Challenge for Crafters!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I challenge you all to give me advice on WHICH craft shop to concentrate on, and which to leave till last if I have time.

I've been checking out Hyannis, and there's 3 options (maybe more, but I found what looks like 3 good ones).

Michels
Jo-Anns
AC Moore

I don't know how much time I will get to lose myself in these, but I know I probably won't get to all 3.

I love sewing and the fabulous patterns you get in the US that we don't, and fancy embellishments. I knit, I am making some candles this year, I like making cards although I am a beginner there. I can turn my hand to lots of different things. And DD, who is 5, loves painting, stamping, and is starting to do beads, sewing etc too.

I'll have a certain amount of space in my bag for going home, but I don't want to go overboard on spending either (maybe $200 max).

Where would you recommend me making sure I get to, for value and the things I and DD might be interested in. And if there are sections suitable for DH's, that would be great too (although, I 've seen that there's a Barnes and noble so he might lose himself in books instead for an hour or 2).

Oh, and I see on the websites that some have coupons. If my last day at a printer is next Friday (30th July), would I be likely to get a coupon then that would work once we arrive in Hyannis (not there until afternoon of Friday 5th August)? Or is there anywhere else I could get coupons for these stores?

I figured all you craft people would be the best to advise - we don't have any of those chains this side of the Atlantic!!
Thanks,
Wings

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
If you want patterns and embellishments, I'd go with JoAnn's. They also have some scrapping materials, stamps and general craft supplies. They usually have coupon booklets available in store, so you may be able to pick them up there.

AC Moore has a wonderful needlework area and a large selection of yarns, much more than Joann's or Michaels. Their scrapbooking/stamping selection is similar to Michael's. Michael's and AC Moore both have great sections for kids.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I agree with Lisa, Joann's will be your best choice from the three for fabric and patterns. They also have a selection of crafts and yarn.

Between Michaels and AC Moore, my choice is Michaels. Neither of them carry fabric by the yard or very much sewing notions. They are both more of an arts and crafts store.

I receive coupons via email for both Joanns and Michaels, I'd be happy to forward them to you, just pm me. If you have a smart phone, Joann's has an app and you can receive the coupons from there and you do not need to print them.

If there is a Hobby Lobby in the area that you are visiting - that would be my first choice. They have a large fabric department and large arts and crafts too. I don't have one near me and I wish they would move here.

Happy Shopping!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I agree with Joann's. No fabric at the other stores and Joann's would have basics on the others you are looking for.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
For coupons, you can buy a local Sunday paper - most will have coupons and sale ads for the local craft stores and they expire the next Saturday. You can try for an online coupon - some have them for the month.

I'm a big fan of Michael's but I don't have an AC Moore around me so I can't speak to their inventory. I do like JoAnn's but since I'm not a sewer, I don't go that often.

For DD, I would recommend Michael's - they seem to have a large section for kids. And, Michael's in Virginia has already started to put out Christmas so that might be an added bonus!

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I agree too - JoAnn's is the only place for fabric.

As for the other two - they both have decent coupons and are close by so sometimes one is better and sometimes the other. Michael's has more Martha Stewart and dollar deals if that helps.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Thank you all. I think I'll have to decide whether I want fabric and patterns, or other crafts more. Or else have a "mom and me" time in 1 of the other 2, and a "me time" in Joanns.

I'll check the websites next friday, and borrow DH's ipod maybe, and we'll probably get a paper on the Sunday anyway, so good to know. Thanks for the offer Carol too, I'll send you a pm (probably Monday as I hear footsteps coming down again!!).