Baking and Candy Making Plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Every year I try to plan baking and candy making ahead of time so I can buy ingredients and just be "ready". The trouble is...I can NEVER make up my mind and often fall back on some old favorites ....but this year I am a tiny bit ahead of the game.

For Thanksgiving my contribution will be a Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie

For Christmas:

Cookies: Don't know all yet but at least I'm thinking.

1. Peanutbutter Kisses
2. Thumbprint Cookies
3. Bars (either Buried Cherry or Carmel Pecan) ***testing them in Sept. then deciding

Candy:

1. Chocolate Mint Brownie Pops
2. Dipped Pretzel Rods

I'm hoping to settle on the other cookie recipes soon...lol

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I've written a list of cookies/food gifts to make, but it's with my Rudy Day notebook and I can only vaguely remember what's on it at the moment!

I think there's peanut brittle there (for DH - he loves the stuff) and some fudge. Oh, gingerbread people to make with the kids, and some gorgeous looking white chocolate balls.

I don't usually make food gifts, so should be interesting to see how that works out!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
good start. That pie sounds really good. I need to get a list, at least of ideas. I am thinking of giving frozen cookie dough as gifts so they can cook and bake as they want them. But I need to start makeing a list of different cookie recepies.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I've never put this into practice but want to do it. I have a haphazard list of what I want to do. I need to plan or I don't do it.

I was thinking of making a to do list for sessions....this way when I get nearer the time I will have the ingredients and pull out session 1 etc etc...we'll see.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I usually make the same things every year.

Sugar cookies
Gingerbread men
Peanut Blossoms
Peanut Butter Fudge
Peanut Butter Balls

I feel like i'm forgetting something. Sometimes I make oreo balls, but this year I think i'll make dipped oreos.

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
There are certain things I have to make:

chocolate chip cookies
peanut butter cookies
sugar cookies
snickerdoodles

peanut butter fudge
chocolate fudge
peanut butter bon-bons
haystacks
turtles
rice krispies treat

This year I'm gonna try a few new things. Just deciding on what :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am not sure what they are called but for the last few yrs the boys and I enjoy making these candys. You use square or round pretzels and top w/ a hershey's kiss (we use some of the flavored as well) heat slighty and top w/ a m&m and press down to spread out the kiss. Cheep, easy, makes a lot, and really good

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Some things I make year after year. I've decided to make less .. too many leftovers in the freezer.

- Fudge
- Sucre a la crème
- Thumbprint cookies
and one more to be determined.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We do ALOT of cookie/candy trays for the holidays.

Every year we think we will cut down but seem to add more people!!! I do a tray for each of the 3 branches where I work, DD's work, DS's bosses (2 last yr.), future SIL for work, a tray for each of the future SIL's parents, then we have 3 friends, send to nephew in Texas, 4 family memebers, the preacher, us for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and of course extras so what gets ate before being given out. Then if there is somebody that helps us out during the year if anything or whatever and won't take anything we do them a tray.

Then we always say we will cut down and not make so many different kinds of stuff BUT.... seems everybody likes different so.....

We always have:
Peanut Butter Balls
Oreo Balls
Pecan Sandies
Fannie May Fudge
Peanut Butter Fudge
Oreo Fudge
Lemon Snowflakes
Crunchy Bark
Cookie Dough Truffles
Square pretzels with a rolo in the middle and then a pecan on top of that
ritz crackers with peanut butter inbetween and dipped in chocolate
I might be missing some

Then there is
turtles
candy bar cookies
peanut clusters
chocolate chip
trillionaire cookies
Shortbread (since I got a kitchenaid a few yrs. back, I can make these again. Burnt up a few mixers on them. They are good and make a big batch)
and whatever else we add on

We really need to think on this. It all adds up so fast as we all know. But is such an easy gift and people seem to love it.

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Lana - What are Lemon Snowflakes?

I always make the following:

-Chocolate Chip Cookies
-Mom Maw's White Chocolate Candy (no bake)
-Peanut Butter Balls

This year, living with the boys, I think I'll do some sugar cookies that they can decorate. Any one have a sugar cookie recipe they have had good luck with?

I have never made fudge before. My mom and MIL make excellent fudge, but I've never tried it.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Many years ago in a Christmas issue of Country Woman I had a recipe published and on the same page was Lemon Snowflakes. I made them because my mom loves lemon things and they are a favorite of hers and my younger sister Miranda.

They are so easy too! Can change it up with other flavors such as chocolate, strawberry etc.
1 (18 1/2 ounce) lemon cake mix with pudding
2 1/4 cups frozen non whipped topping thawed
1 egg
Confectioners' sugar

In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, whipped topping and egg. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Batter will be very sticky. Drop by teaspoonsful in confectioners' sugar, roll lightly to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown.

Yield 5-6 dozen

I learned if you lightly butter your hands it is easier to roll them.

Last year I also added the small loaves of zucchini-pineapple bread and banana bread to my trays. I just put the zucchini-pineapple bread up on my blog. Another blogger asked for it.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks Lana. My mom will love these so I've moved them to my recipe file.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Kim do you have a recipe file set up on your computer? Is it a program or?

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ginger - It's just on the computer. I'm sure there are programs for recipe organization, but I don't use one. My recipes on the computer are broken down like this:

Entrees
Sides
Desserts
Drinks
Kid Friendly
Menus

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I pick the first week in December to do my baking. I bake a cookie a night/day that week. You can search Christmas cookies on my blog for cookies that I bake. They include:

Italian Cookies
Peanut Butter Blossoms
Annie's Butter Cookies
Holiday Snowballs
Creamy Caramel Cups
Peanut Butter Temptations

I usually do some candies as well....Toffee and Chocolate covered pretzel rods.

Blessings,
Lisa

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Lana-I got those from some magazine also (can't remember which one) and use them a lot. And have done different cake mixes

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Kim, I posted my sugar cookie recipe last year I believe so it should still be here. If you can't find it let me know and i'll send it to you. It also may be on my Christmas Blog.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Goodness I'm subscribing to this thread. I need to get some of these recipes off here esp. the simple ones.

Ginger when CIJ is over how long will the threads remain open? Trying to make sure I find time to get the recipes I need off the threads. TFS ladies

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I make lemon and orange cookies, chocolate chip cookies, hazelnut cookies - all using the same basic dough but having slight variations (I know there's an option for coconut ones too but Ive never tried those).

Some years I make chocolate truffles as well, and fudge. This year, I intend making chocolates with preserved cherries in the middle - I put the cherries into honey rum a couple of weeks ago.

And I have a recipe for biscotti which might last nicely, that would be worth adding into a couple of presents for foodie and coffee lovers.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Added to my list....oh its coming along VERY well.....basically have one more cookie to decide on. And to test the bar recipes.

Decided to make bars for one...and have two recipes which I will try out in September...on Rudolph Day...then I'll pick the one to use!

I'm early...but I'm going to start creating the master ingredient list so I can start stocking up starting Sept. 1st!

Cookies:

1. Peanutbutter Kisses
2. Thumbprint Cookies
3. Bars (either Buried Cherry or Carmel Pecan) ***testing them in Sept. then deciding

Candy:

1. Chocolate Mint Brownie Pops
2. Dipped Pretzel Rods