2015-House & Holidays Plan Week 1: Planning and Paperwork Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
LuLu ~ That will be me in a couple weeks. Have the beach house weekend coming up with the relatives followed by them coming back here. I find that house-guests are an excellent motivator! I'll be in catch-up mode once that is over.

ejagno - I was thinking of you because my scanner is on the wrong side of the room and I really want it on my desk. Started thinking about how I could make it wireless and then pictured your wifi router hanging in the air and decided i would deal with that another day. :) (Btw, my router "hung" under my desk in mid-air for about 2 years before DS finally built a shelf for it - only because the dog kept taking it out).

HolidayMom - I'm with you! More paper today!! :)

Blasted through GOBS of paper yesterday. Two huge piles gone. Stopped my family in their tracks when they walked by the office and saw so much of it cleared. More to go.

Actually, it took me over an hour to get my Scansnap scanner working correctly with my computer as I haven't used it since last Spring. Use it or lose it and I forgot how to work the settings. Nothing like a technology slow-down when you are all raring to go! :) YouTube sure comes in handy though -- there is an instructional video on just about everything out there. How did the cavemen ever live without it? I set up my laptop in the kitchen and just hit Play while I cleaned up the breakfast dishes. Got all caught up on the new technology for Evernote too (that company amazes me) and they showed me how to rig the settings on my computer so the whole darn thing would work. And now it does. Scanned another hour last night.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
The cavemen had all of their important writings on their walls. Hey, maybe we should just do document wallpaper. LOL

Today I didn't get much done in my house but I did deal with a lot of paperwork for my father-in-law so there ya have it.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
You girls make me laugh!

At our back kitchen door- we have 2 hanging pots. What would be in them? Pretty flowers, hanging ferns etc... NO! In one is my modem- for some reason it works better up high outside the kitchen door. DS has claimed the other one to store his stock of tennis balls.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The cavemen had all of their important writings on their walls. Hey, maybe we should just do document wallpaper. .

LOL!! :)

Tanya ~ That's a great idea though - to hide the router. Our cable guy told us the same thing, said get it up high to get around the bearing walls (which apparently can screw up the signal). Our magic spot was hovering somewhere above our front door. Think I nixed that idea. Maybe I'll revisit it with a plant pot in hand? :)

No paper done yesterday. :( But got tons of errands done and got bids lined up by several contractors for house projects this coming year. That needed to get done. More appointments today. Hope to get some paper moved out the door this evening if I'm lucky.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hello. I haven't been too productive this week, unfortunately. However, I am hoping that I can get the rest of the office set up done today. My husband is home this weekend and I told him I'd let him show off his muscles by moving things around and retrieving boxes for me.

I've been trying to work on transferring my Christmas notebook into something more manageable for running around with but we're all under the weather this week and by the time I get everybody to sleep so I can have some creative time without helpful little hands assisting, I'm pooped and don't wanna. I've had things like a budget, family values check and master list done since July. I've even gotten quite a few gifts purchased or made so I feel pretty good on that. It's just a matter of setting up and transferring and making it pretty.

Tanya- I like your hanging pots idea. I have baskets and old wooden crates with electronics and such tucked in, too. We, too, have had more than a reasonable amount of wires and such dangling from windows and ceilings and the like over the years.

Ellen- My dad actually would treat the walls like they were places to write. If he needed to take a note and there was no paper handy, watch out walls. Drove my mom nuts.:rolleyes:

Waving to everyone else.

Chris

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Chris, simply get yourself and your family better before trying to conquer any major tasks. Like you said, you were well ahead of the curve by getting a lot of things done in July. Just get better soon.

My dad wrote everything in his hand. At 70 years old he had to go back to school for some type of Lieutenant course and actually got kicked out of class for having writings in his hand. It was truck weights that he'd fined earlier that morning for being severely overloaded and had nothing to do with the class so they had to let him retake the exam. I've never seen writing in his hands since then. LOL

I didn't work on paperwork today but instead finally sat down long enough to get the family room drapes I made last year hemmed by hand. The office is on the other side of this large room so tomorrow I will try to get the matching drapes made for that side..................and hemmed this time. I really want to get some of my fall decorations done before moving on to the next room/area so I may do this as well.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Got TONS done in Week 1. Huge amounts out the door. I think I'm most excited about my big advances in becoming more paperless. I've been working on this goal a few years now and I swear, the more paperless I have become, the more trees they have chopped down to throw at me! :) The Marie Kondo thing is really hardening my resolve though and my family is joining in. It is a beautiful thing.

Glad Week 2 is also office related though so I can finish up on this:

Declutter my desk --- 3/4 DONE.
Declutter my files - 1/2 DONE.
Review online Christmas Notebook - DONE. And scanned and pitched the hardcopy.
Update Christmas list in Excel and move to an app - Chose my app. In process.
Review Christmas budget with DH - Started the conversation...
Download/ update/sync phone apps - calendars & Christmas gift apps - Started. Not done.
Make hard decisions on computers, the cloud and photo software - Moved to Week2. Research started though.
Family Values talk - find our common goals for how we want to spend our holidays. We really need to know if it is going to snow or not. Ugh. El Nino.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Back from a last hurrah of summer!

Household:
Declutter papers - Done (This was a big job but the space that is left is incredible. My husband can actually tell that the papers are gone.)

Holiday:
Figure out a daily time to work on this for the next few months (Done)
Finish Notebook (Done)
Work on Family Values (Done)
Make Budget (Done)
Make Master List (Done)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am late, but I am here.

Now that we have some sort of home life (still no kitchen and the bathroom is only half done), there are some things that I can do with the plan. Yay!!

So, I had DH get the file cabinet, printer and rolling office supply bin from the storage unit and I have been busy!!

We had 5 different envelopes crammed with receipts and papers of all kinds that we have been filling since we moved from our last house. All of those papers have been filed or gotten rid of.

I have gotten my computerized Christmas notebook and the notebook I keep in my purse updated and organized.

The last thing to do for this week is get my budget done.

You don't know how happy I am to be able to be a part of the plan this year!!! I have some serious catching up to do, but I will do it!!

Love ya!!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yay Mel,

You will get there- catching up and making the plan work for each of our homes is part of the fun!
Im so excited for you to have Christmas in your new home!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Thanks Tanya!!