25th Anniversary Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

rachelw713

Retire Member
Mar 12, 2008
I'm helping a friend of ours to plan and organize a party for his parent's 25th anniversary in August. He is 23, single, with three brothers and one sister all younger than him (two still in HS). Needless to say, we are on a tight budget. This is what we know: come and go, three hours, at our church on a Saturday afternoon, no gifts, finger foods. Also, huge families on both sides, plus church members, and loads of others from the college where both of the parents work and two of the kids attend. I am anticipating anywhere from 150-250 people. He has no idea what he has gotten himself into (eyeballs rolled to the back of the head when I mentioned the words 'out of town invitations' and 'slide show'). He has been saving and he can afford to 'do it right' within reason, and he has me-the 'Queen of $100 Parties and Room Makeovers'. It's possible-but even though I've hosted loads of parties and showers, I've never done an anniversary party. This one is kind of out of my comfort zone. I have some ideas...but I would love some input from ya'll!

My biggest question is: Should I stick to the silver and white 25th theme or can I branch out a bit? I would love to do something kind of late summer related-sunflowers, blue checks, kind of country...that's right up their alley. Any ideas on how to tie the two themes together? Also, WHAT kind of finger foods do you do for appx. 200 people?!?!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Personally, I think the summer theme would be great especially if that's what they like.

I would like to sugested 1 special gift for them tho:
A white and/or silver album or notebook. With pages that can be wrote on. While each guest is there have them write in the book.

You could have questions to answer for ex.
How do you know the happy couple?
Share a fond memory of them
One wish you have for the couple

Or any other thoughts the guest might have. Their son could present it to them at the end of the party. Just a sugestion hope you don't mind.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I would work with silver and white and maybe add in a little of their wedding colors. We did a 50th wedding party and recreated her flowers from the wedding. She loved it. My sil also does wedding cakes so we were able to recreate that too. :flower:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We had the notebook for the guests at my parents' anniversary party... and it's the most precious of all gifts received. Our theme was summery not silver and white.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That would be neat to reproduce their wedding cake. Little smokies, BLT Dip, cheeseballs, some type of drop cookies or candies that don't need baked are a time saver. I think the summer theme would be nice. Like was suggested a slide show or just pictures posted on poster boards to show their 25 years together is a nice touch. GOOD LUCK!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Rachelw713 - sounds like a great celebration! It will be at the church...hmmm... is there a group of church members that does catering to raise money for the church? This would be a great time to take advantage of it.

Since the family is asking for "no gifts"... would the family be comfortable asking everyone willing to help to bring cookies? That way you could get quite an assortment - and you don't need plates and silverware to eat cookies.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Just a thought, and this may be a regional thing, but around here most anniversary receptions are cake and punch affairs. Lots easier, lots cheaper and the mess is kept to a minimum. Just some plates, forks, napkins and cups are all that's required! Then you can spend your money flowers, the cake and some decorations. Don't forget ferns and other potted plants when decorating...very elegant, inexpensive and practical..you can reuse them afterwards.

I love petunias in masses, and they are very inexpensive and so summery.

For the last wedding we did-my nephew's in May, we used clear glass hurricane-type candle holders and floating candles. The globes came from Wal-Mart for under $3 each, and the floating candles from Hobby Lobby, on sale for $3.00 per dozen. We got hearts for the rehearsal dinner and rose shaped ones for the reception. It was so pretty with the late afternoon sunlight streaming in, and the soft glow of the candles making everything sparkle. I used some glass blocks (from Lowe's) and stacked two-one on it's edge, the other on it's side-then put the water filled glass globes on top with the floating candle...very elegant and very pretty--and really cheap!! Tealights work great in those globes, and they are mega-inexpensive. I love the look of three tea lights nestled int o a bed of salt and glowing in a clear glass globe. Very pretty.

I love the album idea-nice! One thing we did (many years ago) for my grandparents' 50th anniversay was to have each family bring a single stem silk flower-of their choice. Then we arranged the flowers into a huge bouquet for my grandmother to use in her living room. It was so special to her everytime she saw it.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I just did my In-law's 50th. I did a few pictures in gold frames and then had a slide show going with a digital frame. We added burgandy (MIL's favorite color) because you will find that just silver/white or gold/white gets a little boring. I like the colors of their wedding idea, but neither my in-laws or parents had a reception when they married so we went with the females favorite color.

I did the "memory" book for the guest to write messages, my In-law's loved it and still read them on a regular basis. I found a burgandy photo album (with "Momiries" on the front) and put the pocket page proctectors in it for the pages. I also added empty ones for their cards to be added later (we requested no gifts too, but they still got a few and lots of cards). I left the photo pages in for pictures to be added later. I also had a guest book so we could have a record of all who attended, everyone doesn't feel comfortable writing a message and some didn't.

I don't know how long they have been attending the church, but my in-laws friends insisted on helping with the finger food when they found out we were doing it. (news spread when we reserved the fellowship hall). I hadn't expected it, but they seemed as though their feelings would be hurt if we didn't let them. Since your a friend, you might have a feel on how that would go over.

We had wedding cake, finger sandwiches, chocolate dipped strawberries, nuts, mints, meatballs, little smokies, spinach dip/chips, cheeseball/crackers, vegetable tray, Chicken salad (with apples), chips/dip, a wonderful icee type punch, a chocolate fountain, and I rented a fountain for tea which really added to the decor. I also made little personalized candy bars and personalized votive candles and bookmarks for favors.

Since they didn't have a reception 50 years ago, we wanted to make it like a wedding reception so they renewed their vows...she even got a new ring. They had a wonderful time.