Baking and Candy Making Plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'll leave CIJ up through August and then close it for the year.

Maybe I can get some of the mods to help me copy the recipes to our recipe archive forum so we will have them ...that forum needs some work...lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great thread!

I did not bake last year...AT ALL! Gasp! It was horrible! I promised myself that I would NOT let that happen again - baking is one of the Christmassy things that I love most!

Anyway, I usually make plates/trays for my mom's 11 siblings, 4 for neighbors, 2 for DS' school, 2 for my inlaws, and several "extras" for last minute giving/hosting.

Here are the ones I usually make:

Surprise snowballs (super easy. I always hide a Hershey kiss inside, but any candy will do)
Cappuccino Flats (great for coffee lovers, half dipped in chocolate)
Gingerbread snowflakes (cutouts)
Chocolate crinkles
Holly spice cookies (sandwich cookies with red raspberry jam in the middle)
Oatmeal cranberry (substitute Craisins for raisins)
Biscotti (with red & green candied cherries)
Annisette cookies
Peanut Butter cookies
Chocolate chip

If I have time, I try to make special sugar cookie cutouts (I pick a different theme each year that I do them and they become the "centerpiece" Decorating them is very time consuming, but they can look great on the plate!) If nopt, I make spritz cookies with colored sugar.

This year I want to try a recipe from the book "On Strike For Christmas" - the one with the Andies mints? Has anyone tried these? They sound wonderful!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
This year, living with the boys, I think I'll do some sugar cookies that they can decorate. Any one have a sugar cookie recipe they have had good luck with?

Kim - in a pinch, use the refrigerated sugar cookie dough. just cut off a bunch and roll it out (keep the part you're not working with in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it). It is so much easier and quicker. Less mess and you can get right to the decorating. I admit, I always use this "cheat" when I'm making cookies for kids to decorate...it's all about the icing and sprinkles, right?

If you want to make them from scratch, I suggest making them ahead of time...you can freeze the undecorated cutouts and then just let them thaw before decorating. HTH!

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
I made a large number of sugar cookies back in March for my son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor, using the Scout symbol cutout. I used the Betty Crocker bag max on the suggestion of a good friend who makes EVERYTHING from scratch, and they were great. Just drizzled a little powdered sugar glaze on top, and we were ready to go. Sprinkles would work too, though.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'll leave CIJ up through August and then close it for the year.

Maybe I can get some of the mods to help me copy the recipes to our recipe archive forum so we will have them ...that forum needs some work...lol

Thanks Ginger...There are some great recipes, ideas & shortcuts in this thread

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Love this thread! Baking has very much been on my mind lately too!

I thought that I knew what I was baking for Christmas this year. Then I got my new Christmas With Southern Living book and read the section called "Big Fat Cookies".

Now I'm in trouble because every single recipe looks soooooo good! They all are drop cookies, most of them iced in some way, and all are dropped by 1/4 cupfulls at a time - they make BIG cookies but the batches are small, 13-15 cookies a batch. So there are pros and cons...

Some I want to try during CIJ:

- German Chocolate Cake Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Pillows (You basically envelope a square of baked brownie with choc chip cookie dough, then bake again - UMM!)
- White Chocolate Chocolate Espresso Cookies
- Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (Cocount and dried cranberries in the oatmeal cookies, then they are dipped in white chocolate...)

I will definitely make the following this year:

- Chunky Chocolate Gobs - Chopped up Oreos, Mounds candy bars and choc chips go into these babies!

- Buckeyes

Some old standy bys that I have made in years gone by and may do again:

- Cocoa Kiss Cookies (cookie dough wrapped around a Hershey's kiss, baked cookie rolled in powdered sugar)

- Peanutbutter Gingerbread Cookies

- Chocolate Espresso Cookies

- Lemony Snickets

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My "standards" that my and DH's former co-workers expect are chocolate dipped oreos and chocolate dipped pretzels. Extras sometimes go to DS's doormen and other favored people. I dip in both dark and white chocolate.

One friend always wants a rum cake and I sometimes make more than one.

For local businesses I do eggnog loafs and if I really like them I make pecan pies or small cheesecakes:)

If I can get dried fruit cheaply enough I make brandied fruit with the inexpensive brandy from the Class Six military liquor store.

Sometimes what I make depends of what I find I have on hand at baking time (like extra Craisins from some other recipe) or what the supermarket is offering on sale (cake mixes)

Debbie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
we get our chinese takeout in really nice plastic containers. When I had more than i needed i started saving them and plan on using them for my candy. They may be too small for cookies (dep on what I make) but work good for the pretzel candies and other things that aren't too fragile.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We bake three cookies for Christmas:

1. Santa Whiskers
2. Cut-out Sugar cookies
3. Gingerbread men

Last year I made a mincemeat pie - a real accomplishment as I bake gluten free :) My husband says it was very good - I do not know if he was telling me the whole truth, or being kind :)

I am hoping to try out a few new recipes during Christmas in July, if the weather will cooperate - it has been so hot!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
This is a great thread! These ideas are making me very hungry!
I'll be making the following:
Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate crackles, gingerbread cookies, baklava, fudge, peanut clusters, dipped pretzel rods, small pretzels with rolo and pecan, candied pecans and a Martha Stewart recipe for black and white cookies. Last month I tried a recipe for gooey butter cookies that everyone liked so I'll have to make those as well. I will start making and freezing the doughs in Sept.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am enjoying this thread so very much!

Lana and Colleen- What lists you have! Do you bake ahead and freeze or devote a week or so to your baking?

festivefun- I like the idea of baking in sessions. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with a lot of recipes all laid out. You could even set up a container with the ingrediants needed for that session- pull out the container and that's what you work from on that session. Very good idea.

Aunt Jamelle- Those Big cookies seem fun and interesting! Is that a cookbook worth getting?

Annie

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When we do ours I normally make sure I have all the supplies and then I always do them the Saturday before the Christmas week. Normally like 17th, 19th whatever it is. We start on a Saturday a.m. and then normally work late and then on Sunday we (should say DH--he is the dipper) dip what needs it and then try to package things up for delivery. My grandparents always made the peanut butter balls way earlier so might try them a week earlier. I like things made and delivered.

DH and kids help so..............

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I've tried baking early, freezing cookies, etc.....just doesn't seem to work for me...the BEST ever was one Christmas when everything was clean, wrapped, dinner prep done, ....I spent most of the day baking...YES on Christmas Eve.....and we were getting tons of snow...it was nice!

But this year I won't cut it quite that close....

I will do a couple batches of cookies....right before my Christmas party...haven't decided if it will be Dec. 4th or Dec. 11th. I will also do one batch of candy

Then I will do another batch of those same cookies plus two others and candy the week of Dec. 19th through Christmas Eve (will just need a day or a couple of evenings to do it...so some time that week)....I know...it sounds crazy but I like to do them right before Christmas....

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Annie..great idea about seperating ingredients. I love how we continue to inspire one another. I would take that a step further and measure out some of the ingredients, at least the dry ones, all in one session. Just cause I don't enjoy the measuring bit I'm afraid, but have done sthg similar before when I'm tackling more than one recipe in a day and makes the process much more enjoyable for me.

I know what you mean Gingerbug....I like finding a happy medium between stuff frozen and still finding the time to bake at the heart of the season.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Michelle- That's exactly what I was thinking- measure out the dry ingredients for each session and put each in a containter or ziplock back. Then all that stuff goes into your storage container (box) So, everything you need is right there.

Hmmm.... Sounds like a pretty good plan!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Michelle and Annie - That is really a good idea! For those of you that bake a lot can you tell us if there is a reason measuring out and storing dry ingredients in advance might not work?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
festive fun- All the kudos go to you, girlfriend! I never would have thought of measuring stuff out for cooking sessions!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
festive fun-

I've been thinking about your sessions cooking idea. And came up with something that could be used in the community for families with children or anyone who enjoys baking but may not have the financial means to bake at the holidays.

Instead of giving already made cookies- what about putting together a box of the ingredients needed (measured out), and the recipe for the cookie to be made with the ingredients.

This would be a great project at a school- I think kids would really like it!

That way, you're creating a memory of baking at the holidays for the family.

The only way to do it, though, is to deliver the boxes because some of the cold ingredients would have to be kept from spoilage.

This has me thinking though......

Annie