August declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Good luck with the mudroom.

Thanks! I got it just about DONE (still have the kids homework papers from last year to sort). Took 2-3 hours but it was worth it. A trashbag of clothes to donation (because the donation basket is in there), a trashcan worth of trash/recycling, an entire cabinet cleared because I decided I would never again need those lighting catalogues and such from building our house so all of that got pitched and a space opened for other things. YAY!

And what is UP with the lightbulb packaging these days? All that anti-theft plastic is just ridiculous! Where are we supposed to store all that? Will need to find a new lightbulb source that is a little more eco-friendly.

Anyhow, all the donations are in my car and I'll drop them off when I head into town today. :D

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
2 of my sweaters are in the donation bag this morning (one is brand new! but too tight)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was just checking the forum and read the August Declutter club...my first thought was...
Does decluttering an 18 year old count...hahahahaha Can I just say, as much as I love my dear child, I will not miss the constant clutter that comes with her... (or maybe I will..) but at this particular moment in time, my house is full of stuff, and I'm ready for it to be gone! I was just thinking about this. As much as I declutter girls, it never, EVER seems to be over.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Diedra, will have to read Allen your post about you saying DH said it was the boys who never put stuff back. Watching Allen with some stuff while Ryan was in Texas I saw it was him TOO!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was just checking the forum and read the August Declutter club...my first thought was...
Does decluttering an 18 year old count...hahahahaha
I think it counts double at least!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Yesterday I cleaned my bedroom while DH was out.

Cleaned out my dresser and got a large bag of clothes to go out. I had been saving some jeans and shorts that I just need to lose 5 pounds to wear. Well, I've had them for over a year and they are still tight so out they go. I tend to wear the same things all the time so I got rid of things I just don't wear anymore. Lots of space for my clothes now!

I do my closet twice a year during the season changes and when I purchase new clothes so that is in good shape.

It was so nice to sleep in a nice clean bedroom. The dresser had become an eyesore with open drawers and piles of clothes on them.

Today is my pantry shelves. I have an open shelf unit in my kitchen so that needs to be tidied.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Robin, WTG! Hoping to get that feeling in my room some time in near future.

I have a basket started in my room for my great aunt Royal Neighbors Club. They have a fund raiser in September with baked items and flea market so will send stuff her way.

purplecrush

Premiere Member
I REALLY need to clean my bedroom and walk in closet! Ive been putting it off for sometime now. Everything from the rest of the house, somehow, gets shoved in my room and closet. "No one" knows how this happens? I have two teenagers , DS16 and DD14 , and they never know.

Maybe I will be doing that this coming week. I love sleeping in a nice, clean room too!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
purplecrush-Hope you can tackle your room soon. You just don't realize all the little things creeping into your bedroom and when you have it cleared out, what a difference. I still have boxes of things I have to store in my room, but it is neat and out of the way. The dresser tops are clear, nothing on the floor. I broke my habit of leaving dirty clothes on the floor so that is not an issue, it was putting clean clothes away. And now that I have tons of room in the dresser, I can actually do that.

Now if I could get DH to declutter his clothes, lol!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH got 1 of the old tvs out the door this weekend!!

Michelle, we moved dd's stuff back to her dormitory this weekend.... that declutters ALOT!!! woohoo!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Decluttered the guest room closet and finally let go of 4 big decor-pillows that I have no shams for and haven't had for years. It is so free-ing to just let them go! And there's so much more room in the closet now!

Decluttered my iphone by mustering the bravery to "Merge and Delete Duplicates" in my Gmail list. When I switched to iphone but kept my google account for my contacts the Apple Store somehow multiplied my contacts. Some had 8! Crazy! I've been afraid to use Google's clean up feature but finally did and removed 1100 contacts. AWESOME!!

purplecrush

Premiere Member
purplecrush-Hope you can tackle your room soon. You just don't realize all the little things creeping into your bedroom and when you have it cleared out, what a difference. I still have boxes of things I have to store in my room, but it is neat and out of the way. The dresser tops are clear, nothing on the floor. I broke my habit of leaving dirty clothes on the floor so that is not an issue, it was putting clean clothes away. And now that I have tons of room in the dresser, I can actually do that.

Now if I could get DH to declutter his clothes, lol!

I despise putting clothes away lol...Hate it with a passion..that and folding!

I will be doing my room today, I have to. It's seriously driving me crazy with all the clutter!!

This week is crazy busy, but atleast if I get my room done, I'll have a nice, quiet CLEAN place to come chill out for a bit!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Spent the weekend washing bags of laundry. I said I would never let my clothes pile up like that again. I have way too many pieces of clothing. Then I went through my linen closet and threw out all of my bed sheets except the flannel ones. I bought a couple sets and put a couple on layaway at Kmart til I can get them out payday next week. I also threw out my bed pillows and bought all new ones.

My next project is to sort through my papers.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Aggy-I went through my closet last year and got rid of so much. Especially work clothes. I tend to wear the same outfits each week so I didn't need all the stuff I didn't wear anymore. I buy new stuff each year so now I get rid of old clothes when I do that. Paperwork - ugh, I just spent like 3 weeks going through 10 years of files.

I really should declutter my linen closet. It is neat, but really stuffed. And I have a basket of guest towels on the floor of the closet.

Cindylou-Great job on the phone declutter!

Lucie-I can't wait for my DH to get the old electronics out of here!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I wanted to post, when I came home from work on Monday, there was DH sitting on the floor in the bedroom, with his sock drawer out, decluttering!

It's a start.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I wanted to post, when I came home from work on Monday, there was DH sitting on the floor in the bedroom, with his sock drawer out, decluttering!

It's a start.

It does take them awhile to get on board. Very good news.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Delcuttered a shelf in the bathroom cabinet... 5 more bottles of expired pills out the door. Needed some space to put my new cold & flu basket.

DH also took the cabinet in the gazebo and put it near the garbage ... next time they pick up big furniture out it goes :) DS got rid of 5 pairs of sunglasses.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
You guys are doing great on decluttering your wardrobes. I have yet to tackle the clothes closet. I did declutter a stack of summer clothes that I never wear but hang onto "just in case". Now I've lost weight and it no longer fits me! Hooray!

Started decluttering the attic -- which got buried to prep for a party we had in the Spring. Now the backlog of suitcase and camping gear has again moved into the middle of my Master Closet. Got a ton out and there is a ton to go. Letting go of more pillows and some Karate pads/gear that are hogging up tons of space.

Decluttered my Mac which was a disaster after moving from the PC. Finally sat down and learned Mac's system and started merging and deleting files. Think I have the hang of it now and can probably just do it in front of the tv now. Need to do the same thing with the PC in the office. It has a backlog of files from older computers -- you know how "old files" get buried in the system? Yeah. That.

Okay - off to declutter more "stuff" right now! Want the kids to have spotless rooms for Back to School.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD went through her armoire tonight and got rid of 2 skirts, 1 short and 14 shirts. yay!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I took the basket from my room and put out onto the trailer with the stuff for auction (a lady just sales your stuff for people at her weekly sales.) or Aunt Imogenes fund raiser thru Royal Neighbors.

Burning a lot. Can't believe how Allen says crap has to go! Love it!