alone or a group

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Alone if I have real shopping to do. The one and only time I have shopped the day after Thanksgiving I went by myself. Good thing. I won the grand prize at the local Target Store, a Honda scooter.

I love to shop alone. I can go where I want, stop when I want and not worry about anyone else. Also when I'm tired I can just go home.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Depending on what you're looking for, a savvy loved one could help hold the bags, keep you company in line, and split up to help you snag a few deals. But a group? I'd be concerned that it would get really crowded or the group would actually slow the shopping pace. Like Ahorsesoul and Terrylee mentioned, there are so many benefits to going solo. Or with just one kindred spirit.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I always prefer shopping by myself if I have a mission to accomplish, or with a friend if I'm just browsing for ideas.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I prefer to shop alone uless my husband , better known as my pack mule agrees to go and not say a word! That rarely happens though :rotflol:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I would also say shop alone. I think when you have other people with you it can be distracting. I find I do much better when I shop on my own.

:haha:

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I usually end up out alone no one I know is up for fighting the crowds. :frown:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The last 3 or 4 years I have had vacation then and my husband and I go and get what bargain we need (or think we need) for the gifts and come home. After having breakfast out. We have been home by 9 a.m. usually. He will go to one department and I will head to another. Last year I was in line to pay at K-Mart and he ran to Wal-Greens for the photo key chains and I was still in line when he got back! K-Mart always seems to have the flannel lined jeans pretty cheap that day. Wal-Mart opens an hour earlier than K-Mart, then Lowes is an hour after K-Mart so has worked out good. This year I am off again.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Well, I don't really shop on Black Friday, but shopping in general is easier for me alone. I can shop with a friend if I'm just browsing or just socializing (which is tons of fun) but for serious, commando mission gotta get it done shopping, I go alone. As others have said, then I can go where I want and go home when I want (or when I'm worn out, which usually comes first!). I actually like to shop alone, even just window shopping...

On Black Friday I like to stay home, maybe shop on line a little, and have friends over for breakfast after they finish their early morning runs. This year, I'll be hosting an open house brunch for my business...people can shop at my house, and get breakfast!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Up north we do not have the after day shopping that you do in the States.

If I was looking for THE item I will go with someone (two sets of eyes better then one); however, I think you would need to feel as if the other person or people had the same goal in mind - shopping for deals over a social. Otherwise you may feel the need to 'host' :package:

I do prefer to 'shop' alone ::eek:rnament:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It's really fun to read about people's Black Friday traditions -- like when a family has Thanksgiving together, and then the women go out on Black Friday to "hunt" together.

Our family doesn't do that. However, a big group of us went out a day or two AFTER Christmas so people could spend some Christmas cash and gift cards. It was a terrific social event for me - but I just enjoyed the socializing, I didn't try to shop. Oh, and I really enjoyed the lunch together too.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I rarely shop the day after Thanksgiving, but if I'm on a mission, I'd rather shop alone. When I'm with friends, I tend to get off track.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
hmm, I have been thinking about going by myself again- I went with someone the last two years and its fun to have another person to talk to but I do like the ability to choose not to go into Kohl's if I don't want to- which I don't! That place loses all common sense the Day After Thanksgiving.

The friend that went with me last year, had never gone before. She wanted to go to Kohl's we walked all the way through the store and she said, ok never mind. :thud: She was after littlest pet shop things which they had half off, but Target had a set that morning to, which she bought.

stoerkel

Retire Member
Apr 10, 2008
I refuse to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving until late in the afternoon or early evening when all the shopping crazies have gone home. My goal every year is to have 95% of my shopping done before Thanksgiving so I can stay home and wrap will everyone else deals wit the crowds. If I do go out that evening its usually myself and my mom.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Last year I met a friend and her aunt on Thanksgiving morning to shop two stores here in town that were having sales that morning. So I did that, came home and went to the inlaws an hour away for Thanksgiving. This year I think my inlaws, my parents, and perhaps some friends will be having Thanksgiving here at our house. I think I will still go out that day (only if there is something I want) and then come home to prep that meal.

I will go the Day after for sure! Whether alone or with someone. It makes my mom feel better if I go with someone.

I USUALLY prefer to shop alone. Although there are times I wish I had someone else with me so I can divide and conquer but no one else is crazy enough to get up early with me. This will be the third year I am in FL for black friday and I have yet to go. In NY I had a smaller family for Thanksgiving and usually my ex had the kids and I worked. But since moving to Florida and my grandmother passing right before I moved here, I have become the family cook for the holidays. Because I am usually cooking for about 30 or more people with limited help, I have been too wiped out to wake up to shop.

This year I hope to be done with all the gifts before Black Friday (except for my boys gifts...as others have mentioned, my boys change their minds way too much). I do make them choose their top 3 gift choices from Santa and Santa brings ONE of those gifts and I try to get the other ones!!! So if the gifts they really want are part of the BF sales than I will try to get them, that is if I don't have to work!!!!

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I RARELY venture out for after thanksgiving shopping, I hate the hassle and crowds fighting for items but when I do DH goes with me. Usually we already have presents bought for the family members and have most of DS's bought as well leaving just one or two things to pick up.

This year the family is all getting Afghans except for DS since he got his last year.