Breakfast on the go

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. I thought there had been a post on this before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm looking for ideas for breakfasts that can be taken out the door and eaten on the way. My husband never has time to eat breakfast in the morning and I'm always struggling to come up with things to send with him. I'm sure there are lots of moms out there who run into this with their kids too, especially teens.

I pretty much stick to muffins, cinnamon rolls (nutritional huh? lol), and egg sandwiches. Bagels with cream cheese are another quick fix.

Does anyone have any good ideas for breakfasts to eat on the go?

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Well, this kind of falls into the "bagels and cream cheese" category. But we usually fix a bagel with cream cheese and put some sliced turkey in the middle. Kind of like a bagel sandwich. I can get these ready in the night before and put them in a baggie in the fridge to grab just as we are going out the door. The kids like them with PB&J too.

I hope you get some better ideas - I'm going to stay tuned, because I need them too.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My husband often has the same problem, he will often drink his breakfast (greens breakfast shake), grab a banana and ELEV8Me™ Bar on is rushed mornings. By lunch he is able to sit down (usually) and grab a more substational meal.

ELEV8Me™ Bars are really good :flower: My boys all like them!

That combo works for him, high protein, complex carbs and no "crash" before lunch. He will also grab a thermos of green tea for the road.

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I am the queen of eating in the car. My choices:

Bagels
Granola bars
Bananas (Take the newspaper sleeve for the peel. Tie it in a knot so the car
doesn't smell).
Grapes
Cereal and milk in a large plastic cup
Pop Tarts

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I sometimes make my DS a batch of Apple Crisp with a nut and oatmeal topping. This is easy to make the night before and reheat in the morning and he takes it to the bus stop in a paper cup with a plastic spoon. (There's a trash can at the bus stop). I use Splenda so he doesn't get a sugar overload first thing in the morning and sometimes add dates or raisins to the fresh apples.

Another option is a "breakfast cooky" made with wheat germ, raisins, dates, oatmeal, nuts and coconut. I also add applesauce for some of the butter required. We also call these "ANTI-IRREGULARITY COOKIES" because they take care of what might ail you.

Also, I have a simple recipe for a "pastry" from the King Arthur baking cookbook. It's called a ROLY-POLY. The crust is a cross between a biscuit and pastry and you roll it out, fill it with berries, a little sugar and spices, seal it up jellyroll style and bake. I don't see why you couldn't make it with pre-baked fresh apples.

I'll send the recipes in the next post......

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
BREAKFAST COOKY

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

~3/4 cup butter flavor crisco or softened margarine
~1/2 cup applesauce
~2/3 cup sugar
~2/3 cup brown sugar
~1/4 cup honey ***Adjust sweeteners to your desire
~1 egg
~1/4 cup milk
~1 teas. vanilla
~2 1/2 cup flour
~1 teas. baking soda
~1/2 teas. salt
~1 cup quick cooking oats (Not instant or old fashioned)
~1 cup flake coconut
~1 cup raisins (or half raisins and half chopped dates)
~1/2 cup walnut pieces
~1/2 cup wheat germ

>>>Cream together the shortening (margarine), sugars, honey, egg, milk and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients. Stir in other ingredients. If batter seems to gooey (wet) you can add extra flour or dry powdered milk works great.
Drop by rouded spoonfuls onto greased cooky sheet and bake 11-12 min. for soft cookies and 13-14 min. for crisp cookies. Remove to cooling rack. Makes about 6 dozen.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
RASPBERRY ROLY-POLY

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Pastry Dough:
~2 cups flour
~2 teas. baking powder
~1 teas. salt
~1/2 cup softened butter, margarine or shortening
~4-6 Tables. cold water

***Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the fat like you would making biscuits or pie crust, until it looks like coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle water over flour mixture and gently mix in. Gently knead the dough on a floured board until fairly smooth. Roll dough out to a 9x12 inch rectangle and about 1/4 inch thick.
Spread the surface with 2 Tables.melted butter leaving inch around the outside clean.

FILLING:
~2 cups raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries
~1/4 cup sugar
~1/4 teas. ground cinnamon

***Spread berries down the middle of the dough and sprinkle with sugar and spice.
Roll dough lengthwise jellyroll fashion. MOisten the edges and seal. Place onto a greased cooky sheet and bake for 30 min.
If you make this as a dessert, you can top it with whipped cream.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
ooh, those sound good! I think my husband might like the roly-poky if I did it with blueberries. I would try it with apples too. :grin:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Umm...I made the roly-poly and I must have done something wrong. I took it out after 30 minutes and the ends were done but the middle was still doughy. I gave it another 20 minutes and it still didn't cook so I took it out and sliced it and put the pieces back in for another 20 minutes to cook. They were still doughy. I gave them another 20 minutes, but by then the outer parts were burning and the inside dough was the consistency of playdough. I ended up having to throw it all out other than the two end pieces. Can't figure out how I messed it up. :frown:

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Oh Frosty...
I'm sorry it didn't turn out for you!!
I made it with raspberries and it was great! I served it for dessert with company once, and we put vanilla ice cream on top and it was yummy. Now, I brushed the top with egg wash and sprinkled raw sugar on top to make it prettier and mine had a crunchy top, and baked all the way thru. It sounds like maybe yours was too thick if it didn't bake all the way thru the middle..?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
No worries, I'm sure it was my error!
I'm thinking it may have been too thick. Also the blueberries I had were giant, so there might have been too much juice added to the mix when they split in the baking process. The entire pan was about 1/4-inch thick with blueberry juice when I took it out of the oven.
It's also been so humid here that several recipes I make all the time seem to be experiencing meltdown. lol.
I will try the cookies once I figure out where to get some wheat germ around here. :grin:

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
In the grocery stores, I always find the wheat germ by where they sell cereal and oatmeal.
It comes in a jar and some people eat it like Wheat Nuts cereal.