April 2013 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Something led me to the Forums this morning after a long, long, long absence and what do you know - it's April Rudolph Day! I don't seem to see a Rudy Day movie list - well, there's a list but no-one seems to have signed up so I'll be watching a few episodes from this - BBC Holiday Comedy & Drama Gift Set - that I got last Christmas. Anyone else a fan of the BBC?

Our daughter, Sophia, is graduating from high school in June so we will be swamped with family and friends and all the festivities, closely followed by three of her girlfriends descending on us from up north (they are in Rhode Island, we are in Virginia). I am sure these girls are going to end up as Sophia's bridesmaids one day. A few weeks later, Sophia heads off to Oregon for the rest of the summer and then starts at Oregon State University in the autumn. Before she goes, I hope to have a little Christmas in July with her as she won't be with us this holiday season. We do, however, have a big family Christmas to look forward to in 2014. We are moving to the West Coast, just six hours away from Sophia and my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews. We will all be together next year and I love a family Christmas celebration. So tough to achieve in a military family when you are often a coast or an ocean away from the rest of the family.

Anyway, back to April Rudolph Day. It's my goal to get my Christmas albums caught up today. I make an annual Christmas Card Album - I've saved every card since Sophia was born in 1994 and I also include announcements of special events - births, graduation, marriages, even obituaries. I recently found a stack of announcements and photos from 2006 to the present so I have go back and put them all in their respective albums. Along with a little Pinterest surfing for Christmas in July ideas, that's my goal for the day...oh, and to keep more current with the Forums.

Happy Rudolph Day everyone!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, Pamela! Congratulations on DD's graduation. Sounds like a wonderful Rudy day to me.

Mine will have to wait, but I will get one in sooner or later.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Pamela! so good to see you posting. You know from time to time I go on your blog to see if you've started posting again. congratulations on dd's graduation.

I will try to continue working on my crafts this weekend - they are at a standstill since dh is the one that has to pierce holes in them before I continue.
Need to go over my Christmas notebook & work on my Rudolph day album. Oh a nice Christmas movie is a great idea.

Happy Rudolph day everyone!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
What are you making, Lucie?

Pamela! so good to see you posting. You know from time to time I go on your blog to see if you've started posting again. congratulations on dd's graduation.

I will try to continue working on my crafts this weekend - they are at a standstill since dh is the one that has to pierce holes in them before I continue.
Need to go over my Christmas notebook & work on my Rudolph day album. Oh a nice Christmas movie is a great idea.

Happy Rudolph day everyone!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Not sure what I will do but maybe find a christmas recipe to try.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm making some small signs that say 'Gone to the Beach' and they are signed 'Santa' and I crocheted some santa hats to hang on the side. When they are done I'll post a pic. I'm making 12.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Pam., it is good to see you posting! You have some changes coming about. But I guess like you said you move around so...

I am not doing anything towards Christmas but working on stuff for a baby shower that I am doing the games for on May 7th.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thanks for reminding us and congrats on DD's graduation. It sounds like the move will be a positive thing all the way around.
I really don't have much planed or time to do much today. So I wll listend to some Christmas music when I can, I can use some happy thought and that usually does the trick. I know what I want to do for the CiJ ornament exchange and need to make another one or two to get the hang of it so I can do it w/o the instructions/video always running.

hope everyone enjoys their rudy say where ever it takes you.

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Hi PamelaG---

Nice to meet another anglophile! What BBc shows do you watch?

Have my work space just about ready for the ornament-making. Will go through Christmas binder this weekend and see which crafts I would like to make this year, just for myself. If I don't decide and purchase the needed items early, nothing will get made.

P.S. How do you like Virginia? It's one of the states we're considering moving to (in a few years).

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I love the older BBC (and British in general) comedy and drama - The Good Life, To The Manor Born, the Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served?, All Creatures Great and Small. I love Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, and Mr. Selfridge, all recent shows on our local PBS. I love any period drama - Upstairs, Downstairs, The Pallisers, Lillie, Horatio Hornblower, Edward the King, and I, Claudius. Since we added Netflix, I've discovered Monarch of the Glen and Midsomer Murders. Any of those on your favorites list?

This is our second time to live in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. We were here from 2003 to 2007 and now we'll be here until next summer. I like the proximity to Washington DC, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and the Civil War and Presidential homes sites. Traffic is a challenge as it is with any urban area. Where in Virginia are you looking to move?

Have you traveled to England or are you admiring it from afar? I'm a bit of both as I haven't been back since 2003 but I grew up there so it will always feel like home.

I know what you mean about getting your crafts organized. I really dropped the ball on Christmas in July - ok, I had a excuse as we had just moved here - but I really enjoy that time in the summer to experiment with new crafts. I'm not a hot weather person so I enjoy staying in the air conditioning and crafting.

Do you have a blog? Mine's been idle for too long and that is going to change!

It's nice to meet you.

Hi PamelaG---

Nice to meet another anglophile! What BBc shows do you watch?

Have my work space just about ready for the ornament-making. Will go through Christmas binder this weekend and see which crafts I would like to make this year, just for myself. If I don't decide and purchase the needed items early, nothing will get made.

P.S. How do you like Virginia? It's one of the states we're considering moving to (in a few years).

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Oh, I have no specific area of Virginia in mind...we know very little about it, actually. We're just looking for states that have a better climate than we do in Wisconsin, but aren't as far south as, say, Texas or Florida. Lovely natural scenery is a priority, too.

Have been trying to get into Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge, but the boys' TV priorities are not always the same as mine. I should record them... don't know why that didn't occur to me before. I just cannot watch Keeping Up Appearances. That woman...Hyacinth? drives me way too crazy!!! Love Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Blackadder, Sherlock Holmes (w/Jeremy Brett), Miss Marple w/Geraldine McEwen, and Prime Suspect. The name of the actress in that escapes me now, but the DVD's are on my wish list. Oh, it's Mirren, isn't it...Helen Mirren!

Have loved England from afar for as long as I can remember. Quite sure I lived a past life there (lol)! Whenever DH asks me where I go if we could visit anywhere, it's always England and Hawaii. Have dreamt of visiting the Cotswolds, London at Christmastime (if I could magically make the crowds disappear), Stonehenge, Bronte country...you name it. So what's your vote...Austen or the Brontes? Don't worry, I won't hold it against you if you pick wrong! lol

Could go on forever about the things I love about England, I'll have to leave that for later. Tonight is DS's school concert, and he'll want me to look presentable (i.e. no fuzzy blue robe and slippers). Don't have a blog, but look forward to seeing yours when you get back to it. Have a great night!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
HI, all! Happy Rudy Day! Can't believe it's the 4th Rudy day of 2013!!

PamelaG- A lot of exciting stuff for you! So, you're daughter is going to be an Oregan State Beaver, huh??!!
The team I follow- University of Arizona is in the same conference as Oregon.

Looking up Christmas in July stuff on Pinterest is a good idea. Think I will do that!

Eight months everybody until "Our" day!!

Annie

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Jane Austen or the Brontes? I don't think I could pick one over the other. Bronte Country in the north is rugged yet picturesque, Austen's Bath is a place I could easily live for the rest of my life. Actually, just about anywhere in England is where I could live for the rest of my life!

I don't think you'd consider this area as one with lovely, natural scenery. Further west perhaps, the Blue Ridge Mountain area, but then employment opportunities are fewer. How about Kentucky or Tennessee? I hear they are lovely states. We've been in Florida (too hot), Illinois (too cold), here twice and Rhode Island. Rhode Island would be my choice between all of them even though we can get some wicked snow in the winter! We love New England - talk about lovely, natural scenery - I guess as a Navy family, anything near water tops our list. Rhode Island is just the perfect location - if you want a city weekend, head to Boston or NY, for the country it's Vermont or New Hampshire, for the seaside Cape Cod. We kept our house up there because as of right now, that's our first pick for retirement. Who knows though? After seeing the Pacific Northwest, my husband might decide he likes it there better. I know he's looking forward to all that salmon!

Hope the concert goes well!