Bonfire Night

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Here's a link to what it is-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
I only heard about it about 10 years ago from a Newfoundland friend. I thought it would be a good opportunity to clean up the deadwood in our local park but i'm not quite up to that organizational challenge this year! The Bonfire would be fun! :D

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't mean to put a damper on your fun but I just want to say pleeeease be careful when you do this. A few years ago at a college football pep rally they held one and some how the logs fell down causing injuries.

Have fun but be careful.

I LOVE bonfire night! We only have to wait a couple more weeks- yaaay! :pink:

On the Saturday nearest to Bonfire Night (Guy Fawlkes Night- it's the same thing but strictly speaking the second is the correct name), which is the 5th of November, we go to a local firework display. There are refreshments, (the usual traditional stuff- soup & hot chocolate, etc) a barbecue area for hot dogs and burgers and the annual Guy competition.

The huge bonfire in the arena is lit and the winner of the guy competition announced. All the guys are then thrown onto the bonfire (by the stewards of course!) and once the blaze dies down a bit, the firework display to music begins. It really is fantastic!

We only go to this organised one- much safer and this one, although spectacular- is free! Fireworks are so expensive!

We're hoping to enter the Guy competition this year. For those who don't know, a guy is a figure made of old clothes, etc (a bit like a floppy scarecrow I suppose!). It represents (not surprisingly) Guy Fawlkes.
Around this time, some kids make guys and sit outside some shops or in public places with them and ask "Penny for the Guy." They are given money by passers by. I only give money if they've obviously made an effort- and only if it's at the right time. Some kids try their luck weeks early! I saw one pair of boys a couple of years back who took turns wearing a mask and sitting on the ground very still while the other asled for Penny for the Guy! Sneaky!

Know the rhyme?

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot.

This is one of our favourite family outings each year- I love it!

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I live in College Station Texas where the bonfire fell. Several students were Killed it took almost a week to dig them all out. And the fire was never lit.
That being said you must take into consideration the size of our bonfire it was the largest bonfire in the world, they began building it three months before they burned it. they sprayed it with a tanker truck full of jet fuel. I watched them do this for years it was held 3 blocks from my house. I doubt that the bonfires used to celebrate the holidays are going to be of that magnitude. Ours was 5 stories tall. And now the students are holding the bonfires off campus unsupervised. but they are no longer the size they were.
We always had great fun at the bonfires and I am sure that you will have fun at yours.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Frog Princess-Thanks so much for the insight! I had never even heard of this until about 10 years ago when I worked with a girl from Newfoundland. Sounds like wonderful fun!
You are all right, though! Safety first!
DebbieGall-thanks for clarifying the magnitude of that tradgedy. Terrible.
Our 'bonfire' will be more of a campfire!

Iluvsantasandsnowmen

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2007
In the state of confusion still...
Hey!! we have had Bonfire's across the street on my SIL's property for probably 10 years. We had the first when when my MIL passed away, Then when a dear BIL passed way about 6 years ago then 5 years ago when my son was killed he was 18.
Now we have one every New Year's eve. MY 2 boys will go get Trees from the recycling center the first year they did that they got caught and the cop asked them what they were doing and they told him!! So he said take as many as you want!! Laughing and thery told him to stop by.
We invite anybody and everybody. but most often it's just the same people. And Speckles our dog loves it cuz she gets to go for rides on the 4 wheeler.
OH yeah A lot of us savbe all of our magazines and trhow them into!!
It's lots of fun!! :bigsnow:
But we are careful!! later on we will get sticks and roast hotdogs and marshmallows!!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We have a bonfire on New year's Eve, as someone else mentioned. The kids, especially my younger one, love it and are really looking forward to it this year.