2011 What are you reading this year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Colleen - I was just going to write and say that I am enjoying Game of Thrones but you're way ahead of me!

I'm also reading People of the Weeping Eye by O'Neal and the Idiot's Guide to Paganism.

For some reason I think I've been reading more than I have been - but I guess not:)

Debbie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just finished 'Are you afraid of the dark' by Sidney Sheldon. Quick & good read.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love that name "Are you Afraid of the Dark"! Ordered it from my library in LARGE print for my old eyes! tfs

Update: Finished it too. I agree. Readable and is quick. I certainly thought it would be scarier.
Also finished Delicious Dexter. Must say the TV series is better than the books. Blood just makes a bigger impact being seen than reading about. lol I do love Dexter. The books are not so much like the shows so it's another story and not boring reading the same thing.

Reading for this week:
What the Night Knows-Dean Koontz
Kaiulani, The Royal Diaries-Ellen E White
Fall of Giants-Ken Follett
The Pleasure Palace, Secrets of the Tudor Court-Kate Emerson--was ok
Stalking Susan-Julie Kramer--I liked this book mainly because I live not from from the Twin Cities so I knew the places it was talking about

Movies:
Destination Forks, the real world of twilight-mainly for my dd when she spends the night this week
RED-mainly because it has Morgan Freeman and I thought the preview looked like it might be ok

Thanks everyone for suggesting such a great reading list that keeps on growing.
Lisa, Have ordered Water for Elephants from my library. tfs

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Finished 1022 Evergreen Place by Debbie Macomber.

Now i'm starting The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm working on Water for Elephants and One Thousand Gifts~A Dare to Live Fully RIght Where You Are

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm currently reading Listen by Rene Gutteridge.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My library didn't have Masquerade or anything by Janet Daily so I have to pass on that one. Darn.

I've ordered Listen from the library. Very interesting. It would be weird to see a posting of my conversations online. lol

I've started several books since Friday. "Black Widow" by Randy White I only got into chapter 3 before losing interest. "What the night Knows"--On chapter 16 but I can put the book down and not finish it so I started "Fall of Giants". I know Follett has a lot of background to lay down in the first chapters of his books. Just wasn't holding my short attention span. Now I've started "Water for Elephants". Also have Christmas Presence" in my library bag along with another Dexter book.

I've been thinking it's about time to re-read the Outlander series again (6th or 7th time). When I read them I read one book right after another to keep the story fresh in my mind. Would have to put the books I've ordered from the library on a freeze if I decide to do read this series. I also would like to read the Clan of the Cave Bear series but I know this series starts to bore me after the second book.

Maybe it's time to read some hot steamy books for a change of pace. lol

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Finished Game of Thrones and I'm going to start Clash of Kings immediately on the Kindle.

Also finished The Weeping Eye and People of the Thunder by Gear. I bought most of the rest of the First North Americans series so I'm starting with book 1, People of the Wolf. I'll see how many of those I can read before I need to get to a different place and time:)

Debbie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Definitely not a book for the squeamish. It's about Vietnam and experiences there.

Now i'm reading 6 Rainier Drive by Debbie Macomber. Next will be The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My library didn't have Masquerade or anything by Janet Daily so I have to pass on that one. Darn.

I've ordered Listen from the library. Very interesting. It would be weird to see a posting of my conversations online. lol

I know what you mean Diedra. You never know who is listening or where

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
You know you can do a research on google... type your name and you'll see all that comes out.. usually everything you've ever posted.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I sent someone a list of her personal info that could be gleaned from the Internet. She was shocked. A little scary. But if someone wanted info on you they could also do it the old fashioned way--dig into your trash. lol

I've also found a personal letter or a recipe or photos in books I've checked out of the library. I now have book markers all over the house so I will not be tempted to use a letter that I might forget in a book that I return. lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was up until 11:30 last night reading "Water for Elephants". Loved how it ended.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm going to add "Water for elephants" to my wish list.

I just finished reading "Listen." I'm alternating between reading & knitting as I keep an eye on DGD. Below is the B & N reveiw I wrote.

I highly recommend this book. I wish it was part of High School's reading list. I don't think we really stop to consider just how powerful words really are. I don't think anyone should evade another's privacy. But I think the world would definately be a better place if we thought before we spoke. And learned to control our tongue...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
okay I just did a search on my name, which I hadn't done in a long time and man...there was a TON of stuff I didn't know about. My business, IB parent group newsletters and then all the normal social stuff you would think of. Weird!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I also skimmed through Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson.

Now i'm reading 311 Pelican Court by Debbie Macomber.

On deck 50 Harbor Street by Debbie Macomber.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Hit up the library yesterday. So for this week I have:

Unlaced by Jaci Burton, Jasmine Haynes, Joey W Hill and Denise Rossetti--read it last night, it's fast reading, short stories from each writer. Was just OK.
Snow Globe-Sheila Roberts
The Devil in the White City--Erik Larson
The Flame Keepers--Ned Handy and Kemp Battle
The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent--thinking I may have read this before
Her Honor by William J Coughlin
The Valentine's Day Murder

Movies
War Dogs of the Pacific
The Red Shoes
10 minute Solution Pilates for beginners

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just finished Charlotte's Lam - walking in darkness - what a finale!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Read 1 1/2 of the Manning Brides by Debbie Macomber. It's ok. They are similar in story line (she falls in love w/ him, him w/ her but neither want to admit to it.) gets a little slow going.

Bought Pirate Latitude by Michael Crichton. I tried to start it before but didn't get very far. I found it at a yard sale so I have plenty of time this time around.

Mom gave me iY generation about the newest wave of kids coming up and raising them. Interesting.