Budgets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
What type of system do you use when you budget for the holidays?
Do you use envelopes, or a checklist for each person.
I try to use the envelope system for each person. I also plan ahead for how much I will spend on each person.
Please share your ideas. :frosty:

3-Little-Elves

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
I have a list of everyone I need to buy for and I put what my amount is for each person. I usually have my list done by June, and then I can start to shop. :package: Most of the time I am under, but a few times, I have gone over what I want to spend.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I just sort of wing it (guilty). We don't buy too much, keep within a "reasonable" amount :huh: always cash no credit. Besides that.... I don't know! :slap:

This year I had all the cousins (ages 14-31) draw names for secret santa on Christmas in July.

I plan on making freezer meals of ziti or lasagne for my Aunts and Uncles that are local. Plus for my grandfather I will make an extra pot of sauce wrapped up in individual serving freezer bags. I think this will be more enjoyed then a gift from a store (they don't do much cooking).

The kids I spend approximately ten dollars each. Since I have 3 kids and my cousins have 1 and 2 kids I will spend enough to equal up to about 30 dollars since they are probably spending at least that amount on my kids. My niece and nephew-well let's just say I spoil them. This is the first Christmas for my nephew and 2nd for my niece. I am ordering them Magic Elves to join in on our new family tradition and then some other gifts.

Then there's my mom,dad, brothers, sisters, brother-in-law, and my 3 beautiful boys. The list always feels endless!!!

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
I had every intention of using the envelope system. DH, however, is more into just winging it...I'm determined to convert him next year. I was thinking of keeping envelopes for each person. When their Bday arrives, we will buy their Bday gift and put their CHristmas money budgeted into their envelope. We'll see if I win this time...lol :huh:

SharJMW

MHH Member
Oct 21, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have a dollar amount in mind for each person as well as a budget for holiday spending. I make a list and record what I have bought for each person. I usually buy items throughout the year. This year, I am giving gift bags to my siblings. It will be things like a bottle of champagne for New Year's, maple syrup, bath and body handsoap, etc.

Shar

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I really need to take time to figure out how much I spend at Christmas. It's not something I've ever done. I couldn't really say exactly how much I spend.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Each time I pick up a gift for someone I write the gift and price down on the master gift list I printed from OrganizedChristmas.

Then when I get a chance I go to my list which contains recipient's name, gift idea(s), amount for each person, amount actually spent for gift, and difference (save/over) amount. Some people's gift may be a few dollars more, some may be less than what I designated to spend on them.

At the end of the year I can see if I went over or stayed at/or below my budget.

CrysZ

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Northeast PA
I make up a list with a few gift ideas for each person and a set dollar amount. I shop throughout the year for the best deals which helps to keep me within my budget. :jack:

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I have a list I keep on the computer. I do keep money in an envelope for the Day After Thanksgiving, in fact this week I will start saving and putting away into that for the wonderful day! ! ! I am usually done shopping by that day for most people on my list but like to get other stuff that day like things to put on top of gifts or whatever I see in the ads thats a steal.

DH has gotten into the spirit of that day - he is excited about buying a pallet of water softener salt at TSC - its not gifts but its a start getting him trained (lol)