CC 2012 - Reality Check Week!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I brought a circular today to work that has table setting things in it so I can see what's on sale.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Everything is going well. I have my list planned - and will pick up two items each week in November. Mailing all the last Friday and finished!

Hoping for a good winter season. I think the 'worse case but I am planning for it' - is a snow/ice issue with the Christmas travel - will have all needed to stay home just in case!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm floundering a bit, but trying to pull it together this week. I feel like I am behind, but hopefully I just need to take stock!

Reality Check Week Assignments:

[ ] Replace Halloween with Thanksgiving decor

Will get Thanksgiving items out of attic on lunch today and have them available for easy access Thursday.

[ ] Divide Christmas Card list into five groups; Write/address 1/5th

DH suggested we do photo cards this year. We still need to decide on and take a photo. I'm planning to get a card through a service like Snapfish, etc. in the long narrow size, so a standard business envelope should fit.

I'm going to pick up the envelopes this week and work on addressing and maybe even decorating them with Christmas stamps...I wonder if places like Staples have business envelopes in colors other than white? Will have to check!

I will also try to pick out the design we'll order now, get DH's opinion, etc. To save time later!

I'm worried about this task since things are still so loosey goosey on the photo. :(

[ ] Make a Holiday Budget

Done! Have an Excel spreadsheet I'm keeping updated. The hard part is STICKING to the budget!

[ ] Make a Master Gift List; Begin shopping; Buy 1/5th this week

This is a hard one! The list is done, but due to cutting back on $ this year, the majority of gifts are hand made. I'm about half way through my list of crafts and trying like mad to get through the rest of the things I had planned.

I have plans to visit a co-worker who has generously offered to let me have some of her children's toys they outgrew - some things are like new and pretty valuable so I'll pay her something for those - but there will probably be some things she'll just let me have.

Any thing I am actually buying this year will come out of the lump sums I've budgeted in Nov and early Dec - so no buying this week. Just CRAFTING!!!

[ ] Set up Holiday Houseworks Plan

I'm still plugging away - SLOWLY - at the HGP. Hoping to get caught up some this weekend!

[ ] Print a Master Shopping List

In progress. Need to finish the list. Am also going to try and send it to my smartphone...

[ ] Family Wardrobe Check

Pending...

[ ] Inventory Gift Closet

Done, I think! Planning to reorganize the office closet this weekend so I'll find if I have any surprises in there...

[ ] Establish Good Health Habits

Trying...

[ ] Tabletop Check

Need to work on this. I've been keeping this pretty casual at parties lately and we don't host holiday events at our home...but I still need to double check certain things.

I did reorganize the storage area in the basement this summer so I have a good idea of where everything is! :)

[ ] Gift Wrapping Inventory

I still have a very healthy supply of wrap and ribbon. I have sample pieces of all of them snipped and in an envelope in my craft room for reference as I work on making gift tags. I need to pick back up with making those too! I would like to get another batch done over the next couple of weeks.

WHEW! So much!!! I'm not as bad off as I thought, I guess. Which is what I was hoping for if I stopped to actually go through everything! :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
[ ] After Halloween, replace decorations with Thanksgiving-themed decor.
* I don't have any Thanksgiving decorations but the Halloween will come down this week.

[ ] Divide the Christmas card list into five groups. Write and address one group this week.
* I need to find my Christmas Cards. I know I have at least one box from before but may have to buy some more.

[ ] Make a holiday budget. Work together with your spouse to set a comfortable level of holiday spending. We make it easy with our printable holiday budget worksheet.
* We never agree on how much we should spend. DH always wants to spend more and then I always end up spending more than planned. We always say we will draw it down but never do.

[ ] Divide entries on the master gift list into five groups. Begin shopping for Christmas gifts, and try to buy one-fifth of the gifts this week.
* I will not be buying any gifts this week but I will be looking around online and making lists.

[ ] Set up a holiday housework plan. Print our chore checklist. Post it publicly and hold family members accountable for delegated tasks.
* I am setting up a chore chart this week.

[ ] Print several copies of the master shopping list to speed errand days. Group to-buy items to make shopping trips easier.
* I won't start shopping for ingredients until sometime next month.

[ ] Make a family wardrobe check. Fill out the family wardrobe planner, and put any "To Buy" items on your shopping list.
* We don't need special clothes for any events, but we may need to buy new snow pants/boots.

[ ] Do you keep a gift closet, adding new gift items year-round? Take inventory now, before you shop for holiday gifts. Use our printable gift closet inventory to track stored gifts.
* I don't keep a gift closet.

[ ] Establish good health habits to cushion you and your family from holiday stresses. Focus on regular bedtimes, proper diet, mild exercise and stress reduction. Schedule self-care appointments in the holiday calendar.
* We are very good about enforcing bedtimes, even on the weekends. The rest needs work.

[ ] Make a tabletop check;. Inventory serving pieces, table linens, china and flatware. Check store flyers for sales, and add needed replacements to the shopping list. Will you be ready to set a pretty holiday table?
* We are not having company so i'm not really worried about any of this.

[ ] Schedule family haircut appointments.
* The boys are the only ones that may need haircuts and those aren't scheduled appointments, they go to the PX barber.

[ ] Inventory stocks of wrap and mail supplies with a gift wrapping checklist.
* Need to find my wrapping paper but I think alot got throw out when we moved.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Reality Check Week Assignments:

[] Replace Halloween with Thanksgiving decor - *Take down Halloween, no Thanksgiving decor to put up since our Thanksgiving was in October
Will get done Thursday night.

[ ] Divide Christmas Card list into five groups; Write/address 1/5th *Already on my list to-do.
Will be starting the adressing next weekend hopefully.

[X] Make a Holiday Budget
Don't really have a holiday budget but I follow what I buy and it is ok.

[X] Make a Master Gift List; Begin shopping; Buy 1/5th this week
Master gift lift is done. Half are done. Now I have a shopping list with what is left to buy & where, so when I decide to do it it'll be done fast. Probably won't buy anything this week though.

[X] Set up Holiday Houseworks Plan
My to-do list is going well. Everything that needs to be done before Christmas is listed.

[X] Print a Master Shopping List
Done! I know what I want for each & where to buy it - just need to go get it.

[X] Family Wardrobe Check
Will wear what we have since it is family reunions only - no outside party. I did buy myself a new sweater.

[X] Inventory Gift Closet
Done, now I need to maintain it.

[ ] Establish Good Health Habits
Working on that. Gym, qi-qong, tai-chi and more fruits & veggies.

[X] Tabletop Check
Everything is ok

[ ] Gift Wrapping Inventory
Now, THIS I need to do!