Best Finds/Bargains - Christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I thought it would be good time to start a thread to share upcoming sales that we hear about since Black Friday will look different this year. Three of the bigger stores have announced that they are running sales in a few weeks.

Amazon - Prime Days - Tuesday Oct. 13th and Wednesday Oct. 14th
Walmart - Big Save Event - Beginning at 11 AM on Sunday Oct. 11th through Thursday Oct. 15th
Target - Deal Days - Tuesday Oct. 13th and Wednesday Oct. 14th

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Target will also be running BF sales all Nov long with different weekly door buster sales. They will also price match their own sale prices so if you buy something in Nov and they offer it cheaper in Dec bring in your receipt and they will refund the difference.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Small Business Saturday, Nov. 28, 2020. Don't forget to patronize your local small businesses whenever possible.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was looking online at Target and put an item in my basket. It alerted me that with my Red Card I will get free shipping on October 21st and 22nd. I thought if some of you are considering ordering something from Target, you might want to wait until then. They may have free shipping now with a minimum purchase. I don't know.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Mary, I don't use it and was going to look at it yesterday, but got side tracked and never got back to it. I'll go check it out now.

Edit: So, evidently, I am signed up. I forgot because I don't get to go often to Target - 50 miles away in Monroe. I suppose if you shopped a lot there, it would add up. I have .71 to use right now, so nothing to brag about, but every little helps!

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, I don't use it and was going to look at it yesterday, but got side tracked and never got back to it. I'll go check it out now.

Edit: So, evidently, I am signed up. I forgot because I don't get to go often to Target - 50 miles away in Monroe. I suppose if you shopped a lot there, it would add up. I have .71 to use right now, so nothing to brag about, but every little helps!
Thanks! I think I'll add that to my ever growing list to do for this year's shopping prep.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Target will also be running BF sales all Nov long with different weekly door buster sales. They will also price match their own sale prices so if you buy something in Nov and they offer it cheaper in Dec bring in your receipt and they will refund the difference.

Thanks for that info!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just wanted to pass along some "food for thought" since many of us will be doing more online shopping than in previous years. Please remember to do a little digging before signing up for special apps and other discount coupon codes, etc., and make sure that the site / app is legitimate and reputable, and not an overseas seller / reseller that may compromise your information. There is one fairly well-known discounter / rebate site that, when you dig a little, you will find that they are now Japanese-owned. So, while you can get a better price by funneling your order through them, they are not only making a profit from the American-based retailer, they are harvesting your information (including credit card / payment details) overseas. Not accusing them of any impropriety, and I haven't used this site since I found out about the non-US ownership, but they are not bound by the same laws we have in the US. In another group I belong to, several have posted that they made purchases [of canning supplies that have been in short supply all summer], thinking they were buying directly from the company. But, instead, they were buying from a site that was using a slight variation of the company's name. IF they got their order, many reported that they received counterfeit goods shipped from China. And several never received the product at all, being told the order was held up in customs, check back in another month, and on and on it went. Just use extra caution this year, please.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
In another group I belong to, several have posted that they made purchases [of canning supplies that have been in short supply all summer], thinking they were buying directly from the company. But, instead, they were buying from a site that was using a slight variation of the company's name.
This makes me so :mad:. I saw something similar happen in the spring when there was a high demand for pulse oximeters and thermometers. Someone bought a website name where they swapped out the "m" and replaced it with "nn."

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This makes me so :mad:. I saw something similar happen in the spring when there was a high demand for pulse oximeters and thermometers. Someone bought a website name where they swapped out the "m" and replaced it with "nn."

Those things can be hard to spot because we look at them so quickly. Another give away is the wording and spelling in the descriptions. You can’t trust the ratings either because the crooks pad the reviews with glowing recommendations. It’s all very frustrating.

Reactions: missjane

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Has anyone looked at Amazon today? Any good finds?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I got a Chocolate Cook Book. DS, our computer maven, said the kindle upgrade is good if you want or need one.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
What I wanted to order (and held off ordering last week, knowing Prime Day was coming up) is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for Prime Delivery. Need it by the 21st and earliest delivery window is the week of Nov. 3 -- unless I pay for priority shipping. Argh!!!! Had I known this would happen due to Prime Day, I would have ordered last week, when I could get it next day. Not happy with Amazon right now!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Okay, I didn't want to be the first naysayer. Your sentiments are pretty much mine, too. Not impressed.

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got two things for my dc that happened to be on sale and sitting in the Amazon To Buy Wish List. I wasn't thinking that it would be on sale. I was pleasantly surprised.

I just bought two pair of wool socks from Darn Tough Vermont's online store. These socks were on my dc's list. I've never seen them on sale online. They were offering free shipping today if you buy two or more pairs of socks. They are not cheap but our family really like them for hiking and dealing with all kinds of weather. We became big fans when we hiked for 5 days in Yosemite last year and never had a blister.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm going to try to be ahead of the Amazon shenanigans. DH found a great Amazon deal on Lodge Cast Iron but it was a link from a magazine article and could not be found through Amazon search. Also just ordered a Pour Over Coffee kettle that I had in my list from 2 Christmas' back. Same with the handheld coffee grinder. For camping. On sale right now.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I looked online yesterday at both Target and Walmart. Most featured items were $10-20 less than normal price. Good prices on a lot of electronics, but if they're calling this early Black Friday, I think they're going to have to up their game. :rolleyes::confused: I'm not liking this new way of having to shop. :(