1st 2012 Dinner

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Anyone making anything?

I'm doing a New Year's dinner based off of what I read in Simple Abundance:

* black eyed peas- for luck

* Rice- for good health

* Collard Greens- for prosperity

~black eyed peas-I did the black eyed peas with diced red and green pepper, red onion, mixed in a vinagrette. Served at room temperature and can place over salad greens for a delicious salad. It's marinating now.

~Collard greens- Are cooking- never have made these before. I'm using a Paula Deen recipe.

~Rice- Doing a wild rice mix

Main course- We usually do ham but we are hamed out- had it for Christmas dinner and our family Christmas dinner which was this past Friday. So, today I'm doing simple baked salmon with lemon pepper. Need something a bit lighter after all the heavy foods we've consumed!

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Sounds great Annie! We always have pork roast and sauerkraut for new year's day...oh and hot dogs and kielbassi too. It must be a European immigrant thing since my family has been doing it forever!

My mom is cooking so I'll be eating there tonight!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lisa- Last night at my friend's house- her DH was cooking pork shoulder with sauerkraut. He makes it every year. It had been cooking all day. I tasted it- DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I asked him where the tradition came from and he said, "My relatives in Pennsylvania always do it." I thought of you!

I want to do it next year. Or- maybe in the coming weeks!

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Annie~that is so neat! Maybe it is just a Pennsylvania thing! I know there were several FB comments about everyone in this area making pork and kraut today. :0)

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
We always have Walking Tostadas (our version of seven layer Mexican dip) with round tortilla chips so that we can watch movies, parades, football, etc.
without having to cook, clean up, etc.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
We had crock-pot carolina pulled pork, mac and cheese, and coleslaw-easy and good...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Seafood Casserole

I always made my mom's Seafood Casserole until DS decided he wanted Lobster for his Birthday dinner. We had an excellent dinner. The Flourless Chili Chocolate cake was wonderful. DS said he loved all his gifts. I never did get out to get the rest of the gifts I wanted for him since I was busy with DD but I'll give them to him as I get them.

1 can of lobster meat (about 6 oz)
1 can lump crab meat
1 can of whole shrimp
Use any leftover fish or a fillet of frozen white fish

Make a cream Sauce (recipe below). Season with salt and pepper. Add seafood and 1 cup of grated American cheese.

For a long time mine didn't turn out as good as my mom's and then I found out she didn't drain off the juice in the cans of seafood.

White Sauce
1 cup cold milk
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Stir the corn starch into the cold milk. Add butter, salt and pepper. Stir constantly over medium heat. Let boil (while stirring) for 1 minute.
This makes 1 cup of sauce. The above recipe can use two cups.

I usually use sometimes use cream instead of milk.

Serve the seafood over rice. This looks really nice put in scallop dishes and put under the boiler for a few minutes.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/66305709/2-french-scallop-dishes-coquille-saint

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I usually make ham and beans with cornbread and maybe some fried potatoes, but i'm the only one that will eat them so I didn't make any this year. My mom sent me a picture of hers. :)

We had nasty McDonalds since we were on the road to pick up DS.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We had rotisserie chicken with fries & gravy at MIL's with bil, sil, dnephew+hiswife + 3 kids.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
We had traditional game day food. Finger food/appetizers for dinner.

Chili Con Queso and Chips, Potato Skins, Meatballs, and a veggie tray. :) The kids love finger food days. Since it was a holiday, I made punch. Well, 7yo ds was underfoot and distracting me and somehow I managed to put the liquid from the jalepeno jar (for the queso) into the punch instead of the queso. It was ummm...spicy punch. The kids each had a glass; but it was not so good and you could even smell the spice if you just stood near the punch bowl. I added extra ice cream and punch trying to drown out the flavor and scent, but it seemed like it only made it worse. LOL I ended up pouring most of it down the drain. I'm sure that story is going to stick...I can already hear my kids telling my future grandkids about the New Years that we had jalepeno punch. Good times. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My dinner turned out very good.

My collard greens were too salty but it's the first time I've attempted them. So.......... Maybe some tweaks- if I make them again before NY 2013! Hahaha.

Everybody loved the black eyed pea salad. My mom asked for some for today. I could see making that throughout the year.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Well, 7yo ds was underfoot and distracting me and somehow I managed to put the liquid from the jalepeno jar (for the queso) into the punch instead of the queso. It was ummm...spicy punch. The kids each had a glass; but it was not so good and you could even smell the spice if you just stood near the punch bowl. I added extra ice cream and punch trying to drown out the flavor and scent, but it seemed like it only made it worse. LOL I ended up pouring most of it down the drain. I'm sure that story is going to stick...I can already hear my kids telling my future grandkids about the New Years that we had jalepeno punch. Good times. lol

You will have to write down this punch recipe. Future generations will want to make it. lol
This is priceless.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
candysprinkles- That would be a good punch if you were doing it Bloody Mary Style!!!!! Heck, a lot of people would have liked that yesterday!

Kids, not so much...........

Annie