April 25 - May 8 Closets or Laundry Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Now this is a nice 2-week for me because closets are DONE!!! So, I'll continue working on the rest.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My closets are also pretty good. I really need to go through DH closet as I am sure that he has a lot of things in there that need tossing. I do not want to start buying him too much until I check what he already has.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Two weeks for the closets!!! (And for regular life, of course.) EVERY time we go through our closets -- they get better! (UNLESS we keep dragging in MORE stuff!) And "better" is fine for me!

It is EASY for me to take things to the Thrift Shop. (Only 10 minutes away.) PLUS -- charities notify us that they are collecting in our area - about once a month. AND - trash is collected once a week. (So is recycling.)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just went through DH closet with him. Threw out about 5 items. What is it with men, they can not part with anything. Do NOT need to get DH anything except for some sox and boxershorts. That means I can cross a whole bunch of things off my Christmas list that I thought that DH needed. I will have to think of other things for him now.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I watched a couple of shows on hoarding over the weekend (while resting from the wedding events!) One of them ESPECIALLY has me thinking. The program had a very nice woman. She lived in an apartment. She worked, had friends, was very pleasant. HER problem seemed to be: getting "good" ideas for projects. And keeping the supplies for the projects..... even though her apartment simply DID NOT have the space for all the items. There was NOTHING wrong with any of the items that I saw. It was just that they had piled up and spilled over, and taken over all the available space. Well..... TOO MUCH of the available space.

Honestly --- I have things that I REALLY love.... and there is NOT enough space for all of them. In a BIG house.... the amount I have would be fine. I actually live in the house I live in. I do NOT want to move to a bigger place. And there is simply NOT room for everything I have.

The program also had a woman who was diagnosed (by her psychiatrist) as seriously ill. For some reason, a crew of professional organizers came in -- after the psychiatrist had prepared her patient (and us, through TV) for their arrival. The crew cleaned the kitchen are -- which was in a condition that required the home be condemned -- or cleaned. After the cleaning.... the woman said that she was continually fighting urges to "replace" all the items which had been taken out. (Almost all of which were broken, filthy, unsanitary, or plain garbage.) The woman kept saying that.... she hated "throwing out the things that could have had some use..." The woman thought that SOMEONE could have recycled the filthy, broken items.... which had been put in the trash. Oh.... I think the end of the program said that the woman had NOT actually thrown anything away after all. She was shown with a large, metal storage structure in her yard -- and the narrator said that the woman had rented the structure -- to store the items that had ben taken out of her kitchen.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am concentrating on a few key closets this period.

I need, now that my unexpected visitors are gone, to finish my seasonal clothing changeover. Try on clothes and see what still fits. Move heavy winter to the guest bedroom and decent spring ones to my room (not the "height of summer strappy tops" type yet though).

I also want to clear out that closet in the guest room thoroughly. As there are lots of project things and gifts stored in the bottom too.

Closet in my own room needs attention.

And if I get to it, the closet under the stairs could do with a deep winter coats removal too.

Little steps will get me there - and I can only take out a few things together in case more unexpected visitors arrive so I can't leave the job half done like usual. I hope, once I empty my suitcase tonight after an overnight business trip, to get started on the guestroom tonight. (Plane was delayed an hour last night, so I was beyond caring about it when I did get in!).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Closets are done. That was easier than I thought. I think it is because I have been following different plans and things no longer seem to get out of hand. I did room a month last year so therefore there has only been about 12 months for things to get out of hand. Much easier to keep on top of things now.

Will move on to the laundry this weekend I hope. Not much to do in there but it will good to get in there and give it a bit of a tidy up.