Absolutely So Ready for Autumn 2016!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Is there anyone else going through a major dose of longing for brisk Autumn breezes, crunching leaves and cable knit sweaters?

Or is it just me?

I've been pinning Fall bucket lists left and right. Reading Susan Branch's Autumn From the Heart of the Home and crafting away on fall decor projects...

And even though I know it will still be sweltering, I'll be putting up my fall decor as soon as September gets here!

What about others? I know that many of our folks are just heading into spring but any and all thoughts about the Fall season in general are welcome!

What makes you feel all fall-ish and cozy? How do you treat yourself?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Nope cant agree with you AJ. I like nothing about Autumn (thats what we call it here). It jut reminds me that winter is on its way. Im a summer girl through and through. I could seriously travel the world and follow the sun! Actually I did do that one year when I was younger. Was great!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I completely agree - bring on the fall!

I love that first crisp morning I let the dog out and feel cooler air coming in rather than feeling like I've opened the door to a sauna.

I love all the harvest vegetables and making soups and stews, and everything pumpkin.

I cooked a turkey a few days ago and made pumpkin soup to remember fall, and now, of course, a week of pumpkin spice lattes (decaf of course, I'm told I shouldn't drink coffee until this little one is here.)

I love being able to take long walks with the kids and seeing the Halloween stuff and beginnings of Christmas stuff appear in the stores.

I love picking apples and making spiced apple cake, apple pie, apple crumble, apple sauce, and drinking cider.

I love that first cool evening the kids and I need to cuddle under a blanket to watch a movie in our basement. The first time they ask for a hot drink when they come in from playing.

I love sitting outside, knitting mittens while I watch the kids jump in leaves and chase each other around.

I love seeing the colours change to shades of crimson, orange, and yellow.

:)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am in 100% agreement with you. This summer has been so hot and humid and it's really making me long for the cool crisp autumn air. I made a pot of pumpkin spice coffee last night :)

I have a turkey breast and a ham in the freezer that I am longing to cook but its been way to hot to turn the oven on. I haven't even baked any cookies lately.

I also want the bright pretty yellow, orange and red leaves on the trees. The sound of dried leaves crunching under my footsteps (that is my favorite part of walking the kids around the neighborhood on Halloween night), homemade comfort foods: chili, soups, stews, Ham and baked mac and cheese. Applesauce cake, pumpkin spice bars, banana bread, and homemade apple butter.

To open the windows and have a nice cool breeze through out the house ... to snuggle under blankets and drink hot coffee or hot apple cider. Sit outside around a fire and roast hotdogs and marshmallows. Wear jeans and a hoodie to the local high school football games.

So over summer ... Bring on Fall!!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Oh my goodness yes! I'm a summer baby (July) but I absolutely love when Fall comes around. I love the pretty colors of the leaves on the trees and the crisp cool air. The smell of fireplaces burning. Wearing sweaters and boots. Eating lots of good comfort foods. Snuggle up in cozy pajamas. And climbing into bed under thick comforters.

The older I get, the less of this heat I can take. I've been thinking about autumn since it started getting warm.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am always ready for Fall! Always!

I love everything about it.

Bring. It. On.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am in agreement, I can't wait for Fall!

I can't wait for pumpkin pies, pumpkin rolls, and pumpkin bread.

I can't wait to be able to turn the "butt warmer" on in my new car

I can't wait to walk the dog in jeans and a sweater

I can't wait to take the hay ride out to the pumpkin patch

I can't wait to burn my apple cinnamon candle and have the aroma warm the house

I can't wait to use my oven again

I can't wait for it to get darker earlier, I love the stars on a crisp night, sitting in my adirondak chairs with a fire as my DD and DH make s'mores

Fair to say I am looking forward

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Unlike most of you we don't actually have the beautiful changing of the seasons this far south with the beautiful colors but I do hope many of you will share your pictures with us. For us it's prime time hurricane season with the hottest temperatures of the year until late September.

I absolutely love the first cool and crisp morning when I can open my windows and let my house breathe in the fresh air. I love that first bag of candy corn and definitely love walking on my floors with my fluffy socks on. Although we barely use a cord of wood each winter I do love to light the fireplace every chance I get.

To me, Fall/Autumn is the beginning of the holiday season. What's not to love about that.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Falling Fall in last place

Out of all the seasons I'd say Fall is my least favorite. That sure doesn't mean I do not like it but if I ranked them poor Fall would be last. I just love all the changing seasons. I love winter but not the icy cold wind. The snow can make any landscape beautiful even a gravel pit or a trash heap. Spring is wonderful with all the budding flowers. Summer is when our flowers do their best. Fall is a time of change and flowers begin to die. When we lived in Goose Bay, Labrador Canada, I did miss the falling leaves since it is above the Arctic tree line. I missed the colors but also the sound of them as you walked.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

I do love fall, but living in the Pacific Northwest, we often get fall-feeling days all summer long. One 4th of July I remember trying to enjoy fireworks with frost on our breath. Today is quite a cool day, and some of the leaves in the mountain pass are already turning color. I'd like a little more summertime before fall.

That said, we can have absolutely beautiful Indian Summers! September and October can have wonderfully comfortable weather.

Fall decorator colors are not my favorites, however.

And in winter, I love snow skiing, so that's hard to beat. When it's cold and rainy at home, it's usually snowing nicely in the mountains!

Life is good!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think the reason I love Fall so much is that I start to really feel the holidays just around the corner but there is still time to prepare.

But I love being about to pull out jeans and sweaters again, soft warm socks and big comfy hooded sweatshirts! I tend to cook more - hearty fall foods, comfort foods, etc.

The smell of woodsmoke/burning leaves is sweet perfume to me! The look of the tree trunks when they are black with rain set against the bright flame of the leaves gets me every time!

We go apple picking every year and always get some cider.

What movies do others like to watch to get their Fall Fix? You've Got Mail is a favorite of mine...although it has all seasons in it! :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Oh I love 'You Got Mail'. I need to go buy that on dvd.

You know I never really thought much about movies during the fall season. I do watch movies but I'm more interested in decorating shows. I like watching stuff like how to weather proof the home, planting (although I'm don't have a green thumb) decorating and cooking.

It's times like this when I miss the old programs they used to have on the HGTV channel like Room by Room and Decorating Cents.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Goonies and ET always remind me of fall and I must watch them sometime during the fall and on on any cool damp days.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've never seen Goonies! But I love ET and that is a great one!

I also tend to want to watch old movies during the fall - I've recently ordered 3 that I lost in the fire and I'm saving them for a cozy fall day or 3!

I ordered The Thin Man and After The Thin Man - married couple detective murder mystery/comedy series of 7 films - I have the set but lost the first two.

I also ordered another copy of Mrs. Miniver - love that one. Nothing particularly fall-ish about it, just makes me feel cozy.

Another think I love about Fall is getting out all my decorations which include white Christmas lights. And I start to burn lots of yummy smelling candles again!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
FALL FALL FALL, I love thee!! I love EVERYTHING about Fall, just wished it lasted longer.

Reactions: housewife2

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm a little farther north than Ellen, so we probably feel a little more fall than she does, but not until late October or into November. I love that first morning I walk out and can feel the change in the air and humidity. If I had to rank the seasons, fall would be my favorite, spring second, winter third, then summer (so hot and humid where we are).

Our land is flat, so one can't really see the changing of the leaves like you can where there are rolling hills/mountains. Sweet gum, poplar, and Bradford pears are the trees that give us fall color where I live. Sassafras turns, too, and is the first to change...a beautiful fiery red! Leaves changing just absolutely fascinates me. DH and I will go for drives just to look at the leaves.

I love wearing fall clothes and going to football games. I love the smell of Fall and the promise of the holidays that follow. I guess because I teach and school starts in August/September, fall represents a new starting point to me. It's almost the same feeling as in January with the new year. It's like a new beginning, and I like that, too.

Fall awakens a desire to get my house clean and back in good order because our summers are so hot and oppressive that I don't feel like doing as much as I do when it's cool.

Yep...bring on fall, I say!!!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I love Fall myself as living here in the mountians it really is beautiful the air is so fresh and crisp and the smell of the leaves just have to open the house up and fall means pumpkin everything.Already got my Pumpkinpie spice creamer and i enjoy the cider mills and picking apples,baking all those fall goodies,oh yeah,bring on Fall.:pumpkin:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I love fall but I am not ready for it yet. Fall means back to school. I am not ready to send the children back to school. With that said, my daughter just baked Pumpkin bread for us this evening.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i love fall and cant wait. im tired of being hot and sweating cant enjoy being outside. I love everything pumpkin. I love the cool nites having the windows open. I cant wait to decorate mums pumpkins scarecrows. love the drinks at starbucks in the fall. plus its closer to the holidays.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We've been having a lot of rain here which is sort of Fall like - lol

Temps have been a lot cooler in mornings and evenings too but nothing like that crisp feel you get when Fall is truly arriving!

I went through my totes of Fall decor yesterday just to take a look - can't wait to start putting things up next month!!!

Reactions: housewife2