Advice on good Learn to Sew DVDs??? Books???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm just gonna throw this out there, and if anyone has any advice to offer me I'll take it... ::eek:rnament:

I really want to improve my sewing skills but I do not have access to a person that can teach me - and I do not want to spend the money for lessons at a store (if I could even find lessons!) Not to mention a schedule so busy that it would be hard to find the time to make a special trip across town for a lesson...

I took basic sewing in high school, I have a machine and I can use it to hem things, sew simple stuff, etc.

What I need help with is understanding patterns and learning how to piece garments with multiple pieces together.

Is there any hope to learn this from a book or DVD? Or even a website someone can recommend?

I taught myself to knit from a DVD - but when I search Amazon there doesn't seem to be alot of choices for sewing tutorials...

So if anyone can offer a suggestion, I would really appreciated it!

Thanks in advance!!! :grin:

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Joanns and Michaels used to offer sewing classes, my sis used to teach them. We have a little sewing shop in town that offers help and advise...and I think lessons.

There are many websites that offer little "online classes" to help you expand your knowledge. Here's one site with free "classes": Free Classes

I've never seen or tried to find a DVD or other training aid like that. Maybe someone else can help you, I'm sorry!!!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007