advent calendar ideas needed.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I'm thinking of doing a advent calendar for the boys this year but need some suggestions. I am prov going to make one for all three. They are at a hard age for small gifts b/c they are all expensive or I need to save the idea for stockings (also a struggle)

So I was thinking some might be things to do like look at lights, make food treat or movie night. Some will be RAOK to do for others and some gifts for them.

I can use suggestions on the calendar, things to do and gifts to get. The boys are 8, 11, and 13

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I did them for my three kids. Esp. Steve. I would put small coins, small pieces of candy, a 'love' not from Mom, promise of a special activity (like we'll go to the store and you can pick out a treat. I always did those on a Wednesday, when I got paid. lol) And I cross stitched each of them an advent calendar...but that was back in the day.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great thread! I need ideas too! ds is 19 & dd is 20. My advent calendar has small pockets... last year I put chocolate & some $$.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Shannon - I'm doing an advent calendar this year for the first time. I am in the exact same boat!!!

For mine I have thought about this so far:

-Fortune Cookies (They love these)
-Piece of candy that they like-
Announcement that it's "Christmas Cheer" night (I try to do this once a week during the holidays)
-Magnet for their locker at school
-Make your own snow kit

I know I have more, but I don't have my list in front of me. I'm eager to hear what others do!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I had been on pinterest looking for ideas to make one. I was intrigued with the matchbox ones but its tiny. I have been keeping generic crystal lite containers (the flat sided plastic ones that the full size packs come in) and I have 13 already. I think I will cover them and make a pyramid numbering the lids. Now where in the house to keep it?? They would be a good size to hold goodies or notes. Big enough for all 3 to share one.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Take a photo when it's done. I love the idea.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Here is a link to a matchbox one. Mine will be bigger so I'll have to see if its toobig and if I can figure where to sit it.
I have a advent board on pinterest

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've done advent chains with dd and have just used special activities, chores, prayer, acts of kindness on the chains instead of giving gifts. It's free and meaningful during the holy season.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
DS7 got the Lego Star Wars advent calendar last Christmas...it was awesome and he just saw the new one for this year in the lego catalog (he could spend hours poring over the pages of that thing - but that's another story) but WOW! It's expensive. I haven't decided what to do yet. I like the idea of making my own, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it together...need one for DS3 as well.

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
I always liked to do gift cert from McDonalds, or Taco Bell or where ever. Then on a weekend night usually sunday, we would make a drive thru run and everyong got to choose. When I was a single mom had 3 little ones and usually went 3 diff places. When we grew to a family of 7 kids, we usually only had to hit 4 or 5. Kids all grown now, but still talk about it. We also did a night of getting everyone out of bed and going to see Christmas lights in their jammies. We had popcorn in the van and hot chocolate. Movie and a treat at home. Picnic in the living room and then read a Christmas story. We were always broke or close, so we got real inventive and cheap.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Colleen - we got that one year and the playmobil one also. The boys had to share the one one.

GrammyK - the gift cards are good. Usually around the holidays they have books for $5 with a bunch of free food coupons.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I have an advent calendar I made a few years ago. It is only big enough for candy, coins, really small trinkets, etc. I will use it again this year since the kids do seem to enjoy it. But I think for 12 Days of Christmas I am going to do something different. I have had some treat bags for a while now. They are lunch bag size and I can get more variety. I think I will just make 12 number tags and hang them like garland with some stuffer type gifts. I saw something similar on pinterest a few days back.

rondastand

Retire Member
Oct 6, 2008
My 10 year old DS loves his Lego advent calendars but the 14 year old DD has become a challenge. Last year I when to the bank and got very new, crisp $1 bills and did money origami. I got the same amount in cash as the cost of the Legos so some days had more than one bill involved. I'm starting one for this year too - she enjoyed so much finding the little treasures that it was March or April before she actually unfolded them and spent the money.