birthday party for 8 year old girl

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
So how much to you budget for a birthday party?

DD and I have decided to do an American Girl Doll Theme. This is fine, but I looked on the website and their stuff is about fifty dollars for the eight little girls and their dolls. This includes decorations, invitations, craft supplies (one for each girl and one for each doll) and thank yous. :thud:
And I thought about it, and am thinking I would probably spend close to that amount if I bought it all seperate.

Just wondered if you have a budget and how much it would be. Thanks for your input. Oh yeah- suggestions on ideas and such are most welcome!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
HI,

I don't usually have a budget, but I buy all I can on sale/clearance or at the Dollar stores. I always start planning Bday parties several months in advance so I can pick up deals here & there. Here is what I did for my DD American Girl sleepover party when my she was 9:
http://209.15.117.162/html/sleepover_parties_11.html

Any questions, just post here or PM me. We LOVE the American Girl dolls (DD10 and myself) & I belong to an AG board as well. LOTS of fun :jumpinghearts:!

Bren :love:

P.S. The prices on the party sets are clearance ones at the AG site. They really are a bargain if you like the themes they have available. They have doll size Birthday tiaras w/ doll party favors....$7.00 for a set of eight. I have these and they are CUTE :lovestruck:
http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/ht ... roupId/556

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
The party sets with American Girl are worth it in my opinion. A neighbor used one last year for her daughter and we were really impressed with what it included and the quality for the price. When I figure in the time and energy of collecting or making everything myself, it's a no brainer for me. My DD will turn 9 in the spring and we were thinking of doing one also.

I don't really set a budget per se, but do I tell my kids if they choose to have a party, their gift from mom & dad won't be as big because the party will use up our budget for their gifts. If they've wanted something bigger, they opt for the gift rather than a party.

Last year I implemented another plan. I was tired of all the toys! Between Christmas & birthdays, we were overrun and then add a birthday party with 8-10 guests!!! So, now instead of gifts from their guests, we write on the invitation to bring a donation to a charity my child picks instead of gifts. DD has already chosen an animal rescue and is asking for dog toys, towels, detergent, and dog treats. If they do this, I will pay for a nice party and also give them the birthday gift(s) they would receive if they didn't have a party.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I should have entitled this for a 9 year old, that is what she is turning (guess I am in denial! lol) But I liked the ideas you gave, thank you so much! I LOVE the idea about the charity and I really like the game ideas for the party - being about the time periods for each girl. I love history so I like that idea very much, our theme last year was science projects, so if we do history this year that would be cool! Yes, I am the mom who is likely to give out toothbrushes at Halloween and incorporate education into a birthday party (but it is masked by being fun!) ;-) Thank you!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I'm with you, ChristmasCheerSpredr! I always seems to try and incorporate something educational too. But like you said, when it's masked by fun, all the better!

Bren, I didn't get a chance to look at your link before. What great ideas! I just might borrow some for my DD bday in April!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
ChristmasCheerSpredr said:
what's an AG board? There is a forum for American Girl addicts parents? lol

Sort of :rotflol: . It is for people who have kids who love American Girl, and adult collectors as well. It's a very warm, friendly group :grouphug: . How can you collect dolls and not be a fun person :flower: ?

Check it out:
http://agfansboard.proboards56.com/index.cgi?

Bren :lovestruck:

P.S. I'm Bren on that board too. (Hello, my name is Bren and my daughter loves dolls....and so do I "heartstrings: .)

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
thanks for the link Bren! I will check it out. Since my girls are into the dolls, I find myself enjoying that stuff too. I guess because I watch how happy and excited they get when they recieve something that is American Girl. :lovestruck:

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I did an American Girl slummber party for my dd when she turned 8. I did a Molly Mystery game party. The game cost about $15 and that was it. The game came with invitations to send out. Each person was asigned a person to be from the story/game. The story/game was set at Halloween time (someone stole the treats) so I decorated for Halloween and made "trick-or-treat" goodie bag for the girls to take home. The girls had to read scripts for their person and act out the story to solve the mystery. The girls had a lot of fun.
:party:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My budget plan is to keep it WAY under $175, which is where all the previous year's "big parties" have come in -- you know, the one at Bouncy Houses and such. The cost-creep in the birthday industry has been a real challenge to keep up with!
I'm doing this year's party at home but don't see how I'm going to save any money once all is said and done. (I'm online about to post for my own problem with my own 8 yr old's birthday. I'll be posting that next.) I too have told my daughter (who comes up with a million expensive ideas a minute) that the more we spend on the party, the smaller her gift will be. That really seems to help keep her in check. I haven't gone the way of donating her gifts to charity (though that has always impressed me), but I'm also tired of all the toys that she doesn't play with. If parents ask me what to bring her, I will be saying books, play dates, etc. I skated this year on the American Girl. She's not into it, thank goodness! Likes baby dolls more. Yay!!

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I am shocked at the sticker price of birthday parties for kids also! We have only three options in our area. bowling- 80.00 minimum, roller skating- 110.00 minimum- and Mc donald's 70 minimum

So we have home parties