2023 - HHP - Week 1 - Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
And so it begins!

Hello, everyone! Welcome back to our old-timers and a warm welcome to those who are joining us for the first time. This plan is from Cynthia Ewer’s website, Organizedhome.com. The reasoning behind this plan and links to printable pages can be found here.

Each week I'll post the plan here and then we can share what we'd like to do that week from the plan. Feel free to stop by during the week and post updates. Sometimes we'll be going strong and then life will throw us a curve ball and we can't get to the work we wanted to do that week. It's okay. Little by little, day by day, we'll get there. Let's encourage one another as we prepare for the holidays ahead.

Week 1 - Planning and Paperwork
Week 2 - Calendar and Creativity
Week 3 - Me & Mine
Week 4 - Close to Home
Week 5 - House Room
Week 6 - Wardrobe
Week 7 - Bed & Bath
Week 8 - Family Space
Week 9 - Public Space
Week 10 - Cooking Space
Week 11 - Food Storage
Week 12 - Dining Space
Week 13 - Entryway
Week 14 - Storage
Week 15 - Final Clean
Week 16 - Nearly There
Week 17 - Celebration
Week 18 - New Year’s

HHP Week 1: Planning Week

This Week's Focus: Planning and Paperwork

To make a good beginning takes planning. Where do you go to dream, to budget, to plan? This week in the House & Holidays Plan, we turn to our home's planning center. How is it working for you?

This week, we'll clean, organize and declutter the home office or planning area, and begin the basics of holiday planning: our values, our budget and our gift list.

This Week's Household Checklist

• Declutter and clean the home office or paper handling area. Declutter home office or household paper-handling areas this week. Think STOP--Sort, Toss, Organized and Put away--as you clear clutter from your space. Once free from clutter, clean the workspace for a fresh start to the Plan.
  • Set up a basic household filing system. A clean and clutter-free workspace is half the battle; next up in the war on paper clutter? An efficient household filing system. Get up to speed on the ABCs of household paper management in your organized home.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Make the promise! Plan time this week to begin preparing for the holiday season. Even 15 minutes three times a week will make a good start on holiday prep.
  • Set up a Christmas notebook. Whether it's a simple three-ring binder, a section in a paper planner, or on the computer, make a Christmas planner to hold holiday calendars, checklists and planner pages.
  • Focus on family values. Using the Family Values Worksheet, identify and focus the values your celebration will serve.
  • Create a Christmas activity center. Whether it's a simple basket or a dedicated space with a comfortable chair, set aside an area for holiday planning.
  • Establish a holiday budget. Credit card debt is nobody's idea of a great Christmas gift! This year, set financial limits before you plan the celebration. Tool of choice: a holiday budget form. Keeping tabs on expenditures as you prepare prevents overspending on the holidays.
  • Consider a Christmas savings plan. Start now to save money for Christmas. Whether you open a dedicated bank Christmas Club account, set aside cash each week or add to a gift card balance, begin to accumulate funds for holiday spending now. Your wallet will thank you, come January!
  • Begin a Master Gift List. Make a master gift list now. In the weeks to come, you'll check it a lot more than twice to organize holiday gift-giving.
What's on your list this week?

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
After working remotely from home for the last four years, I started an in-person job two weeks ago. Participating in the House and Holidays Plan will be a huge adjustment this year since I have done some housework and Christmas prep during my “commute” time and “breaks” these past four years.

This Week's Household Checklist

• Declutter and clean the desk and drawers.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Add HHP time to Google Calendar: Mon-Thurs.; 30 minutes in the evening.
  • Copy and paste last year's Google Sheets Christmas planner into a new 2023 Google Sheets Christmas Planner.
  • Update the new Google sheets to reflect Christmas 2023.
  • Check to see if the Christmas Planner binder is in Christmas Center Basket.
  • Update my Thanksgiving Timeline and Christmas Timeline for 2023.
  • Send the family a Google Survey about Christmas activities.
  • Check Christmas Card baskets for stamps and Christmas cards.
  • Check the other Christmas Basket for a Christmas-scented candle and seasonal tea bags.
  • Establish a holiday budget.
  • Begin a Master Gift List.
  • Review Master bathroom/kitchen/laundry/ cough & flu supply list.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
  • Add HHP time to Google Calendar: Mon-Thurs.; 30 minutes in the evening.
  • Copy and paste last year's Google Sheets Christmas planner into a new 2023 Google Sheets Christmas Planner.
  • Update the new Google sheets to reflect Christmas 2023.
  • Check to see if the Christmas Planner binder is in Christmas Center Basket.
  • Update my Thanksgiving Timeline and Christmas Timeline for 2023.
  • Send the family a Google Survey about Christmas activities.
  • Check Christmas Card baskets for stamps and Christmas cards.
  • Check the other Christmas Basket for a Christmas-scented candle and seasonal tea bags.
  • Establish a holiday budget.
  • Begin a Master Gift List.
  • Review Master bathroom/kitchen/laundry/ cough & flu supply list.
Am loving some of these to do's. Need to dig out my Christmas candles and melts and check my supply.
Love the idea of the Google survey about activities, I think that is a great idea for large families. I might investigate something like that for our little family, get some ideas

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
HOUSEHOLD CHECKLIST:
declutter paper area - done

HOLIDAY PREP CHECKLIST:
set up Christmas notebook on phone - done
establish budget - done

begin Master Gift list - done

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Today, I decided to pick up the bathroom/kitchen/laundry/ cough & flu items that I need or will need to replenish in the next few months. I ran to Walmart for them. Prices just keep going up. :oops: I got a good amount of the things needed but there were still quite a few items out of stock. If they don't get back in stock within the next month, I'll probably have to pay more and buy them at the grocery store.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Declutter more emails, unsubscribe to emails, try to go through some pics on phone.

Christmas - work on gift ideas for grandkids and for their stockings
decide what we will do for Christmas Eve

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Declutter more emails, unsubscribe to emails, try to go through some pics on phone.
I did an unsubscribe email session last December. That was so freeing.

My first week of adding in the Christmas prep time was a success. I like carving 30 minutes in the evening during the work week to do Christmas prep. It is my own personal reward for making it through the work day. :D

The company that I buy my Christmas cards from was running a sale so I ordered Christmas cards early. The United States Post Office will be selling their new Christmas stamp on September 19th. I'll place my order for stamps that week.

I bought one gift this week. Gifts that typically don't go on sale will be bought early. Most will be probably be bought between Black Friday and Christmas unless I catch a decent sale before then.

I have tea bags in my basket but not seasonal flavors. I'll look for them in the coming months.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
If you go on the USPS website they are selling older Christmas stamps - Peanuts - at a discount. I ordered some and got them yesterday.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did an unsubscribe email session last December. That was so freeing.
I so need to do this. I am so tired of junk emails. I also need to tidy up the computer and my phone and IPad.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
If you go on the USPS website they are selling older Christmas stamps - Peanuts - at a discount. I ordered some and got them yesterday.
Looks like you scored a bargain! :) They must have sold out before I got online the other day. :( They had the elves, and two Madonna and Child art stamps.