Best version of A Christmas Carol on DVD???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I couldn't figure out where to post this! I will be using the item for a Christmas countdown/Elf gift so I thought this board might work :confused: :haha: .

What in your opinion is the BEST movie of A Christmas Carol? I would love to buy one on dvd, but have only watched them on t.v. I can't remember which is which. I am looking for a live action version that is family friendly. I LOVE Patrick Stewart, but his version (which I DO remember) is pretty dark for my 4 year old to watch. My brother always loved the version with Alastair somebody in it.

I'm all set with finding the Polar Express, Miracle on 34th Street and The Santa Clause, but this one has me searching quite a bit.

TIA,

Bren :flower:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
It really depends who you are giving it to. My son would tell you Muppet Christmas Carol is the very best. I would say the best version is the 1951 black and white version starring Alastair Sim. :snow:

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Alastair Sim! Thank you! His name was on the tip of my tongue. The dvd will be for my family...DH, myself and the kids, 11, 8 and 5 by next Christmas. I like the Muppet version and the Mickey Mouse one as well, but wanted something with live people. My BIL LOVES all the Muppet movies (and the show from the 70's/80's). My kids like Kermit, but aren't into the whole Muppet clan.

Thank you for your input. I'll put Alastair Sim's version on my list for sure...I know my brother loved it and now I have a vote from you as well :grouphug: .

Bren :jumpinghearts:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We like an adaptation called An American Christmas Carol starring Henry Winkler. It takes place during the Great Depression. We have it and the George C. Scott version on VHS, but would love to get them on DVD soon.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I also like the Muppets and the old bl & wh one ... but there is a musical one I like ... with Albert Finney. Some don't care for it, but I like musicals and it's ok.
::eek:rnament:

Speaking of Christmas Movies,,, My husband and I decided to watch It's a Wonderful Life together and be thankful that we have each other. We made hot chocolate and a snack....then we snuggled up together to watch the movie. A nice quiet, romantic night at home. I am not sure what Christmas movie we will watch toghether 2008. I would like to make it a yearly happening.

So many versions- each with something a little different to offer....
For a pretty straightforward telling of the story, I like the Alistair Sim and Patrick Stewart versions. The one I loved best in my childhood and still love, is the Albert Finney musical version- and for sheer enjoyment and 'must watch' each year, I love the Muppet version.
It'll be interesting to see what Jim Carrey does with it!
It's one of those stories I can never get tired of.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Hands down, my favorite is the 1951 version with Alister (s?) Sims, next favorite is the George C. Scott movie. For a different version - my aboslute favorite is the Lifetime movie "Ebbie". I wish that they would release that one on DVD.

Eddie

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
That website said the release day was November 6, 2009. So another nearly 2 years.

But Colin Firth in going to be in it!!! I just adore him! And Robin Wright Penn!!!! And Sirius Black!!!! (Sorry, Gary Oldman!! :haha: ) And Bob Hoskins! What a cast!

Thanks for this info--something to look forward to!

I just watched most of George C. Scott's version in December when I was subbing in a Reading classroom and it was pretty good. I've never seen Alastair Sim's version, but I've heard it's the best. And of course I love the Muppets and Mickey Mouse!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Thank you all so much for your input :applause: ! You were supposed to help me narrow down my choices....not expand them :rotflol: . I think I am leaning towards the Alistair Sim's or George C. Scott versions.

I might ask my brother for his input. He & his ex-wife LOVED A Christmas Carol & I think they had all the different movies. I was sorta' avoiding the topic with him....they divorced two years ago & it was a collection they enjoyed together (Dept. 56, plates, figurines, you name it!). I didn't want to bring up sad thoughts. I never was sure who was collecting either....it may have been more HER collection. They would have both LOVED this board. Sadly, they both have left the Christmas magic behind.

I am curious to see the Jim Carrey version. It would be great to take the kids to see. They LOVED him in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Keep the movie "reviews" coming in :grin: ! This has been a very fun thread. It's interesting to see everyone's preferences.

Bren :jumpinghearts:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
My favorite is Patrick Stewart but I am looking forward to Jim Carrey's Version. My DD4 liked Flinstones that we got at the library- I have added Muppets to my requests and a Looney Tunes one. Sorry not much help I know

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I love the version starring Patrick Stewart. :grin: