Christmas in July 2021.....July 6th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today we are talking gifts.
Christmas gift buying can be quite the chore so a well thought out plan will certainly help.
Once again there are many planner pages that can be found that might make gift buying a little easier.

Some of the most common things to consider are,
Who are you buying for? Add the recipients name to your planner list. What are their likes, if you are buying clothes do you know their size? Do you already have an gift idea, if so write it down. Are you lucky enough to already have something in the gift closet, if so check it off the list.

Do you have a budget? Make a note. If you need to start a savings account then best to start now. Divide your budget by paydays remaining to find your weekly outlay.

Are you going to be mailing parcels? Do you need to purchase mailing boxes, bubble wrap, or mailing labels? Make a note to purchase those before too much longer. Check mailing dates (things are taking a little longer now) and make a note of when parcels need to be in the post to arrive in good time.

How is the gift closet? Take some time now to tidy it, or to set one up, grab some storage boxes for those gifts. If you are storing gifts in a place other than the gift closet to prevent prying make sure you write a note in your planner so that you can locate it later. Many a gift has been lost in a "safe place" because we cannot remember where we hid it.

Stocking fillers are another thing to start thinking about now, those little items sure can add up. Along with your main gift list also start a list for the stocking fillers that you may want to purchase.

The Holiday Home Section of MHH has many, many pages of gifts and stocking ideas that have been shared over the years. Pop in for some inspiration or share some of your amazing ideas here.

1625561358517.jpeg

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I was just thinking the same thing Lucie! Since i'll be working this year, I really need to start thinking now as my only time to shop will be weekends unless I order online. I know my mom and I will do some shopping excursions together and that is exciting. I need to figure out who we are buying for though outside of our children. For our family gathering we are doing a White Elephant type gift exchange (but with good gifts). If you want to participate then you bring a gift, so females bring a gift and men bring a gift. You can steal gifts. My mom started it last year and it went over well so i'm excited to be able to participate this year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Our family exchange was changed up this year. I made matching stocking for all and then gave each one a stocking a name inside. The exchange is to fill the stocking and we will exchange them when we gather NYE 2021.
DH and I will give small gifts from us for them to open Christmas Day.

RoniJo

Premiere Member
Jul 2, 2014
Our family exchange was changed up this year. I made matching stocking for all and then gave each one a stocking a name inside. The exchange is to fill the stocking and we will exchange them when we gather NYE 2021.
DH and I will give small gifts from us for them to open Christmas Day.
That's a really good idea!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hanukkah is early this year! the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend! Must really do early shopping.

You'll notice that the Jewish holidays are either early or late - they are NEVER on time!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, what an amazing idea. I love this

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
You'll notice that the Jewish holidays are either early or late - they are NEVER on time!
Debbie, this made me laugh so hard. Thank you.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, as a teacher will you buy a little gift for your students?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
These are great questions to consider right now in light of supply chain issues and deliveries taking longer. Last December, I noticed that there were not many things available the closer we got to Christmas. Since activities were cancelled, people were staying home and buying items to decorate their homes. I'm not sure that will happen this year but I will buy things when I see something I like or when I think something would be a good gift idea. I don't want to miss the opportunity to buy a thoughtful gift.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't want to miss the opportunity to buy a thoughtful gift.
Mary, things seem to be a little easier than last year but just this week we are back to wearing masks and Sydney is entering its 3rd week of lockdown. I realise it does not take too much to tip us over and for things to become difficult again. This is where planning will be a benefit again this year.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Not sure how to shop this year. We have shopped all year but watch for sales in the past. Last year if we found what we wanted we bought it because of the supply/ demand issues due to covid. We are doing both this year depending on the item, not being sure about anything.

We both seem to be in good shape gift wise here. I’ve found a few good deals. I now have 4 gifts instead of 3 left to make as I now need a gift for my friends baby that is due in November. Will be glad when those are finished and tucked away.

This year I started putting some of the gifts in boxes as I put them away. Should make the wrapping process go a little faster. Won’t be too long and it will be time to start wrapping!

Reactions: luludou

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Jess, as a teacher will you buy a little gift for your students?
I will! I will think on it, but I always loved when my kids brought home a book from their teacher and since I have so few students I could purchase a good chapter book for each of them through Scholastic i'm sure that fits their interest. Right now i'm trying to think of a small item to give them on the first day of school. LOL

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I agree with the concerns about supply chains impacting what is available this year. Not only for gifts but for certain food items even potentially!

My focus has not been on Christmas planning for the last few months, normally I would be further ahead by now. Will start to FOCUS!

I have at least one special gift in mind for DH but I think I should order it now because who knows how long it will take to get here!

DS has hit the age where he is pretty much over "toys" - which means more video games, electronics, etc. which are all in that category of increasingly hard to find items. Not to mention BIKES! They are just not to be found right now in local stores. Whole aisles of bike racks, empty. It's sad...

I have my Master Gift List I resave from year to year which helps keep me organized. I also note birthdays for each person as well, if we give for that event, which is nice. All gifting pretty much tracked in one place helps me. Especially nice when it comes to birthdays that fall in the holiday season itself.