After Christmas Bargains 2009

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Finally had my shopping trip into the city on New Year's Day, but wasn't alone. There use to be very few shoppers out on New Year's, but that has changed even in this economy.

First stop, the Yankee Candle sale! YC is one of my favorite stores, but I've tried to stay away since I tend to keep whatever I buy. Decided I'd splurge a little since its the semi-annual sale. I found my favorite holiday scent Christmas Eve & bought tarts, votives & a small tumbler even though the scent seems a little different. The sales person said it wasn't as strong this year. Also, bought their beeswax candles to try in Beat Around the Bushel & Over the Moon. Wonder if they're discontinuing this line? Also grabbed an assortment of votives at 6 for $5! Total under $30, but I want to go back before the sale ends... at least the store is an hour away. Must resist! OH NO, they just sent me an email coupon today to use before 1/18! Must RESIST...

Next stop, Bath & Body Works to exchange an item & use coupon on a birthday present. Spend less than $20 there (most on birthday present for March). I did find 3 Christmas presents at the bookstore 50-60% off (puzzle $5.20 & 2 books $5-5.60 each after discount). Purchased another birthday present (for end of month) at TJ Maxx $12.99 for long sleeve tee.

Now, if I can just finish up the birthday shopping I need to do this month & stay away from YC.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to our mall again yesterday so kids could spend Christmas money. Found a lovely tapestry handbag with a santa design for my mum $4.97. Got some lovely bath salts in delicious scents for $3.97. Picked up a few summer clothes for me which were reduced,

and picked up my suitcase for BIG holiday to U.S and Canada in September which was FREE as boss gave me a gift card to the luggage store.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have mostly hit up Target lately. I have not been to a mall in a while and there was nothing at WalMart. I was at Target the other day I saw a set of the Mr. Men show cars people sitting in the craft section. I left it there and went back today to get them at 90% off. They were overpriced (IMHO) at $20 originally. But I love that show so I got a set for me to sit on my desk. Found a set of the 3 GI Joe guys and 3 transformers and my big deal was they had one pink and one blue glitter house still left so they were $2 each. I got the one w/3 blgs at 50% off. I work at kohls and currently their Christmas stuff is 80% off. Not sure when it goes clearance but this sale price is usually better than the clearance prices. The next sale is Friday so the % off might change again then.

Last edited:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I found a few cute things at TJ MAxx/Home Goods tonight! One cute thing for the gift closet a holiday pink flamingo serving bowl for a friend for next year!

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
My local Hallmark went to 75% off this morning. I went and bought lots of goodies.

I collect the Disney Hallmark ornaments and I was able to get seven different ones today at 75% off. I am so glad that I waited!

I also bought some cute Webkinz reindeer clip-ons for DD to give to friends next year. I was very surprised to see them at 75% off.

Finally, I bought some cute Snowman ornaments that were carrying a sled that you personalize. I'm adding them to the Snow Day baskets for DD's teachers.

Gotta love sales!

Glenda

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My store of choice/necessity is Target...I must say I was very disappointed this year both at Halloween and Christmas. They didn't seem to have as much stocked to begin with and were virtually cleared out by the time the holidays arrived. There was very little to pick over in the after-holiday sales.

I did pick up a bunch of kids' Christmas books at 50% at Barnes & Noble. I always give the children on my list books for birthdays/Christmas. Now I have a good start for 2010.

Sapsorrow

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2010
Our budget being what it is, I've been trying to take advantage of the sales.

Yesterday or the day before I got my cards and envelope seals marked down 80% or so, so $8 for fifty. I got free return mailing labels from Vistaprint, which isn't really a sale, but is a big help for me. And I bought matching sticker gift tags from them for maybe $2 as well.

Today at bn.com I spotted full book tote bags in a Christmas motif for $2.47 each. Woven fabric tote bags. That's cheaper than many gift bags, so I got four and then bought two of another tote bag at $1.77. When I went to check out I noticed that you get free shipping at $25. Well, my total plus shipping came out to $25, so I figured if I bought anything else that would get my to free shipping then I wasn't spending extra, and it was for next year, so I don't care if the free shipping is slow. So I knocked a book of carols and a soundtrack off my list today too.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Great hunting, Sapsorrow! You're ahead of the game now!

I stopped by Pier 1 yesterday -- and thee store I went to had A LOT of Christmas things on 75% off! Really excellent-smelling candles -- many in non-Christmas scents -- like "Green Bamboo". Really beautiful tree ornaments. Wrapping paper -- no Christmas cards at this store. Serving dishes. Oh -- cute little Gingerbread houses that are candy dishes. I look for things that can be gifts year-round -- and this store was really intensely Christmas things. However, there is ANOTHER Pier 1 store not too far away.... and I will plan a visit to that one. I'll report back!

Sapsorrow

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2010
SparkleNana, you aren't kidding! I just leafed through their website and was blown away. I'm definitely adding regular trips to Pier 1 to my monthly to-dos. There were some items they have on clearance that coordinate with my mother's Christmas dishes, so I pointed her in that direction (and she'll pick up wrapping paper for me, since we're pretty much hibernating until spring rather than expose our newborn to the awful flu season out there). Thanks for the tip!

ETA: It's not really a sale, but Five Below is selling snow toys such as a snow brick maker, snowball maker and sleds for $5 each.

Last edited: