April declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Let's keep up the good work! My plan for April is start on the basement. I KNOW I have lots of stuff to get rid of down there.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Another month to declutter!! I love it.

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Finishing closets, and the back to the ol' craft room. Have learned over the years which type of crafts I tend to do more of, so the unusual items I bought to do some craft I don't remember 8 years ago will have to go on their merry way.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I still need to work in my laundry room///aka: garage///aka: storage room///stash under stairs...whatever we call it, it needs WORK!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Declutter list for the week from 365 less things.

Monday – Declutter something made of glass, china or similar breakable substance.
Tuesday – Declutter a, not too, sentimental item.
Wednesday – Declutter something made from paper.
Thursday – Declutter something you are keeping “just in case”.
Friday – Declutter something made from fabric.
Saturday – Declutter something you have more than enough of.
Sunday - Sunday is reserved for contemplating one particular item, of your choice that is proving difficult for you to declutter. Whether that be for sentimental reasons, practical reasons, because the task is laborious or simply unpleasant, or because the items removal requires the cooperation of another person. That last category may mean that the item belongs to someone else who has to give their approval, it could also mean there is a joint decision to be made or it could mean that the task of removing it requires assistance from someone else. There is no need to act on this contemplation immediately, it is more about formulating a plan to act upon or simply making a decision one way or another.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This afternoon I am having a big declutter session with the kids. Starting in the kitchen. Trying to ramp myself up. I got an idea. I'm going to bring in a card table. Everything not in its proper home will go onto the card table. The kids can then grab from the card table and put it in its proper home. (If this works, I'm going to use the same strategy in other rooms -- I often do this with a basket but I'm expecting some heavy items). What I expect to happen is this: There is not enough room to put stuff in their proper place because the kids are hogging up two large drawers with their plastic ware and junk food. I'm hoping they realize this on their own. Wish me luck. I will report back.

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Good luck, Cindylouwho!

Sorted through plastic Easter eggs today. I somehow accumulated LOTS of them, but I only need enough for 1 basket. Tossed cracked ones or ones that no longer stay closed. Filled a gallon-size freezer bag to go to Goodwill. Plan to drop them off tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
well i think that i will get a lot of decluttering done in April. DH, the kids and I are moving house this month and as I start packing, stuff I don't want to take with us will be OUT. This is a surprise move for us, so I am glad that I have been decluttering over the past few months. It will make things alot easier.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Update on the card table approach to declutter: It worked great! I put it in the middle of the room and loaded it up. The kids walked in when I called them and said "Wow Mom, that's really smart!" It was all put away SO fast. It really helped having "what doesn't belong" separated from "what DOES belong". So we are going to be using our little card table more in the future.

Wish it could sort paper for me. ;-) But hey, maybe it could help sort piles to keep them off the floor? I hate sorting papers on the floor as if I get interrupted they often get scooped up by someone and put aside.

So the kitchen is decluttered. The patio was also decluttered as we are reworking our entryway. I'm eyeing the guest room. We have visitors coming.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cindylouwho, having guests is always a great motivation, and a cosy neat guest room is always nice. Good luck with the decluttering.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love the card table method!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SweetPumpkinPye - You are moving? I was just saying to DH this morning that what we needed was a good move across country and back just so we can decluttter. ;-) I wish you strength and sanity. Moving is hard!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I cleaned the cabinets above the washer and dryer in the bathroom today. Threw out one whole garbage bag of stuff. Now I need to do the vanity in there.

Cindylouwho, I love the card table idea, but I don't have one!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cindylouwho, yes moving........thanks for yor best wishes, we need all the help we can get lol

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Trying to tackle at minimum a pile a day for the next several weeks at least. Yesterday I got home and was tired but committed to 15 min to get the boxes that have been sitting at the top of the stairs unloaded and moved to their proper home. Had the kids each declutter for 15 min also DD got the floor of her closet picked up and found a box for all of her sports shoes. DS got his baseball gear all gathered and stored in one container (instead of 5). Thats a big thumbs up for 15 minutes! Will do again today.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cindylouwho - that is great work! and getting the kids to help is a biggy.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
We have a hall/loft area that is our library, with floor to ceiling bookcases. We've just had it painted -- burgundy red walls and white(ish) woodwork. It's now time to put the books back. Very slow going with me having to look through every book (many of them Christmas books) to decide if I want to keep it or give it away, or take it to a second-hand bookstore. It will probably take me all of next week to do it, but I'm doing it! I remember when we were first married, I went to a big book sale, so I could get some books to decorate our house! What was I thinking?! We now have books coming out our ears! I have a floor to ceiling bookcase in my sewing room, and my husband has a lot of built-in bookcases in his office. All are chock full of books. (I can do this, I can do this...)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ChristmasRose I have to go through my books too but it is taking soooo long... I want to reread most of them to be sure first :)