Christmas in July Day One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I know I'm posting a day late...but here goes...What is your favorite tip for dealing with unexpected guests during the holidays?

:clothes:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I always have tons of cookies, candy and dips ready so I can pull them out if guests arrive.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm thinking - appetizers on hand. Crackers, cheese, dried saucissons, olives, etc...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Appetizers, desserts and beverages are also the things I plan to have easy access to.

Items with a long shelf life like crackers, tortilla chips, beer, wine, etc. are part of what gets worked into my Master Grocery List in the months approaching the season so that I stock up a little here and there.

I either purchase dip mixes or pre-mix my own and have them waiting for last minute need. Most chilled dips, I find, taste better if you let the flavors blend at least 2 hrs after mixing - which doesn't help much if you have guests you want to offer munchies to NOW.

Artichoke Dip is something I've fallen back on at times like that. 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped mixed with 1 cup mayo and 1 cup grated Parmesan and baked until bubbly. The bigger the dish, and thus the thinner the dip, the faster it bakes! Tortilla chips go great with this dip!

Cookie dough in the freezer is great - only minutes to bake them! I am also intrigued by this post about mini-freezer pies:

http://thesassypepper.blogspot.com/2010/02/tutorial-mini-freezer-pies.html

That would also be a great thing to have on hand for unexpected guests! Or you could even have a full sized pie in the freezer. Either make your own or purchase one (on sale with a coupon,of course! lol)

Save a tub Cool Whip in the back of the freezer and put that together with dessert for some extra flourish! Tip - take the lid off of the frozen Cool Whip, put in microwave on defrost setting (50% power) for just a few seconds. Try to stir. If still completely stiff, try again. It will start to soften quickly so don't go too long! The middle will stay stiff longer, but you'll be able to get topping from around the sides of the container pretty easily if you are in a hurry!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We never have unexpected guests.
The foods listed arr great and s reminder that a little cleaning everyday goes a long way in being prepared. At least in the main living space and down bath.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I keep chips and dips mainly - salsa, guacamole. If you have some cheddar and a can or refried beans you can easily make a multilayer dip.

Also good Italian sausage - sopresatta is my favorite - and a hard cheese are easy to keep on hand and last a long time.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I try to keep the pantry stocked with assorted crackers, chips, pretzels, popcorn and dip mixes. I stock up on ready made dips when I can get them cheap and always have sour cream and mayo on hand to make dip with.

During Dec we are baking all through out the month so I usually have cookies on hand.

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
We have a few unexpected guests each year and they usually are here to drop off gifts and goodies so I keep some small wrapped gifts and candy/cookies on hand. Rarely does anyone stay more than a few minutes, but I think I'll have more snacks and such on hand this year just in case!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Welcome back orangesforadam! Nice to see you post. Keep the linen clean and ready to make beds for the unexpected visitors... and keep the house company-ready as much as possible ... just in case!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Oh...I love this. I was on vacation so I missed it!..... I keep dry spiced tea mix made along with assorted trash mix made during the holidays. There are always other homemade goodies around during the holidays, but like Shannon, we have few unexpected guests.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Why plan for the unexpected if you now find it's fairly normal to have sudden guests appear around the holidays. This means you are someone they feel great being around during this most festive time of the year. So, with that being the new mindset............prepare for your guests.

I keep a nice wicker basket on the guest bed filled with convenience sized shampoo, conditioner, face soap, body wash, toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, eye drops, aleve, bath sponge, towels, scented linen spray, a channel guide for the cable television, a welcome note detailing where extra blankets and linens are and how to adjust the thermostat, a small tin of cookies, chocolates, pastel mints, hair brush, comb, razor, shaving cream, deodorant, chap stick, travel sized manicure kit, sewing kit, pedicure set and clear polish. I keep a nice one-size fits most soft robe hanging in the armoire along with a pair of mens and womens slippers. I have a small 4 cup coffee pot on the guest bathroom vanity with hot cocoa packets, coffee, creamer and sweetener and 2 cups. I have a small refrigerator that I keep in there with bottled water, a few soft drinks and small bottles of juice. I took my cues from nice hotel rooms that specialize in making guests feel comfortable. During the holidays this room is also decorated for the celebration to include a wrapped gift on the bench at the foot of the bed.

A beautiful collage of frames, a really nice calendar for the upcoming year, a box of chocolates or even nice holiday candles make wonderful generic gifts.

Last edited: