And now, Ike!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
As you may know, Arkansas took a direct hit from Hurricane Gustav a couple of weeks ago, and now we are in the direct path of Hurricane Ike, as well. It's very unusual for us to get this much hurricane related activity in our area, much less be in the direct line of them.

We are "hunkered down", waiting and as ready as we can get... I have oil lamps filled and ready, a stash of candles and flashlights, plenty of reading material and the required eggs, bread and milk! I made sure to stock in plenty of things we can eat without cooking or that we can cook on the grill in case we lose our power, like we did last time. My brother has a camp coffee pot that he has ready, just in case. He lives two houses down from us, so we can get there for a coffee run if necessary.

Here we go again!! I'll share details when I can!

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Stay safe. We lost power for three days with Gustav. We used the grill several times. I'm ready for hurricane season to calm down.

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Stay safe, my prayers are with everyone in Ike's path. :grouphug:

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Your in my thoughts and prayers sweetie, Stay safe and keep us posted if possible on how your doing.

HUGS

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We're supposed to start getting Ike late tonight, early tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be gone by the time I need to drive home tomorrow. We are already experiencing flooding in our area from heavy rains the past two days. Several roads are closed and if the heavy rain continues, all the roads to get out of here will be closed and i'll be stuck. Not a good thing when Samuel has school on Monday. I think it's already been downgraded to a tropical depression so there shouldn't be too much high wind, just lots and lots of rain on already flooded ground.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I hope everyone in Ike's path stays safe. We'll be praying for you all.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Stay safe, our thoughts are with you

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
My prayers are with you and everyone else effected by these hurricanes!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Ike blew right through during the night, didn't even know it. LOL Everything is flooded here now though, worse than yesterday. In about half an hour the last of Ike will be completely through this part of Missouri. Then hopefully we'll be done with rain for a while and the temps will get back down to nice instead of hot and muggy.

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
We're getting the remnants of Ike right now in St. Louis and if this is how strong the storm is this far inland - I can't even begin to imagine what the actual hurricane was like when it hit land. My prayers are with everyone as they begin to pick up their lives.

As for us in St. Louis, we've gotten 4 inches of rain already today and it is only 8:45am. The winds are still spiking up to 50mph. My roof is leaking and one of our windows is leaking...eesh. They say we've still got another 2-3 hours before we are clear.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We also had remants of Ike. We didn't get much rain but OMG the wind & I know it was NOWHERE like it was when it was a full force hurricane.

We have trees & limbs down everywhere in our town. Everyone stay safe.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am about 60 miles east of St. Louis and we got 1.7" in no time this a.m.. REALLY windy now and rain comes and goes. Power outage in some areas. At church (well I just went to Sunday school) power went off and on 5 or 6 times in less than an hour. Right now my DH, DD and her BF went over to a friends that shed (hoping its the shed and not house--if it has to be something.) is on fire. Has been burning since mid morning. BIG farmers. Not sure if it was lightening or what.

I am also praying for everyone that was touched by Ike.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We made it through ok. I think it must have weakened considerably more than predicted even, because it was NOTHING like Gustav was. We lost power for about an hour or so in hte middle of the night, so it was really no big deal. Church was quite empty this morning, though, with reports of trees down and power outages all over the city. We live in a good area...same "loop" or "grid" as the hospital and Wal-Mart, so we're among the first restored. That's one reason we live where we do...

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers...glad everyone seems to have made it through ok. I'm praying for everyone still in the path of this fierce storm...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Forget to add our electricity went out for about 8 hours after flickering around a half dozen times. Hubby just told me there were roofes off buildings & windows blew out in places. One of our fireman was injured while out on a evacuations. Tree fell on him think he's ok tho.

This is as close to a hurricane as I want to be. Listening to the roar of chainsaws now.