2015 HHP-Week 2 - Calendar & Creativity 9/6-9/12

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Becca

Retire Member
Aug 17, 2013
Good Morning Ejagno

I agree.. I sewed just a Little patch on a vest yesterday and now my room is a mess... Im glad to join in right now.. heading to florida for 2weeks this Friday, but today i will work on my craft Master list and this week take 1 day before the trip to organize and inventory my craft room..
May miss a few weeks, but its just me and a very small extended family.. Tons of friends, but it will be easy to get back on track after I get home at the end of the month..

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leftovers to finish from Week 1. Mostly done. Just a little more to go on each:
Declutter my desk
Declutter my files
Copy Christmas list from Excel to an app and back it up
Finalize Christmas budget with DH
Update sync iPhones and calendars
Make hard decisions on computers, the cloud & photo software.
Family Values talk

I'm always SO thankful for Week 2, as it makes me successful on Week 1. My office space and my craft space are pretty closely linked because my craft space is in my mudroom and that room is also the main freeway for all paper coming INTO the house. It is also the launching pad for all things going OUT of the house. Right now it is FILLED with paper piles and clothes that are leaving. It is getting a big heave-ho this week!

Dream: I really want to repurpose the whole space and make the storage more verical. For Pete's sake, in the winter we put our ski gear is in there too. The layout just needs to change to accommodate all we ask from that room. It has built in cabinets and counters that some folks would die for but really it just means there is lots of space for my dear family to put stuff down. It COLLECTS clutter. I kinda want the counters just gone so I can put in more jacket hooks and such but there are windows above those counters so not sure how I can use those walls when the upper half of the wall space is glass. :( I wish I could remove the windows too but it just isn't an option without major construction.

Week 2 Goals --
Seasonal Calendar - Need dates so can finish syncing our calendars.
Holiday Travel - We stay home at Christmas. But crystal ball, will there be snow?
Pinterest Christmas pages - Review for ideas for this year.
Review Gift Lists
Start Gifts to Make List
Organize Recipes - (Techinically I don't think this is til Week 10 but this falls in the "paper" category for me and I need an early start here to get my recipes organized. They usually get pretty messed up each year as I yank the cards out of the book and scribble notes all over them).

______

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
CindyLou, I know all too well how easily those horizontal spaces become magnets for mountains of "stuff". I have one unused doorway that goes to the back deck that I simply locked and put tensions rods from top to bottom to hold deco mesh and ribbon. I suppose the same thing could be done with that large expanse of glass. Use tension rods and from there you can hang buckets or baskets for each family member using "S" hooks.

Today I opened the craft room door and simply started on the right side of the doorway which is home to stacking bins of yarn in every size, texture and color along with tons of unfinished projects. What a tangled mess of yarn I had going on in there. I've literally spent hours placing each project with it's instructions inside individual Ziploc bags so that when I am watching tv or just feel like knitting or crocheting it doesn't take an hour to find everything in that jumbled mess. I'm setting the projects next to my chair so that I can work on finishing them while watching tv. I'm no where near finished but I am proud of the great start.

So how is everyone else coming along?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
First of all, I'm still chuckling about the hanging routers from last weeks thread. :) We haven't had any issues but I like the creativity of using a hanging basket.

For this week in the Household Area:

Declutter and clean creative spaces:
We don't have a craft room but a shelves in various parts our basement for craft supplies. I might try to get the craft supplies all in one area and declutter them when my children are home. They are the crafty ones in the family.

I'm going to go through more paper work this week since the craft area is light for me. I have lots of old files that I thought I'd use in teaching but haven't used in ages. I think it's time to toss them.

As for the Holiday Prep, the two things that apply to me are:
  • Start and use a list - I need to do this. From experience, I hate the last minute running around b/c I didn't take the time now to sit and list things that I will need to buy like stocking stuffers, etc.
  • Review Gift List - I streamlined my gifts for teachers, bus drivers, etc. two years ago. I tend to buy a combination of coffee and biscotti or tea and cookies, or jams for everyone. It has really helped to reduce the stress for me.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Mary, way to go on continuing with your paperwork decluttering during a light week. I too detest last minute shopping so I'll be working to update and revise my shopping list as well.

CindyLou, how's that multi-purpose area coming along?

Today my goal is:

[ ] finish up with all of the knit and crochet items in my craft room
[ ] bring all of the rest of the donate items to Goodwill
[ ] Cook ahead a few meals for the week as well as extra for the freezer
[ ] Catch up on laundry that I've let slide this past week

I do hope everyone has a wonderful and productive day beginning week 2 of our House & Holidays Plan.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have one unused doorway that goes to the back deck that I simply locked and put tensions rods from top to bottom to hold deco mesh and ribbon. I suppose the same thing could be done with that large expanse of glass. Use tension rods and from there you can hang buckets or baskets for each family member using "S" hooks.

....tangled mess of yarn I had going on in there. I've literally spent hours placing each project with it's instructions inside individual Ziploc bags ... I'm setting the projects next to my chair so that I can work on finishing them while watching tv.

I like the tension rod and baskets idea. Will noodle it while I'm cleaning... It is very visible from the driveway so it has to look good on both sides. Maybe some half shutters and then tension rods... Hmm.

Good job on the yarn packs! Great idea!

Okay, I've got to get moving on all of this. I've finished my coffee. Time to take the cat off my lap! Much to do as I'll be gone this weekend too and want to keep it all on track. Finishing Week 1 and kicking off Week 2! Here I go!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
One of the beautiful things that happens every year during my holiday cleaning is that it gives me a chance to reevaluate things. I like to have things where they are used.

Last week was the bar that DH and I didn't use that became much better served as an office. DH loves the light, the space and most of all having his stuff organized so that everything is easily accessible.

This week I've already realized that I do all of my knitting in crocheting in my office yet it was located at the other end of the house in the craft room. I took my time and moved all of my "fiber arts" to the office where I always sit to work on them while I watch tv and it has much better lighting. Sure, knitting and crocheting are "crafts" but if I don't work on it in that room then there was no reason to have it in this room. Time after time I would drag a project into the office and then just set it down there because it had no "home" unless I went across the entire house to go put it away.

My whole point is that when you are working on a specific area or room take a really close look at how this room is utilized and are the only things in this room related to it's purpose or can it be better suited for another purpose. It's good to take some time to reevaluate your needs!

I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked but I am happy that I found a better home for the yarn and accessories.

CindyLou, you can easily put thick sheers behind the baskets and such to give a nice balanced look from the street and have the utilitarian function you need on the inside.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I agree -- as this plan comes around every year, it makes me stop and really evaluate what is working and not working.

Got a lot done yesterday -- much clearing of the mudroom/craftroom/freeway and getting boxes loaded into the car for donation. Feels better. Tackled one cupboard and organized the paint chips for colors I have actually used in my home and discarded all the rest. One section of the room DONE. More to go. Focus shifting back to paper today as there is a big filing cabinet in there too.

ejagno - Yes, a sheer is what i need. I have considered that but it just hit me today what "kind" of sheer. Think I may have it in my head - now I just have to see if it is out there.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hello. I'm happy to report that I did get everything checked off my list last week. Yay!!!

I'm with you, Ellen- I like to put my crafting projects into kit form because I do not/will not have a designated craft area as long as we are in this house and so that is the only way I get to craft- have it ready to go! I envy you your craft room and office space. The kits and totes are all tucked into my bedroom to keep little hands out but it's not the ideal situation because the room is not large and we have all that other stuff in there- you know, like a bed and our dressers and clothing and such. I've finished up a few of the crafts on my list, however, and I need to put away the left over supplies. I keep finding more things I want to do which makes for more kits, and my bedroom starts getting taken over. Again. But, seriously, I cannot imagine life without crafting.

CindyLou, you are doing great on getting through all that paperwork. That is my least favorite thing to do. It does feel good to get things cleared out, doesn't it?

I've been working on my gifts to make but, honestly, my biggest challenge is sewing. I don't do it enough to be very good at it so I stay really basic with my projects. I haven't had the time or ability to sew in months and months so I feel like a complete novice again and very intimidated at the thought of starting. The best thing would probably be to just jump in and get going with it.

We've begun filling in dates on the master calendar and have hung it on our main bulletin board so it's accessible to everyone. I can't believe how quickly it has already started looking full! We've started looking at airline tickets but still need to figure out where and when to get a family photo. Master gift list is done except for one person. I can't come up with a great idea for her. I have six Hallowe'en costumes to make but have a plan and have 3 mostly done- just need to hit the thrift stores for supplies.

I'd really like to stay as far ahead as possible. The last two years I've been doing great with my Christmas prep and then have been completely sidelined by some unexpected, difficult happenings and I was so glad I got done all that I did ahead of time. Not the picture perfect holidays I had envisioned, though. Just in case this makes three challenging years in a row, I'm going to keep ahead. For this week, I'm going to keep at it on my lists and crafting and maybe head down to storage to get our cool weather clothes o.t for next week. Keep up the good work, everyone. You guys inspire me to do my best!

Chris

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Everyone,

This week is not so heavy for me. Although I do a small amount of crafty stuff and I will do a little more this year. I don't have a dedicated craft room. My craft supplies fit quite nicely into a couple of baskets/ totes that are stored in the bottom section of my wardrobe. For some unknown reason the only crafty projects that I have tried only use small items- wood shapes, stickers etc- so they are not bulky. I have added to my collection this year but again only small items. I have started tapestry again but there already come in a kit form- and are easy to take from room to room as I need them. Im really only doing them when DS is swimming anyway- bits are being done at home- the fiddly bits that I really need to concentrate on!

I have however decided on my craft type projects for this year and I have ordered everything that I will need to complete them. Waiting on orders to arrive.

I have done as much to the calender as I can. Some dates are not yet out. I have scheduled carpet cleaning and professional window cleaners- we live on the beach and windows get very salty. The professionals get a much better finish and are able to get to the high areas that I think are too dangerous for either myself or the cleaning lady. I have the windows and glass doors professionally done twice a year- then they are easier to maintain throughout the year. I do need to schedule appointments for myself- such as hair, manicures etc. and will get onto that later this week. Actually the week is running fast- better do it tomorrow.

We don't travel at Christmas so nothing to do there.

My lists are in pretty good shape but I need to sit down with them and go through them- probably print ff another updated copy to I can see exactly where Im at. I type them up then scribble on them as I think of things and cross out as needed.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Tanya, Chris and Cindy.................you guys rock. You are all doing fantastic and I'm jealous. The craft room is my worst so I have a feeling I'll be back in this area during my easier weeks.

My "ME" day today was a complete and total disaster but I'm a really persistent Cajun girl that doesn't give up. I should have stayed home and worked on my craft room.

My first treat was having my brows waxed and the lady was so sick so I rescheduled for tomorrow. My second appt. was for my nails and was told to come back in two hours because the guy wasn't in yet. I ran more errands and had an early lunch only to come back and be told, "Oh he take the day off to rest. So sorry!" WTH! I had an appointment. This isn't the first time they've pulled this. Apparently they don't need my business.

I left and within a block of this place I was broadsided by this young lady. She jumped across 5 lanes of traffic and hit my SUV which she said she never saw because she was late getting back to work from her lunch break. I'm sore but okay. After 2 hours in the sweltering heat, while the cop sat in his air conditioned vehicle to fill out the report, I finally made it to my hair apt at 2pm. I started to cancel but was determined that something good would come out of this day if it killed me. I found another nail salon and the guy did an amazing job on my nails.

In the midst of all this my son calls to tell me they've decided to get married on Oct. 2nd and wants the reception at my house. Nah, no stress! I lie! I wanted to find a dress for my youngest son's wedding but my head hurt to bad to continue shopping so I came home. Within minutes of getting home the youngest son and his fiancée showed up to use my printer to print out their marriage license application and my printer ran out of ink. Grrrrrrr! I ran to Wal Mart to get another ink cartridge and came home with the wrong one so I decided to call it a day. I am so done with this day.

Next time I mention a "ME" day you guys need to hop on the MHH bus and come here to just knock some sense into me. Now I'm scared to death to plan future pampering appointments for myself so I'm not going near the calendar for now. LOL

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Everyone is doing great!

Ellen you can keep your 'ME' days... I don't want one of those ;) glad you didn't get hurt.

I haven't done much of anything.. just too hot. However, I plan to pick up the pace this weekend. My to-do list is ready!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Hugs Ellen.

Look at it this way. Your next ME day has to be better!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Kringle ~ High five! Way to get things done!
Tanya ~ Sounds like you are pacing great!
Holiday Mom ~ Are you enjoying the paper decluttering as much as I am? :)
Becca~ You should be off to Florida tomorrow. Have a great trip!
ejagno ~ What a day! If you were feeling sore with headaches after the accident I'm wondering you are feeling very sore today. I've been in car accidents that were not exactly worthy of a tv cop show but still had very long lasting results. Our backs remember all. Maybe a rest day after your rest day? :)

Lots more paper gone yesterday (elderly parents produce lots of paper). I'm just going to have to settle in and keep at it. Going to town today so hope to take a lot with me for donation. Better get at it!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'm glad I got started on the craft room because I was informed this morning that this room, the adjacent 12 x 12 storage room as well as the bathroom needs to be completely emptied and remodeled to convert it into an apartment again. My father in law has decided to move in with us.............in the middle of trying to prepare for a wedding reception here.

Oh, DH also informed me that he also traded his commercial mobile kitchen for another 5th wheel camper. Just 3 days ago I gave away all of the extra linens, dishes and bedding that came out of the old camper that got totaled last year.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what OVERWHELMED looks like.

Last edited:

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Ellen: Girl! That is ALOT to be hit with all at one time-yikes on the accident-so glad you were not hurt-all you can do now is the best you can and let the rest go-seriously-what would our families do without us to take the reins in all this???

I am doing what I can with the HHP and the HGP this year-so as for the craft room, I am lucky I do have one, it also has our treadmill and the closet is where all my Christmas stuff is..I have an old table and big storage boxes for all my craft what nots-which is mostly yarn-I do knit, and then there is the cross-stitch stuff-which my eyes are not great for anymore, but I am loathe to give up..it does need a good organizing, so will try to do that...paperwork is an never ending job in my house for some reason-but making headway. As for the calendar, DH is a middle school music teacher and is in a community band, church choir, and barbershop, sooo you can imagine what Dec looks like, plus there is the DD16 and all her things, we are literally out of the house every night it seems, so planning is a must..we usually go to the beach at Christmas with DS and family but thinking about going to Pigeon Forge this year-closer and more to do with kids, so getting that rolling...

Chris-yep right there with you, I am sure something will get in the way of my best intentions-but we will just keep plugging away! Every little bit helps

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ellen - It does sound overwhelming now. But take "ME" time every day even if it is to sit for 20 minutes with a book and a cup of tea.

Cindylouwho - I'm slowly getting through the paper clutter. This week is a bit more hectic with med. appts., sports and back to school events. We're also hosting a dinner Friday night so my mind is more on that this week. I think I may be working on the paper clutter for a few weeks. I really do want to get this done while the memory of more space in my cabinet is still fresh.

Chris - I have had several Christmases that didn't look like the one I dreamed of in my mind. I was so thankful that in spite of the circumstances, I was doing good enough because of the planning.

Tanya - I've seen salt water on beachfront windows and never thought about needing a professional to do them. There is nothing like looking out of freshly washed windows.

Snowlvr - December does sound super busy at your house. Do you use a menu plan for December meals? I'm trying to give menu planning more thought this year with all the activities that happen here.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Talk about ending the week with a bang. I just spent 14 hours stripping every single thing out of my store room and craft room so that this can be gutted and remodeled to serve as an apartment once again for my FIL.

I was ruthless in culling:
(1) Seasonal clothing & Formalwear
(2) Yarn (done earlier in the week)
(3) Wrapping paper collection
(4) Seasonal dishes and serving ware

I simply ran out of daylight so I will do some major culling on the seasonal décor in the morning. Right now it looks like these two rooms puked all over my entire house. I have to clean out a section of the garage before I can even get this stuff moved in there so it's going to be another long day tomorrow.

On the bright side, I did get some much needed clearing done which was actually included in next weeks HHP. I will be so happy to have my FIL right here with us instead of driving 70+ miles per day to check on him and make sure he eats 3 healthy meals a day. He'll have his own apartment with full access to our home if he chooses since it's connected with a set of French doors to our living room.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Will look into my craft cupboard tomorrow and see if there is anything in there that can go out. Would like to get a head start on what to craft next year. I have done pretty well this year and have managed to do most things on my list.