Anyone else excited about the fall and Christmas prep?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
How adorable, give_me_a_latte! Please keep sharing about that adorable little guy! He gives us smiles! ::eek:rnament:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
This really is my favourite time of year! My DH and I were in the garden yesterday evening and I said "You can smell Autumn in the air" :-D It was a mixture of smoke from chimneys,smoke from garden bonfires and that outdoor woody smell. I love the darker evenings and feeling cosy! In the last week of October we'll decorate for Halloween then once those are down it's only four weeks until we decorate for Christmas! :tree:

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Before I joined MHH I never got too excited about Fall. Sure there were changes like the kids being back in school and the earlier sunsets, but because it stays so warm here I just never got into it. All that has changed and I am very excited for Fall this year and plan to deck-r-8!! There are so many cute Halloween and Fall decorations out there that I've been unable to control myself and I spent too much. (again) Once somebody posted that spray painted black twig in an urn with the crows and the ribbons it sent me over the edge. Hopefully I can keep myself from going as crazy as I do with Christmas which I am also like this :santalol: over.

Cathymac said:
...I was tired of having to work myself to death any time we were having company, just to get the "public" parts of the house presentable...
Ah, yes. This is what we loving refer to in our house as "getting the fake house ready." (Thank you Ray Romano in a great Christmas episode).

Holiday Nut

Retire Member
Nov 5, 2007
Christmas Town
I am!! I just love this time of year. The baking, shopping, decorating, merry making, etc. :haha:

:skate:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
We also have at least two birthdays a month to celebrate from now until Christmas. In fact it's my DH birthday today so we also have at least two parties a month to go to. I must admit this time of year is a little expensive but the way I see it all the celebrations just add to the run up to Christmas! :grin:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Alisonmcg -- I agree with you!!! These birthdays are part of the Grand Run-Up To Christmas!!! I am spending the day today preparing for the birthday celebrations of two grandchildren! One has lots of packages to be wrapped and mailed. The other lives nearby -- and the gifts will be delivered in person. I think it is 104 days to Christmas! Someone suggested celebrating the 100 Days of Christmas! I am all for that! And if there are earlier days for birthdays - or something else -- we will add them in!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I am also very excited about the season. I have three September b/ds, two October b/ds, three November b/ds, one December b/d and one January b/d. And Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I am like a kid in reverse: I love, make that LOVE, to give presents. The shopping is finished. The sewing is not. I have started decorating a little bit for fall in my apartment. Not a lot of room to put out a lot. BUT I HAVE TO DECLUTTER, and I need to do it before I go crazy!!!!! Ok, crazier!! It is hard to clean when you have a lot of junk around. I am too sentimental, so I keep things. Anyhoo, I am bound and determined to put my tree up this year after not having one for two years. I need to do it for me. I want my Christmas joy back. It has been derailed for the last couple of years. So with the help of all of you here at MHH, I am hoping and praying that it does return. There is a slight crispness in the mornings when I leave for work. Mums are appearing in the stores. All the fall decor. Mmmm, baking. Yep, I am excited all right!!

:bigsnow:

wantabe

Retire Member
Jan 11, 2008
Southwest Georgia
I am a cross of excitment and fear for the fall and Christmas season! I imagine everyone can relate to these feelings. Excitment for all the fun and enjoyment the wonderful season brings and then the fear that I will not get everything done in time. Oh well, I just need to buckle down and get busy! I so want to be able to enjoy the season this year!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I picked up 8 more Christmas gifts today!!! The store was out of the BananaGrams on my last visit. Mainly because I took all they had on the shelf but they took my name saying they would call me if they recieved another shipment.

Yesterday they called to say they had 5 of them. I said I could use 3 more. So this morning they called to say they had all 8 for me. They must have called their other stores for my gifts. They had the biggest turkey I'd love to have on display. I'll post a photo under Turkey Day.

I am so excited. I have HALF of my gifts bought now. I still need to do 7 Family History Projects and buy for my two grown kids.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wantabe - I read your post and thought to myself -- "Now why aren't I afraid that I won't get everything done?" And then I realized that I am quite confident that I won't get everything done! I ALWAYS don't get everything done. There is no uncertainty about it. The best I can do is to get the important things done. And, somehow, I always get the important things done. And I trust MMH to help me with knowing what is most important! And I even trust MHH to help keep me stress-free! :santalol:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I found out yesterday that DD8 will be singing at her school's Harvest Festival so that is another thing to look forward too! :-D They will be rehearsing for the next four weeks and she is so excited about it. I must admit, I think I get more nervous than she does!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
alisonmcg said:
I found out yesterday that DD8 will be singing at her school's Harvest Festival so that is another thing to look forward too! :-D They will be rehearsing for the next four weeks and she is so excited about it. I must admit, I think I get more nervous than she does!

Congrats to your dd :) :applause:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Are you able to do any Christmas prep this week?

Is it getting cooler or more pleasant where you are?

I did clean and organize the living room today.

And the weather has dropped into the 80's = which feels a lot better than the 90's.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Are you able to do any Christmas prep this week?

I have finished my menu for Christmas Eve and made my grocery list today. Shopping will be cranked up a notch next week when I have a car.

Is it getting cooler or more pleasant where you are?

It is LOVELY here - -currently 77F here, so I'm going running with my girlfriend in a few mins! Is supposed to be mid to high 70's all week this week. What a beautiful fall!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have decided not to worry too much about food for the holidays this year. We are travelling so it will mean the main dinner will be in my mother's house, and lots of other meals in my mother or MIL's houses (and possibly a few snacks thrown in in my BIL's house, my 2 brother's shared apartment, or my sister's house). So we will only have to cater for ourselves for Christmas and other breakfasts (we'll be there for about 5 days), some snacks, and a birthday party for DD on St Stephen's Day. In reality, it is best to shop for those when we get there (apart from bringing the fixings for a cup of tea and some hot chocolate/cookies on arrival!!) - between a very good grocery store and a lovely farmer's market, we will find everything we need.

I am really looking forward to some proper time off though over the holidays as it's a few years since we've had it. And I am starting to get just a weeny bit impatient for it all to kick off properly. I am not out buying much yet - I've gotten a few bits and pieces, and a lot of presents are crafts this year (and I have all the makings of those), but I will keep getting things as I am in town for various reasons. I want to have a very small list of things to get that DD will help with (like buying her present for her daddy, and also seeing if she wants to get something for her grandparents) - but I need to leave that until late in December. Luckily her new creche is very close to the main shopping street so I can just collect her early some afternoon and we can have dinner in town together as a treat!!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
We always spend Christmas Day with family so I tend to just to buy something special for breakfast on Christmas Day. I used to cook a turkey dinner on Boxing Day but that has fallen by the wayside now ,simpley, because we had eaten so much the day before we were never hungry. So on Boxing Day it's just light food now. As for presents, I've made a start but I'll start to buy more next month. :grin:

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
Oh I'm starting to get excited. This year we have a team of horses so DH spent the evening cleaning up the harnesses and this week we'll shine up all the details and add the sleigh bells. The sleigh needs some work as well, it's going to be so wonderful to take friends and family out for sleigh rides. I think that is going to be the best thing about Christmas this year.

I am going to secretly make a heavy 'lap quilt' for DH with horses as soon as I can get to the fabric store.