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I don't have a plan, and usually don't shop right after Christmas, but just the other day I started a list of things I want/need:

Wrapping paper
Cards
Rubbermaid bins
Ornaments

That's all I have so far...

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
I'm making a list too! Since the day after Christmas is a Sunday, I know at least one of our Hallmark stores will be closed. I'm hoping to stop at a few places after church on Sunday.

I am looking for...

Jim Shore Figurines--LOVE THEM!
Items that are blue and white with SNOWFLAKES. My DD wants to have an iceskating birthday party in August. I am looking for items that can be used for the party.
Items that can be used year round---Glad Press and Seal, Garbage bags, etc.
Hallmark Disney ornaments but I will wait until they are 75% off

I will not be buying...

Wrapping Paper! Just bought a TON and made money on it at Walgreen's. They had a Register Rewards deal and I bought wrap made by Hallmark and TONS of white tissue paper.

I am going out tomorrow to scope out what is left.

Glenda

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Those are all great tips! I'm afraid in my area after Christmas sales are going to be limited. Michaels is already having a 70% off sale as was JoAnn's this past weekend. I picked up a box of cards there and some clear glass ornaments used in crafting. I don't know if these stores have after Christmas merchandise they put out but I was disappointed that they didn't have more than they did. I do know that Dillards has a great sale on New Year's Day on Christmas items as well as everything throughout the store. 2 years ago we bought our Christmas tree for $75.00, regularly 400.00. Last year I bought some great table linens for almost nothing. Also World Market has their Christmas candy for 50% off now. They were packed yesterday when I was there and their merchandise was going fast.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't have any must haves except maybe some more gift bags and tissus paper. I use them alot. I can't go the day after this year unfortunatly. I tend to go to Target and go alot. They move stuff around and different stores have different stuff. You can usually find the schedule on line for when they go 75% and then 90% off. I can usually still find some good deals those days b/c I go first thing in the AM.