Advice to the Younger Me:

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I saw this in the Parade magazine in the Sunday Newspaper and thought it would be an interesting topic.

We can't go back that is true... but at this point in your life what advice would you give to the younger you, what do you wish you had realized, grasped, believed, embraced sooner.....? This doesn't have to be a regret list - just a little note to the you of years ago. What five (or more) little nuggets of advice would you dipense...

Dear Younger Me:

Embraced your "quirkyness" girl- it IS what makes you YOU. Believe me when you are 40 - you'd like to get noticed a little in a crowd!

Hold your friendships near and dear even in across thousands of miles. It is hard but worth it. Even if you think they have forgotten about you, just pick up the phone- even if you just leave a message saying I thought about you today and wondered how you are.

Travel when you get the chance! Small trips, large trips, near trips, far trips--- GOOOOOO!

Things are going happen- nobody's life is perfect. So learn how to rally around yourself. Discover what heals you, soothes you, recharges you- NOW when the little things happen so you have a inner place to go when the big things happen.

Take some dancing lessons - girl- some people just need a little help in that area. It will make you be a more fun date, bridesmaid, Mom....

Sincerely,

Your 40 year-old, wife of 13 years, mother of a 4 month old and 3 year old Self

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I read that article in Parade magazine yesterday! Very interesting!

I'd say to the Younger Me:

*Don't worry so much about your weight-concentrate on your mental image of yourself and your self-confidence

*Stop fighting that curly hair. You are not going to change it with chemicals or blowdriers-babies and hormones will do it for you..

*Save some money. Have a retirement plan.

*Go to the dentist and do what he says.

*Stay in church-it's hard to go back when you've been out a while

Thanks, Pixiestick! Great thought provoker!

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
I wish I would have read this article! This is interesting.
I would say :
Don't be so afraid of what others think, be yourself you will be happier in the end.
Be happy with what you have, You'd be suprised with how much you do have.
Laugh, alot. It will get you through the most unbarable situations.
Laugh, out loud. It releases all the pent up emotions and makes your heart lighter.
Save some money. It would be nice to have when your older and you could actually use it to your benefit.
Stay in college. When you try to go when you are older it is harder and you forget alot of what you learned in high school.
Listen to your parents when they talk about education. Wait a minute listen to your parents on just about everything. They love you and know you better than you know yourself.
Laugh, Laugh, Laugh. Life is short you might as well enjoy it while your living it.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
There is a song called "Letter to me" by Brad Paisley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqtbMHfpXY

I like it :)

I'd like to talk to myself 10 years ago and say:

Just enjoy life and don't worry so much about what other people think about you.
Don't be afraid to get made fun of, better to try and fail than spend your time on the sidelines.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Very fun...

My advice to my younger self would be....

-Take good care of yourself... you only get one body (get in the routine of exercising)
-Have a babies early... the older you get the harder it is to get pregnant
-Quit being so shy
-Don't eat chocolate... you complexion will thank you

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Wow, this is thought provoking. What would I say to my younger self? Well..........

* Don't love so easily, be cautious, but have fun and it will save you many heartaches and mistakes. (In otherwords, explore your options and don't get married so young, don't ignore those warning signs!)

* Be yourself. Take the time to know yourself and find out who you truly are. Who cares what everyone else thinks, you are great just the way you are.

* Stop worrying about your weight. When you get older and look back at pictures of yourself, you'll realize just how skinny you actually were and think that you were crazy for all the things you put yourself through because of the lie you saw in the mirror.

* Participate more in extracurricular activities like sports or clubs. Come out of that shy shell and you'll enjoy school so much more. Concentrate more on your studies!

* Hold onto the friends you know are true and let the others go. Keeping holding on like there's no tomorrow to the ones that really love you because life gets awful lonely with no friends to confide in.

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MHH Member
Aug 16, 2008
Tennessee
mymerrychristmas.com
I really can't think of FIVE thing's ,but if I knew then what I know now I would of told myself during my school year's that the cruel things that kid's say aren't really against you or about you,but rather how they feel about themselves,so they want to make others feel bad too.

I was teased pretty much all through school ,especially elementary and middle school .Teased because I was taller than most kid's,teased about my maiden name(SMART) ,teased because I have big eyes.

I tried so hard to ignore them ,but they saw right through my sensitive heart . I cried myself to sleep a lot of nights.

I was a loner(not by choice) never fit in ,never had friends and when most girls were dating I never had boyfriend's.

However I also know now that thing's that happened in our past can make us stronger and better .They make us who we are.

In spite of how others hurt me ,I'm a very loving person .I never changed anything about myself or did thing's(drug's/alcohol ) to please others or to merely be accepted .Instead I remained my TRUE self.