4th of July confession and plea for help!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Ok- not to be a party pooper here, but I must confess that I am not a big fan of the 4th of July. It is not for lack of patriotism, mind you....I have plenty of that growing up being an army brat and a brother that went to West Point.

I just am not wowed or ohhhhh/ahhhhhhed by fireworks. In fact, they irritate me-especially when people can not wait to light them off for that one special night AND decide to light them off for days and weeks after that special night!

and DO NOT enjoy parades in the stiffling heat ( although I go anyway with my husbands family and for my kids). I feel like an egg frying on the asphalt getting beaned by candy bullets.

So- I try to focus on the things I enjoy about the 4th:

The Music--- I have a couple fo CD's of patriotic songs and marches that I will be playing this week
and
The Food-- 4th of July is at the in-laws and we usually have brats and hamburgers and potato salad etc... the normal stuff.

Are there any out the box ideas that you do that I can adopt to feel more festive this week?

Help me not be a Independence Day Imp!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
pixiestick,

I'm with you on this. I'm not a fan of fireworks--really just the noise. It they weren't so loud I might enjoy them more. I enjoy them from a distance so I can't hear them. Do not enjoy them on TV at all.

Same with parades. I really don't enjoy them. It's fun to sit with friends and visit (with or without a parade). Even when we rode horses in the parade it was just ok. Hours of getting ready, then hours of waiting around in the sun and heat for a short walk in the parade.

I do enjoy the veterans that are in the parade.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Fireworks are illegal in the city limits where we live, so other than a few "rebels" we don't have a lot of noise to deal with. The city does do a big fireworks show on the night of the fourth, which we watch from a couple of blocks away. We do this after our family get together at my Mom's, which is extended family and friends. We cook burgers and dogs, eat decadant desserts and then everyone goes home! So, it's not too bad. Last year was a good year, despite the fact that it was the first one without my Dad-it rained all afternoon, so the kids went inside to play games and watch dvds, and the adults sat on the back porch and drank coffee and talked. It was great!

We don't have a parade, so we don't have to deal with that, but I agree-a parade in 90+degree heat does not sound fun!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I absolutely LOVE 4th of July.

The food-- potato salad, macaroni salad, hot dogs, hamburgers...

The fireworks-- I ooh and ahh over them every year (even at New Years Eve).

My father served in Vietnam and he taught me his love for celebrating freedom (and his love for things that make a lot of noise and blow up). Whenever I see the fireworks I think of him and his buddies that served so many years ago.

I love birthday parties... and I see 4th of July as a huge birthday celebration. I married a guy that love 4th of July (it is almost as important as Christmas at our house). We roll out all the trimmings.... decorations, tons of food, stay up late...

purplecrush

Premiere Member
I can relate to being annoyed when people light fireworks before AND after the 4th. Its so annoyed..,what I really cant understand is why people light them during the DAY!?!?! Whats the point of that lol

Im not a "huge" fan of the 4th of July, but I do love watching fireworks. We just go the beach. Its always COLD at night! And right now its raining, which sucks.

I dont like parades either. They are boring IMHO. People always crowding right IN FRONT of you, when you've been there all DAY!!!

So I guess I cant help you like it LOL....

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
cmerth I love what you said. Thanks for helping me see it as more of a birthday celebration. At a person's birthday party it is all about them and that is the attitude we should have, kind of like a thanksgiving day for America. We are so fortunate.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Life's too short! Live the life that's tailored to suit you best.

Personally, I celebrate freedom by honoring life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That comes in a million forms. You could visit the beach, picnic, BBQ, flop around in PJs with a movie marathon, visit a local event, bond with loved ones, read, craft, whatever you like to do. It's the heartfelt feelings of awareness and thanksgiving that matter. :pilgrim:

DH and I just returned from two of our favorite local parks. Nothing like a trollop through the woods amid the majesty of nature to remind you of your blessings. I love this one particular old oak. Seeing it today, I thought, "Wow, this tree has been standing still here for over 100 years. Through so much history... Standing, seeing, enduring." The thought of it takes my breath away.

My patriotism fights for the good of humanity to come together, create peace, and endure like that oak. That's part of what I celebrate.