Books as Gifts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
One of my favorite gifts to give & RECEIVE are books. I'm lucky to have several avid readers on my gift list each year. So, I always up for discussing which ones are on everyones list. Feel free to share favorite books or authors, which books you'd love to receive & plan to give or anything else having to do with books as gifts (like places to find great deals or hard to find titles, if you give books you've read or give ones you're unfamiliar with).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I love to give & receive books too.

So far I have for DD - the big christmas book of gifts from the kitchen & the 'potato book' for DS. I also have a small book on the birth of Jesus for dniece and a book on christmas ****tails for dnephew.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
My son's girlfriend has a couple of books on her list that are out of print. At least I think they are because on Amazon they are only available used. Are there other sites out there to find books that are no longer in print?

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Sometimes you can get used books that are like new and they're in terrific shape.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Books A Million is one of the book stores I like to visit when we go to our sons...They sale used books too, if you have one close to you it would be well worth a visit..

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I also give lots of books as gifts. Right now I am trying to find books for preteens (both boys and girls). Most recently I have given books by:

Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted, Fairest, etc.)
Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson & the Olympians series)
John Flanagan (Ranger's Apprentice series)
Lucy M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables series)
Markus Zusak (The Book Thief)

I am trying to stay away from vampires, etc. I'm not sure what their parents' view on those types of books are so I just avoid them. They've all read Harry Potter & the Tales of Narnia.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
There is a Warriers series by Erin Hunter that the boys in the 6th gr class were reading. It's about cats that have their own clans and battle b/n each other. just discovered books that, i think, are by the same author that are about Bears.

Also the 29 clues series is supposed to be good and it come w/ trading cards and interative stuff for the computer

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I always ask for Books for Christmas. It's something I would like, but not spend money on myself, so I always add them to my Wish list for people.

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
How about the Hunger Games series...the final book of the trilogy just came out and it was SO good.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have always loved to read! It was great when I worked in a Christian bookstore, because I could read for free! lol My favorite author is Max Lucado. I have all of his adult books, and a few of the children's books.

I love to give books as gifts for Christmas, especially to the grandchildren. Not all of them like to read, unfortunately. The two youngest LOVE reading, so they are getting a few for a gift this year. I will buy them anywhere I can find them. Our local grocery store has had them on sale recently: a great big cardboard dump of them. Recently they have gone to 90% off. I usually give Sweetie a book about landscaping, and found one at the store the other evening: a $20 book cost me 60 cents! Woo hoo!

My youngest DS works for the same people that I use to work for, and he will get me the newest Max book. Sometimes he can get a freebie for me, and I have a couple that have been autographed by Pastor Max. LOVE his work.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We just purchased a set of 10 young reader books (hardcover 1960's classic stories), plus a set of 20 classics (hardcover) for 6.00 from the library :)

Each book has multiple stories, poems and plays.
Our little library often has great books for sale, outdated hardcovers - all in very good condition.

I have also had success finding some books at kijiji if I know the title or author I am looking for.

Browsing for 'hidden treasure' books I find the most luck at second hand book stores, or library sales.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
my Previous post was for Collen for the prteen boys.
I like a lot of different but tend to read Myster books. I really like Ted Dekker book, twist ending but can be really havy sometimes. I am reading the Chocolate Chip Cookie murder, it's the second in her books, cute books.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Love books and luckily my family does too. We always have a running list of books that we want to order from the library. This year for DD and I starting to get her the classics. i have ordered To Kill a Mockingbird, and I will get her others such as Little Woman and Anne of Green Gables.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
When we went to visit my DS & DDIL my DGD picked up Black Beauty she's been reading it & loving it...

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
piratemamaof3boys - thank you for the recommendations! I will check out the Warriors series the next time I'm in Borders (I wrote it in my little HGP NB that I keep in my purse!)

holidaymama - I loved the Hunger Games trilogy - just finished Mockingjay yesterday. The girls on my list don't like "dark stuff" - their words and I'm not sure if my nephew would give it a chance once he realizes they revolve around a 16yr old girl...girls are still "Yucky" - at least that's what he says to me! LOL!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm coming back to this topic, because it's kind of fitting this week. When I was young, one of the memories I've kept of my grandparents was them buying me books all the time. They'd buy me very expensive series. National geographics and even a Kodak series when I was a teen taking photography. Well my daughter is now 15, taking her 1st photography class and when she was asking me about light and creative stuff her first few days I pulled those books out. They might not be digital based, but they have all the basic of what makes a good photo. I'm 40+ and I"ve contiplated many times, getting rid of them, but just couldn't. Now I'm glad I didn't. One of them even had the actual invoice for that particular book, taped inside the cover and marked as paid! That was 1984!

I think gift books are awesome. At one point, I asked for the Michael Jordan book, years ago. Now I"m just an old housewife, but growing up Michael Jordan was the king of basketball. It's fun to go back and look at those books and go down memory lane.

Also have one of Trading Spaces. Doesn't mean much now, but for a novice Interior Decorator, that show was a huge hit and a ton of fun.

My point, it's all about the memories. They might not get looked at for 5 or 10 years, but when they do...it can warm the heart and bring a smile!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Its so nice to be among book lovers! I'll admit that when I'm at the bookstore to browse for gifts, I often end up shopping for myself. So, I could use all the advice I can get. I definitely need a list to keep me on track.

I hate to take the surprise out of gift giving, but I do ask what books/authors they'd like as gifts. I try to hint that I'm thinking about gift shopping or wonder what they're reading. Sometimes I'll get a few suggestions, but usually I simply stumble across something that seems like a good choice.

I'd love to share some of my recent favorites, but not sure they'd be a good fit for those on my gift list. Any thoughts on this?

I jumped over to Books A Million to check the ones Colleen mentioned, but my nephew's a little young for them yet. However, there appears to be a great deal on Percy Jackson series 1-3. Here's a link:
http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781423113492?id=4832773947278

I'm going to make a few notes for my next trip to the bookstore & see what I can find.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I jumped over to Books A Million to check the ones Colleen mentioned, but my nephew's a little young for them yet.

Appleton - How old is your nephew? I can probably recommend something more age appropriate. My default gift for the kids on my list is ALWAYS books. Also, I think sharing some of your favorite books with people on your list is a wonderful idea - be sure to include a handwritten note explaining why you like the book &/or offer to "discuss" it with them (Book club style) once they've finished it!

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I always, always add in a hand written note in the front cover. My mom always did, so I do the same. I often do it with gifts as well.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I think adding a note is a wonderful thought! Thanks for the suggestion! Now, to look over my book list & see what will work for gifts.

My nephew is 9, but isn't really into reading. I try to pick "easier" ones so he can enjoy them instead of struggling & giving up. He has some trouble with school & we're trying to encourage him to read more. Looking for light, entertaining but good books. KWIM

Oh, I found several other book sets online at Books A Million in the bargain section under "children" (young adults? some were for 10-14 & 12-17 I think). These looked really nice at excellent prices. Could make a really nice gift.