Celebrate your name Question 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
What is your namesake?
How did you get your name- were you named after someone special or famous, did your parents want different names?

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I'm named after both of my grandmothers, but my parents were told to Americanize everything, so I became Mary Frances rather than Maria Franceska. If I would have had another daughter, I would have named her Maria Franceska because I like that better than my name!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
My names are my own. My father's first name is his uncle's who passed away as a child and his middle name is my grandmother's maiden name. I grew up with the belief that people should have a name of their own. I don't know much else about my own name except that my Dad chose it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was working on this last night:
Diedra, Deirdre Dierdre, Dedre, Deidra, Derdriu, Derdre, or Derdriu
is the foremost tragic heroine in Irish/Celtric/Gaelic mythology, Deirdre of the Sorrows.

Meaning:
Sorrow, Grief, Broken Hearted

There are several variations of the old myth but they all shared the same common theme. A beautiful woman, born on a night of a full moon night, promised in marriage to a King , hopelessly in love with another man and ending quite tragically. The heroine of a tragic Irish legend. Deirdre, the betrothed of the king of Ulster, eloped with one of the three sons of Uisneach. All three sons were slain by the king and his henchmen
while Deirdre was unharmed and left to mourn them.
She either dies of a broken heart or commits suicide.

Mom said she had read this legend and loved the name. When I was born she couldn’t remember how to spell it, so the nurse and she came up with the spelling.
I’ve always said nurses and doctors can’t spell.

Why she chose a name for me that quite literally translates to sorrow is beyond me. It's not that I dislike my name, in fact it is quite the opposite. I just dislike the meaning.
I have talked several people out of naming their children after me.
Please don’t name your child something that means sorrow.
I have had a very sorrowful life.
It fits the name.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
My name is Allison. We live in a small Vermont town that "almost" had the movie: Peyton Place, filmed here. Supposedly the movie was written about our town. A small town where deep dark secrets are hidden destroying lives. When Hollywood wanted to make a film of the book, our town was approached but the town fathers refused to allow filming here because to associate our town with dirty secrets was not a good thing to do. One of the main characters, Allison Mackensie, was a blond and I think in the tv version the role was played by Mia Farrow whom my mother had always favored. Because of those 2 reasons, she begged Dad to name me Allison.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My mother was reading "Gone with the Wind" when she was pregnant with me, so I was named Melanie after the character in the book. She said that if she had known what my personality was going to be like, she would have named me Scarlett!!

My middle names - Anne and Elizabeth were from her 2 favorite aunts.

Melanie

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
My parents named me after 1 saint & a warrior from the bible . Deborah( the warrior ) & saint Ann, boy did they mess up there, HA HA HA

Trulymom

MHH Member
Oct 12, 2007
I love this...it's so interesting.

I don't know where my parents came up with the name Carrie...I wish now I had asked. My middle name is Luella, and it was my grandmother's middle name.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Corny story really. My parents were living in Chicago. They didn't have much room in the apartment they rented, so they didn't put a tree up at Christmas (my Mom was preggers then)...they decorated a huge mirror with lights, and placed a star above it. My Dad was lying in bed one night, looking at the star and said it was the most beautiful star he'd ever seen when it was lit, and if they had a girl, he'd like to name her Starlett....out I popped in July...and a Starlett was borned! :pink:

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
My maiden name begins with the letter S. My sister's name is Sherry, my brother is Steve.
Mom wanted to name me Suzanna so all of us would have the intials SS. Somehow my dad won out and my name is Darcy.

I like Darcy better than Suzanna, but when I was growing up I never found anything personalized because my name is unusual. I also answer to Marcy a LOT!

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Well all I know is my parents were sure I would be John David, yep hoping for a boy, well didn't happen, so I'm Catherine Anne chick1

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My name is my own - Lucie... chosen by my dad because he liked that name... but my middle name is my mother's (Huguette) because she didn't like my godmother's (Gertrude)... well to me they are both not very .... hmmmm.... pretty?

emily_hope

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Lee Ann~~~My first name came from my Uncle's middle name, Lee. The middle name came from my Aunt whose first name was Annette. I go by my first and middle name, although some family and close friends like to shorten it to Lee.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was named after my father's favourite singing duo. Had I been a boy I might have been name Sonny! My middle name is the same as my mother's as they couldn't think of another.
My father originally wanted to name me Marina, but my mother didn't like it. Too bad, I think its a really pretty name!

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
My great grandfather's name was Alexander and many people called him Sandy. My parents used that and named me Sandra. There is also a story about my sister coming up with the name, but that story is not verified! The last name of my grandparents on my mom's side was Dean so my middle name is Deana [said Deena]. Ya, ya, I know I'm Sandra D :slap:

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
My dad named me after my mom and her mom - Mary - and after his mom - Edith. unfortunately I can't stand either name, nut oh well what can you do.

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Long Story. My mother wanted to name me Elizabeth, father hated the name. Dad wanted to name me Beverly, Mom hated that name. They opened the bible and said how about Sharon? They both liked it and here I am. My middle names are after both my grandmothers. It is supposed to be Annetta May, however the hospital thought my mom couldn't spell and renamed me Annette May. My father wouldn't let her change it saying it was too much trouble. So there I am. I didn't even know my correct middle name or how it was spelled until after I graduated high school.