After Christmas Bargains 2009

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
I'm having so much fun with the after-Christmas sales this year.

Yesterday, I went to a Hallmark store and they had the Jim Shore Christmas items half price. I bought a Christmas Caroler and hope to add pieces to this before next Christmas. He was $15 and I had some Hallmark Gold Crown rewards to use. I will be going to this Hallmark on the 26th next year in hopes that they will have more items.

I also went to Yankee Candle at the mall and bought some small candle jars in a Sparkling Snow scent to put in my "Snow Day" baskets. I used a $10 off $25 coupon so it made the small jars just $3 each after the coupon.

At Target I found some Method brand holiday soap dispensers on clearance and used $2 off coupons. It made two bottles of soap less than $1!

A couple of days ago I went to Walmart and bought some Rubbermaid storage totes. The 18 gallon totes were $3.40 which is a great price!

No wrapping paper for me...I have a nice stash. I would like to find some solids or patterns that would work for year round wrapping. I did this last year and the gifts looked great for birthdays.

Glenda

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought some medium-sized christmas bags at a little counter today... $2 for a dozen! Also bought myself 2 necklaces ( I love fake jewelry)... at $1 each! Even bought a pink one for DD (it'll be for valentine's day) at $1 + 1 pair of earrings (very beautiful for me) at $1.

At sears I bought some vodka filled chocolates (for my brothers birthday in march... I also have a shirt and a DVD for him in gift closet... so DONE!!). I bought 2 batches of ribbons also at $1.94 each (one is vintage style... cameo black & white), and some sugared peanuts for new year's eve at $3.94.

At the grocery store I bought a lotion bottle.. it's a snowman on a wooden horse for $3.50 (think I'll keep that one), + some gift tags.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The best bargain I got was also very unusual. I got DD prom dress (school formal not till December 2010) but it was the exact same one she had seen in a magazine and fell in love with and we got it for 50% off. It is along time until her formal but I could not pass up the bargain and she was very excited.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sweetpumpkinpye, when dd had her formal I went to pick out a dress beginning of february to be told I was late that choices had been made!! so you are not too early! (as long as she keeps the same figure).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Luludou...Maintaining her figure was a concern for me when we bought the dress, but she is pretty active so I hope that it won't be a problem. I am so glad we got the dress now as we now don't have to be worried about it for the rest of the year and can concentrate on other things.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Hi everyone. Fiance and the boys and I shopped all day today. We hit up Dillards for my favorite New Year's day sale. I bought so many gifts for all year. I was able to get some shirts for my Dad for Father's day for $4! Happy day!

I stopped by JoAnn's Finally. Fiance said 5 minutes so I ran in and out to try to meet the challenge. I took 7 minutes to spend $19! Not a lot left, but still got a few things I needed!

We also went to Books A Million where I picked up a bunch of Christmas books that were 50% off the original price and then lo and behold, another 50% off that price! I had gone to get the car and when fiance came out I asked him how much I had spent (had counted abou $60) and he told me $30. I was thrilled!

My best find today was a set of 8 plates with snowflakes on them. They are originally $10 each and I got them for $1.50 each! I'll use them all winter. And, I got a really cute bowl by the same maker as the plates that was orginially $30 for $4. Very happy!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim Loves Snow -- this annual sale at Dillard's sounds fantastic! Good for you - what great buys! Those snowflake plates -- with the matching bowl - sound wonderful! I think they would cheer me up during winter!

Now - how many days until the wedding? Will you start a thread for your wedding? (Hint, hint.) Frankly -- I don't want to miss anything! I LOVE everything about weddings! Each one is SO UNIQUE! Talk about works of art -- that is what weddings are to me!

So -- when do your parents arrive?
How much longer will you keep working?
You are going away for a really long wedding trip, aren't you?
Will your df's mom stay with the boys while you are gone? (Or does their mom live close enough so they can keep going to school?)
Can you tell that I am VERY excited about your wedding???????

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I really didn't get out much this week. I finally went out on Thursday to return a few things. There was still a lot of clearance stuff, but I resisted. I went overboard last year and promised myself that I would do that again.

I went to Albertsons to pick up some fish for dinner last night. I rarely shop at Albertsons, but I was checking out all the clearance Christmas stuff on my way in and found a bunch of good things that I talked myself out of buying. Then when I was leaving the checker asked me if I would like a sack of FREE Christmas items. They were sacking up things at random and giving them away. I took on and declined the free wrapping paper since I don't like to store it. I was so surprised when I got home and opened my sack. I had about 5 of the aluminum foil Christmas tree shaped cake pans, several packages of ornament hangers, some holiday napkins, replacement bulbs, and two sets of four each Christmas ornament placecard holders. I just love the placecard holders. I would have bought them if they had been out on the table. I got 8 of them FREE!!!!!

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I really didn't get out much this week. I finally went out on Thursday to return a few things. There was still a lot of clearance stuff, but I resisted. I went overboard last year and promised myself that I would do that again.

I went to Albertsons to pick up some fish for dinner last night. I rarely shop at Albertsons, but I was checking out all the clearance Christmas stuff on my way in and found a bunch of good things that I talked myself out of buying. Then when I was leaving the checker asked me if I would like a sack of FREE Christmas items. They were sacking up things at random and giving them away. I took on and declined the free wrapping paper since I don't like to store it. I was so surprised when I got home and opened my sack. I had about 5 of the aluminum foil Christmas tree shaped cake pans, several packages of ornament hangers, some holiday napkins, replacement bulbs, and two sets of four each Christmas ornament placecard holders. I just love the placecard holders. I would have bought them if they had been out on the table. I got 8 of them FREE!!!!!

That's awesome! They must really not want to hold up shelf space. Good for you!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
PrintersDevil - Wow! What a great store that is! Good for you. Enjoy your freebies!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I also have been loving the sales. We went to Dillards yesterday and it was a great sale. We bought 2 tablecloths for next year along with some other decorations all 70% off. They also had their food gifts 75% off. I bought 2 prepackaged Starbucks sets with 2 mugs and some flavored coffees, originally priced at 19.99. Not sure if the coffee will keep until next year but I can repackage the Starbucks mugs and fill them with home baked goodies or fresh coffee and give them for co-worker or hostess gifts. I was able to get my son and son-in-law pajama pants and sweaters. I also bought a great throw for my daughter. Then I went to Han**** and they still had a nice selection of Christmas fabric. So I bought 3 different kinds for my "stash". One especially would make a great apron! On to Hobby Lobby this morning. They had a nice selection of bows so I bought big fluffy ones for 80% off along with 6 mugs and matching plates and a snow globe. Now I have a good start on Christmas 2010 both for gifts and new decorations.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was able to buy some supplies and door prizes for a Christmas in July crop I'm having in July. It was all 50% and in the cutest prink and green colors. I figured it will be Christmasy, but in brighter, summer kind of way! I love all the items so much, I dont know that I want to give them away. :)

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i went to walmart and target this morning. got wrapping paper gift tags red plastic plates to use for valentines and hold some for next christmas. bought lots of cocoa to drink its so cold.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just bought 8 shining bows (with optical fiber), .25 cents each... white ones & pink ones.

christmas32

Retire Member
Dec 26, 2009
think I might be goign Dillards at lunch tomorrow. See if I can still catch some of the bargains talked about above.
I got some cards, tags, and napkins at Dollar Tree 50% off, a candle for $2, bought sleeping bags for dd & ds for Christmas this year, ornament for dd's godmother, mil's gift,