Christmas Brunch - 9/21/08

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, I am giving a brunch tomorrow. And I am pretending that it is my Christmas party! As I explained on another thread, my house is very small with small rooms. But the yard is big and there is lots of garden furniture out there. So the Christmas party will be tomorrow - rather than when it is cold and snowy and everyone has to be inside. Too crowded for a nice-sized group. (Of course, family celebrations are fine inside anytime.)

So far, I have cleaned the bath and a half - and put roses from the garden in both rooms. The living room and entry are cleaned. The family room is cleaned - and the "adult drinks" will be in this room. So the big table has the coffee pot and cups. tea pot and cups, and lots and lots of stemmed glasses. The glasses are for the adults to select between orange juice; mimosas (orange juice and champagne); bellenis (champagne and peach juice); or mango martinis (mango mix and vodka). The different bottles look very festive. There are also lots of bottles of water on this table, along with a vase of roses from the garden. This table looks very nice - full of lots of delicious things.

Two of the turkey breasts are now cooked. (On the other thread, I mentioned that I got them for 99 cents a pound yesterday. So this is helping to keep the costs low.) The turkey breasts will be for people to make their own sandwiches on their choice of different rolls and kinds of bread. At this point, I am planning to get one or two baked hams also, for sandwiches. The food will be arranged on top of two buffets in the living room. There will be more tables outside, with special foods and drinks for the children.

OK, off to put in the next two turkey breasts and keep cleaning and arranging.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for the kind words and good wishes. i KNOW you guys love parties. I wish you could be here tomorrow, because I know how much fun it would be! I'll check in tomorrow morning with the last-minute things.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Now it is early on the morning of the brunch. Of course, things are not ready. So I will start rushing around in a minute. The coffee HAS kicked in!

The party last night was delightful -- also held outside, to enjoy the beauti ful weather!! However -- I was pretty rushed and tired from grocery shopping right before the party - for today's brunch. And that is what happens in December too! There are so many fun things to do that things pile on top of each other!!! I really really hope I learn that lesson well, and keep preparing throughout the next 94 days!!!! :package:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
SparkleNana~how did things go yesterday? Are ya whupped today? :rotflol:

:bigsnow:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Pam! Here is the Brunch Report:

first - it was so beautiful that all the adults sat outside. (The kids stayed inside and played video games.) It was the first comfortable period of weather after 90 and 100 degree temps - so everyone just soaked it up!

The Bellinis were a HUGE hit! Not one person drank mimosas. (Although some drank orange juice.) Nobody had ever heard of a Bellini before - and everyone was intrigued and excited to try them. (Even the 92-year old great-grandmother drank Bellinis!) They are a perfect Brunch drink -- they are a beautiful color because of the rich peach nectar - and they taste very fruity and sweet and kind of filling.

There was lots and lots of food. A big variety of pastries and chocolate donut holes and cookies and coffee cakes. People ate A LOT! That was good! They also drank A LOT of coffee (both decaf and regular but most had regular.)

The coffee and bagels with the toaster, and turkey for make-your-own-sandwiches was inside. The drinks and pastry-things were outside. So there was a fair amount of milling around and mixing up - which was good. Lots of comfortable talking to each other about the food and whatever.

People wore all sorts of things - which was great, and made it more informal. Some wore clothes for the sports they were going off to play (tennis and soccer.) Some wore church clothes. Some just threw something on when they got up, and rushed over to drink lots of coffee. This - combined with the beautiful weather - made it very informal and friendly.

I didn't get the kitchen cleaned up before the guests came and it was a catastrophic mess. However, none of the food or drink was in the kitchen - so people didn't have to go in there much. I don't think anybody cared. If we had all been crowded into the house, I would have felt bad. But, since people were outside so much, I didn't really care.

I had a really good time, sitting outside and talking to people, while they helped themselves to food and drink. And I have given plenty of parties where I worked so hard that I did not enjoy myself. So this was a plus! I can really recommend it as a way to entertain. Even carrying picnic things to a park if you have an apartment. It is just nice to be outside.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Glad things were so successful for you, SparkleNana. Now get some rest and take time for yourself!!

:bigsnow: