Can we talk about "Church" cookbooks???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So...is it just me? Or do you love a good "church" cookbook? You know the kind - something put out by a local church or club or organization. Like Junior Achievement League, Junior League, Auxiliary Clubs, etc.

They are always spiral bound.

And you can usually always find them at thrift book stores.

I feel like these are the best cookbooks in a way. They may not have any pictures but they are full of recipes that were each contributed by a different person. A person that chose one of their BEST recipes to give to the cookbook.

I find a high percentage of recipes in these types of books that I make or have tagged to try making in the future. I tend to look for entertaining type recipes since we do so much or it - or attend so many things where you bring something to share.

I recently went to a large used book store in Chattanooga where I found 7 new ones! Just curious if anyone else is of this same opinion? If so, do you some favorites to share? What makes it a favorite?

Here is fun article about them!

Reactions: Minta and Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When DH and I would vacation, I wold always look for those types of cookbooks to take home as a souviner. If not in a thrift store, I'd look for regional cookbooks in stores that carried either housewares or souvenir-type goods. A good way to remember the trip and recreate some of our favorite recipes. (Just love the variety of pimento cheese recipes in my So. Carolina books picked up in Charleston, Hilton Head, and Savannah.)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have a few cookbooks like those and 3 of them are more than 50 years old. Two are from the area I grew up in and one was from where my mother grew up at. One belonged to my husband's grandmother and the other 2 originally belonged to my grandmothers before being passed down to me. There are recipes in them from my grandmothers and from one of my great grandmothers.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I love them!
Especially if the recipes tell a little story- how the recipe came to be, how it is important to that particular family.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So glad others enjoy these too! :)

I got a kick out of the book called The Great 2020 Pepin Pandemic Cookbook mentioned in the article I posted!

One of my all time favorites is a book compiled here in South Bend where I live - Its called Aspic and Old Lace:

The book moves through decade by decade with a summary of major historical events/influences, fashion and cooking trends, etc. It is great fun!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Lori K and luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a few! I kept the one's that my grandmother bought when she moved back to the area in the 1990's. I will use them to switch up menus. When I was assistant director of a preschool, we made one of those books for a fundraiser. Some recipes were contributed by the kids like how to make peanut butter and jelly. :D

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have a few. One from my DS kindergarten class, one from my church, and one from my school Band Boosters. The one from the Band Boosters has my Grandma's Tomato soup cake recipe in it. Have not tried it. I should make it for the family reunion next year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love local cookbooks because they have those recipes for foods I've enjoyed eating at local gatherings. People usually bring a food they're proud to serve. Then, when cookbook making comes around, their most complimented food/recipes usually end up in the cookbook!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
Yes I have a few too . I have some from my mom . She liked getting them and some of her recipes are in them too. I have also picked up a few from the thrift store..

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I’ve been trying to pick up local cookbooks from my travels, There is one series that compiles recipes from local cookbooks for each state and sells them as “the best of….”

• Love

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I love them, git all of my Christmas dinner recipes from them…. Tried snd true.. and “common” ingredients.
I also collect regional cookbooks when I travel.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I copied any recipes I wanted out of my cookbooks and sent them out of the house. Some I sent to my niece but marked any family recipes. Told her she could release anything she did not want to keep.