Celebrate your name Question 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Well as unique my name is, it is also spelled differently than other versions of my name. My Aunt (mom's sister) had a friend named Cherese and my mom loved the name. So of course when I was born that became my name. A few years ago my younger sister's insurance had changed companies and she had to change her OB/GYN doctor. Well she noticed her doctors first name was the same as mine along with the spelling (which is unusual). Anyway she decided to ask her if she knew our Aunt and our mom and it turned out she did. What a small world it was...so the person I was in a way named after wound up being my sister's OB/GYN a few years ago.... :rotflol:

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
It took my parents 9 years to have me, and there was doubt that there would be any more children, so they agreed that I would be named after my dad, thinking I'd be William, Junior. When I was born, all the names my mom liked were already taken in the family, and she couldn't decide. The nurses came aorund when she was to be checked out of the hospital and said no one could leave until I had a name. My dad reminded Mom of their agreement, and couldn't see what was wrong with Wilhemina.

My name is Patricia Anne. :rotflol:

William Junior was born 7 1/2 years later. :applause:

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Wow, I've really enjoyed this name game thing! I just sat and read all the threads and I've laughed so hard there are tears running down my face. We really have some funny gals on these boards!!!! :santalol:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My name is also my own. My name is Catherine Lynnette, but spelled with a "C" rather than a "K" so that my Dad couldn't call me Katie! Not sure what Mom's objection to that was, but it didn't work because my brothers called me Katie the Cleaning lady after a commercial for Mr. Clean (or something like that) in the 80s.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I was named after two of my aunts . (Margaret, Marge after my dad's sister, and Ruth after my mom's sister. Growing up I went by Margie but then as an adult I have bee Marge. My aunt went by Marge.
I always knew I was in trouble when I would hear Margaret Ruth!!!! chick1

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I was named Linda by my grandmother (who was dying). Mom and Dad wanted Karen but Gramma won. My middle name is Ann after my Mom's only sisiter.

This is an interesting thread. I love hearing all the stories. :irishkiss:

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
My name is also entirely my own. Christy Sue is the only name they picked out because DM was sure I was a girl.
Good thing she was right.

Out of 5 children only 2 of us were not named for family members, myself and my sister.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
My name Raegan (pronounced the same as the president) was kind of after my Dad, Raymond. I've since found out there was a character in Shakespeare's King Lear with the same name but a different spelling. Middle name Patricia after my Aunt.

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I am named after my great great grandmother Lousindy. They weren't sure of the spelling of her name until later so I am Lucinda. They took me to Ohio when I was 1 month old and took five generations pictures. She died shortly after. My middle name is Carole the same as my mothers middle name and now my oldest daughter's middle name.

SantasGirl

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Southeastern Ohio
My mother (God rest her soul) wanted to name me after her mother - Virgie Beulah. WHO in their right mind would name their child Virgie Beulah? Is that not the worst name you can imagine? She was only going to use the Virgie part, she'd picked Lynn for a middle name but I don't know why. As far as I know it was just a name she liked 'cause no one else in the family has that name. Anyway, my dear, sweet aunt (for whom I'm forever grateful) convinced mom to name me Virginia! So I was named Virginia Lynn and everyone calls me Ginny.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
The story goes that when I was born, my mom knew that although she loved him, her and my dad would not make it as a couple so as a sentimental thing she named me after him (Terry-him, Terri-me) and gave me the middle name of Lynn so that my initials were TLC cuz she knew it would take a lot of that to raise me on her own. I know huh? Awwww... :eek:)

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
MY NAME IS KRISTA AND MY MIDDLE NAME IS LYNN....NOT SURE WHERE THEY CAME UP WITH THAT BUT I WILL ASK...