Christmas in July 2018 - Day Fifteen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Yards. Blow-ups, stand-alone items (reindeer, etc.).

Reactions: Minta

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We go all out. Well, should say the last 3 or 4 not so much because we need to put in more power source. We blow fuses and all! We have a santa blow up (1 of many) that has Santa coming out of a chimney and a reindeer pushing him back in that we put onto the house. WE have plastic items, the manager, reindeer. I love how he does the deer. We put them over in our pine trees along with lighted trees and use rope lights to outline a pond and then using blinking white lights along with steady ones and looks like water. On the fence post (every other) we put the light balls made out of the white see thru drinking cups. Have garland and lights on the fence. Really hoping to get power for this year.

Reactions: Minta and GrammaDeb

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We still have a few blow ups left but I refuse to buy any more. When they first came out they were a bit more expensive but they seemed to last a lot longer then the cheaper ones they sell now. We have a several light up reindeer, a pair of light up snowmen, a light up nativity scene and several light up candy canes that we put in the flower beds. We string the c9 bulb lights on the fence to and around the shed.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lana that sounds so lovely. We don't do the yard. DH made a Precious Moments nativity I would like to get out and use this year, it will depend on his mood.

Last edited:

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I don’t do much in the yard. I do have a blowup that I won as a door prize at a banquet a few years ago. It’s a gingerbread man soaking in a cup of hot chocolate like a hot tub. It’s cute but loud. I put it in the yard one year and on the front porch one year and haven’t used it since.
I’m not planning any yard decor this year except possibly iron candle sticks (made by my late father) with glass globes and ribbon. We’ll see. They all need to be repainted and i’m not sure I have the time or energy.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Minta I agree. The last few I've bought have burned out with the first big snow storm we had. I'd go to blow them up and they never had enough power to lift up with the snow so they'd burn the engines out. I lost 2 cute ones that way the first time I put them out. I was not happy. Plus now they put these little LED bulbs in them and they don't even light them up all the way. I have a purple Christmas hippo and he barely lights up. He's pretty big and they have maybe 3 lights in him. I'll post a pic tomorrow of my other things. I have several snowmen blow ups.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Nothing in the yard and just the flood lights and sled on the porch. We live so far off the road anything has to be huge to be seen. What little we do is mainly to keep me happy and a little to greet any guests.

Reactions: Minta and Cathymac2

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We don't have any yard decorations. In the past our neighbors have put up blow up decorations but I haven't seen them in a few years. Hearing how they don't last long probably explains why I don't see them anymore.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta I agree. The last few I've bought have burned out with the first big snow storm we had. I'd go to blow them up and they never had enough power to lift up with the snow so they'd burn the engines out. I lost 2 cute ones that way the first time I put them out. I was not happy. Plus now they put these little LED bulbs in them and they don't even light them up all the way. I have a purple Christmas hippo and he barely lights up. He's pretty big and they have maybe 3 lights in him. I'll post a pic tomorrow of my other things. I have several snowmen blow ups.

We had snow globe that had a small light inside that you couldn't see inside without a small flood light shining light on it. It also had those little foam balls for snow in it ... The plastic on the globe ripped, patched it only to have a new bigger rip form elsewhere and have those little foam balls all over the front yard.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
just ordered a set of solar fairy lights, will use these this winter too!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Mine changes some be like you ladies said things dont last. I had a white wire tree but it quit working. My neighbor moved and had 2 new white deer still in the box they didnt want so I took them. Last year I got one of those laser light shows that I love so I just did that last year.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom