August 2023 Menu Plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thank you, Katrina!
I love curry so will try this!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This is the plan. Going to try to cook on the grill as much as possible and keep the heat outside. Will see how it goes.

Aug. 21 - 28, 2023
Monday
-- burgers, BLTs, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, coleslaw
Tuesday -- chicken in crock pot (then finish on the grill, with corn), corn on the cob, coleslaw
Wednesday -- sausage stuffed banana peppers, salad
Thursday -- fish, roasted potatoes, coleslaw
Friday --pizza, salad
Saturday -- sloppy joes, roasted potatoes, coleslaw
Sunday -- part of a pork roast, baked sweet potato, coleslaw

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
For lunch we had Chicken tender strips chopped up over rice with peas and pineapple. DD had honey mustard dressing on hers. LC1 and I added ginger, hot sauce and Nori Furikake. Dinner was salads from Culvers. Will be eating out until Thursday.

believeinmagic

MHH Member
Aug 14, 2023
Houston, USA
Has anyone tried Kimchi? I went to South Korea last month and tasted their famous Kimchi. I like it and tried it at home. Thought to share it with you :)

1. Prepare the Cabbage:
    • Cut the napa cabbage in half lengthwise and then into quarters.
    • Dissolve 1/4 cup of sea salt in 4 cups of water to create a brine.
    • Submerge the cabbage quarters in the brine, making sure they're fully covered. Let them soak for 1-2 hours, flipping them halfway through.
  2. Rinse and Drain:
    • After soaking, rinse the cabbage thoroughly under cold running water to remove excess salt.
    • Gently squeeze out excess water and let the cabbage drain in a colander for about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Prepare the Seasoning Paste:
    • In a bowl, combine grated ginger, minced garlic, sugar, fish sauce or soy sauce, and Korean red pepper flakes. Mix well to form a paste.
  4. Coat the Cabbage:
    • Separate the cabbage leaves slightly and spread the seasoning paste evenly between the layers, making sure each leaf is coated.
  5. Roll and Pack:
    • Roll each cabbage quarter tightly from the stem end to the leafy end.
    • Pack the rolled cabbage into a clean and sterilized glass jar, pressing down firmly as you go. Leave about an inch of space at the top.
  6. Fermentation:
    • Leave the jar at room temperature for 1-5 days to allow the kimchi to ferment. The fermentation time will depend on your desired level of sourness. Burp the jar daily to release any built-up gases.
  7. Taste and Store:
    • Taste the kimchi after a day or two to check the level of fermentation. Once it reaches your desired flavor, transfer the jar to the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation process.
  8. Serve and Enjoy:
    • Kimchi can be enjoyed as a side dish, in sandwiches, stir-fries, or rice bowls.

believeinmagic

MHH Member
Aug 14, 2023
Houston, USA
Has anyone tried Kimchi? I went to South Korea last month and tasted their famous Kimchi. I like it and tried it at home. Thought to share it with you :)

1. Prepare the Cabbage:
    • Cut the napa cabbage in half lengthwise and then into quarters.
    • Dissolve 1/4 cup of sea salt in 4 cups of water to create a brine.
    • Submerge the cabbage quarters in the brine, making sure they're fully covered. Let them soak for 1-2 hours, flipping them halfway through.
  2. Rinse and Drain:
    • After soaking, rinse the cabbage thoroughly under cold running water to remove excess salt.
    • Gently squeeze out excess water and let the cabbage drain in a colander for about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Prepare the Seasoning Paste:
    • In a bowl, combine grated ginger, minced garlic, sugar, fish sauce or soy sauce, and Korean red pepper flakes. Mix well to form a paste.
  4. Coat the Cabbage:
    • Separate the cabbage leaves slightly and spread the seasoning paste evenly between the layers, making sure each leaf is coated.
  5. Roll and Pack:
    • Roll each cabbage quarter tightly from the stem end to the leafy end.
    • Pack the rolled cabbage into a clean and sterilized glass jar, pressing down firmly as you go. Leave about an inch of space at the top.
  6. Fermentation:
    • Leave the jar at room temperature for 1-5 days to allow the kimchi to ferment. The fermentation time will depend on your desired level of sourness. Burp the jar daily to release any built-up gases.
  7. Taste and Store:
    • Taste the kimchi after a day or two to check the level of fermentation. Once it reaches your desired flavor, transfer the jar to the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation process.
  8. Serve and Enjoy:
    • Kimchi can be enjoyed as a side dish, in sandwiches, stir-fries, or rice bowls.
Has anyone of you seen or tasted Kimchi?

Reactions: Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Will be forced to do menus until Oct when the windows get put in. Thought about that today that I need to make reservations at the hotel for that too. DD will be attempting to help and flirt with the workman.

25-Chopped BLTs
26- Prime Rib and baked potatoes with a home grown tomato salad
27- Broccoli Stir Fry with leftover meat

Reactions: Lori K

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@believeinmagic I have heard of it. I have never had it but have been reading lately about eating more fermented foods. A friend just yesterday mentioned it to me! I like sauerkraut ... and I think one can get kimchi not as hot as some others. I wouldn't want it hot and spicy, just tasty. I think a natural store here in town, may actually have some jars in their cold section like where the pickles are. I may go check that out soon.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks interesting and may have to try making a small batch.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I enjoy Korean food so yes, I have had kimchi.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Aug. 28 - Sept. 3, 2023
Monday
-- baked mostaccoli, Ital. sausage, salad, garlic toast
Tuesday -- chicken in crock pot, rice, coleslaw
Wednesday -- chicken pot pie, salad
Thursday -- tacos, Spanish rice
Friday --homemade pizza, salad
Saturday -- open -- DM's senior living complex is hosting their end of summer family picnic
Sunday -- burgers on the grill, potato salad, baked beans, sliced tomatoes went to festival in neighboring town with DD & DSIL, ate "festival food" while there.

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
August 28 – September 3
  • Monday ~ Grilled hamburger with caramelized onions and mushrooms, green salad
  • Tuesday ~ Smoked salmon strata (new recipe)
  • Wednesday ~ Pork chops, green salad
  • Thursday ~ Leftover chicken salad
  • Friday ~ Skinny Taste Tomato Tuna melts (new recipe) or Tuna-Basil Pasta
  • Saturday (travel to lake) ~ Dinner out?
  • Sunday ~ TBD

Reactions: jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
25-Chopped BLTs
26- Prime Rib and baked potatoes with a home grown tomato salad
27- Broccoli Stir Fry with leftover meat
28-Sliced Cabbage with meat loaf meat and a sauce baked on top (did in the grill
29-Lemony Shrimp Avocado and Tomato Salad from facebook Salad Lovers

Reactions: luludou and jampss

believeinmagic

MHH Member
Aug 14, 2023
Houston, USA
@believeinmagic I have heard of it. I have never had it but have been reading lately about eating more fermented foods. A friend just yesterday mentioned it to me! I like sauerkraut ... and I think one can get kimchi not as hot as some others. I wouldn't want it hot and spicy, just tasty. I think a natural store here in town, may actually have some jars in their cold section like where the pickles are. I may go check that out soon.
If you enjoy sauerkraut, you'll likely appreciate the flavors of kimchi as well. I like it mild, not super hot but I don't like it not spicy.

Reactions: jampss