Basket of Books

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Every year I put a basket in the living room and fill it with my kids' Christmas books (I do the same thing with Halloween and Thanksgiving books). This year I decided to make a basket for myself too. I have some great adult Christmas books, not to mention all the vintage holiday books my mom picks up for me at flea markets and antique shops. I never get around to reading them because I forget about them since they're tucked into bookshelves all over my house, but I decided if they're in a basket right near my couch, it'll be more likely that I'll pick one up and read it. I may even put my holiday movies out too, so we don't forget about any, as they're all in the closet right now. We have built up quite a collection.

:rudolph:

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Love this idea! I am an avid reader and DS loves to be read to as well. Can't wait to go through our shelves for holiday favorites.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I agree, great idea. I'm a big reader and Samuel loves to be read to as well, and Addison is only 15 months and loves to look at books and read to!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We do this too, I also keep a seasonal throw tucked in there (it is a large handle IKEA basket). My boys love curling up to have me read to them.

I do not have one for me though... would love something in my room by the reading chair!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I've been putting my Christmas books in a basket by the fireplace for years. I try to read something from them every night between Thanksgiving and Christmas. One of my favorite memories is rocking in the rocking chair as therapy after my knee replacement, and my husband reading to me from these books to distract me from the pain. The pain doesn't make me smile when I remember it, but my husband's love and support certainly does!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I also put out Christmas books at Christmas. My Gooseberry patch cookbooks are out year round in a wicker basket. People constantly look thru them. Anytime we go to a flea market, rummage sale or the like I look for Christmas books.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I love to do this with my books as well, nothing like a good book, cup of tea and a wintry afternoon. ~ Farmerswife

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
I'm like you Debbie-more movies than books. Since my girls are older teens we enjoy movie night with popcorn and cocoa or cider. I do still put out their classic Goldenbooks of Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town as part of my decor in the Retro Christmas room (Family room).
When they see them they usually pick them up flippping through them and say I remember this!
:grin:

tracyann

MHH Member
Oct 24, 2007
I love this idea! I don't have very many Christmas books, but I could put out the few I have. I'll have to look through my kids books to see if they have any Christmas ones left. I know there's a couple that I use to read to them when they were younger that have become favorites of mine and i'm sure if I put them out where the kids could see them, they'd pick them up and look at them also. Great idea! :smile:

oimom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Savannah GA
I used to put my books out on my coffee table.I no longer have a table.What a great idea I wondered what to do with them.

One of my sisters shoe boxes are the perfect width to hold DVD's and I put the current watching DVD's in that box and place it on top of the TV for the kids to use. It saves me from having to reorganize ALL the DVD's after they are done moving them around. The box is a nice Blue so I don't really have to decorate it...hehe

Maybe I will go on the hunt (in my house) for a nice basket/box/container to house some Christmas DVD's for my room!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We currently have dozens of books in 2 baskets in our LR for the kids to read. I think I will definitely put a basket out of only Christmas/Holiday books for us to read each night from Thanksgiving to Christmas. We certainly have a lot of them. (Children's books are one of my passions.) The funny thing is, I put out the seasonal books in my classroom, but don't make them "special" at home.

Blessings,
Lisa

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I find it hard-but I'm trying not to buy as many children's books as there are so many great choices available at our library and I like to rotate the choices for the kids; so if I'm getting them from the library we don't have to find a storage place for them!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Love this... going to hunt up a basket & pull out all those Christmas books! Often I'll pick them up during the year to save for November, December & January, only to forget about most that are tucked away. Anyone want to share some of their favorites... would enjoy adding a few to my basket! The vintage ones java elf mentioned sound delightful.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
DS and I dug out the Christmas books for us to read starting the day after Thanksgiving. We have 24 books, so I am going to pick up a few more from this month's book order and we will be set.

Blessings,
Lisa

santamama

MHH Member
Love this idea? Does anyone know of any books for DS8? DD5 loves to read and I got some books on her level, but not his. :confused: