Christmas party 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I always see all the plans everyone has for their Boo Bashes but I never see that type of excitement over any Christmas parties.
I am hoping to have a Christmas party for some of my friends and some of the people at church,
I want it to be as fun and festive as a fall party. Not a sit down dinner.
any suggestions?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This is so true. People get excited about decorating but not much is said about Christmas parties.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We have had a big Christmas party every year for the last 3-4 years...and we plan another one this year. It is always chaos - lots of families and LOTS of kids!!!

One family alone will bring along at least 5 of their 7 this year! I know. She is my super hero.

We are not formal at all. DH and I provide the main dish (or dishes) and everyone potlucks the rest. I fill in side dishes and appetizers as needed.

We have a keg and I have a few bottles of wine on hand - the wives that like wine usually bring a bottle - not everyone drinks anyway and it usually all works out.

I have tables setup for the kids and the adults can sit down too, but usually everyone gathers around our full bar - on the stools or standing.

It is crowded - it can get warm - but it is always fun! Last year we had a great time with the Wii Dance game - every single kid - ages 3 to 14 - girls and boys - were dancing along at the same time - for a long time. It was a riot! And totally unplanned - it just evolved!

My planned kid activity - decorating cookies - was just sort of successful and left my floor COVERED in sugar. Never again! lol

I need to get started thinking about and planning for this year's party!!! Thanks for the reminder! I found some really fun games somewhere - I'll look for a link to the blog - I was thinking of doing some of them this year for the kids...

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am thinking of several I would like to do, a Christmas Tea for all my female friends, an open house on Christmas Eve for my neighbours (Christmas with the Kranks anyone lol) and a Boxing Day Brunch with family.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My BIL's wife does an open house every year about two weeks before Christmas on a Saturday evening. She has it from around 4-8. She invites friends, neighbors, family. People just come and go at their own leisure, sit and visit, and talk. She serves finger foods, coffee, and punch. That way it doesn't interfere with anyone's family celebrations (usually) since it is so early.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I have a brunch in mid-Dec. for my quilting group. I make the main dish -- strata or crustless quiches -- and they fill in with things like cheese grits, salads, bacon or ham, breads and sweet rolls. I have mimosas, champagne, coffee and tea. It's a good motivation to get the house decorated, and everyone has a good time. it's our last "meeting" until after the new year.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
We have a dinner party every year for my siblings and their spouses. I have 6 siblings, 5 sisters and 1 brother. We sisters get together all the time but our husbands don't see each other all that often. We used to see each other more when my parents were still living and our kids were all little. This will be the 4th year we will be hosting it. I cook a really nice meal, (last year was a crown roast of pork that my husband did on the grill) and we just spend the evening catching up, eating, drinking wine and enjoying each others company. It is something I really look forward to each year.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
O.K. but what about a non dinner party for friends not on Christmas or Christmas Eve, what kind of fun activities would be good?
On Halloween there are hay rides and apple bobbing and all kinds of things to do. What could you do For a Christmas party?

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Debbi - I hosted a "Girl's Night" last year...we did have dinner, but the best part was afterwards...I purchased premade gingerbread houses and made icing...each lady brought a bag of candy or equivalent. We had so much fun decorating them and talking -the wine and music wasn't bad either! ;) It was so nice to have a night to ourselves before the big day when we weren't shopping, wrapping, etc.

DH and I have also hosted a wine-tasting party a week before the holidays for neighbors and good friends. We had heavy appetizers. DH told them they were helping us "pick" the wine for our holiday dinner.

You could have a caroling party, cookie exchange or decorating party. Or how about a dessert party? have everyone bring their favorite! You provide coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

HTH!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
DebbiGall, there is also the ornament exchange or white elephant type activity. It would depend on whether you think your friends would enjoy it, but maybe an ornament making (or other christmassy craft) party. My husbands relatives in New York played a Christmas Family Feud type game and supposedly had alot of fun. I just looked it up and found this http://www.ehow.com/how_2312412_play-family-feud-game.html Here are some Christmas related Questions http://www.diva-girl-parties-and-stuff.com/christmas-feud.html. Here are a few other ideas on that website as well http://www.diva-girl-parties-and-stuff.com/holiday-parties.html . I like the Are you ready for Christmas? one, except maybe give a small gift. The Christmas Bunco one sound fun too http://www.diva-girl-parties-and-stuff.com/bunco.html I've come accross the idea of having Christmas carol Karyoke at a party too.

Although not really a party, I think it would be fun to get some people togeher and have a Christmas home tour. Everyone go together, visiting each others house and see their decorated homes. Each home will serve some type of appetizer, cookie, dessert or beverage.

I've been wanting to put together some sort of Christmas bingo game while walking or driving around looking at Christmas lights. I'll probably just do this with my kids but I haven't figured out the details yet.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jinglemom - you made me think - how about a Christmas scavenger hunt?

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
O.K. what I mean when I say theme is like for Halloween we have a Boo Bash
For Christmas would we have a Santa bash or something like that?
For Halloween we has Harry potter and monster parties. What would be the Christmas versions?

This would be a party for both adult male and female guest possibly some kids.
I'm looking for fun interactive games or activities that are out side of the box.
Non traditional

On Halloween we have hay rides and apple bobbing.
Since it probably won't be very cold and possibly hot here the party will most likely spill over into the back yard, Campfire?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
How about an 'Elf theme' party? Buddy & Jovi costumes. Candies everywhere, snowflakes, Santa pictures... Elf door, ... north pole ice, I'd call it something like 'Elfing around'... everybody with a different elf hat, elf slippers...

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
How about a Dickens Christmas party, Everyone dresses in the attire of day when Charles Dickens wrote his stories, food from that era etc.

Or take one of Dickens Stories like the The Christmas Carol as a theme

Or do O. Henry's Gift of the Magi party, having your guest donate to a charity or you donate to a charity in their honor, food could be done from the book have the story read during the party

At one time I did a Christmas Story Party, all the families brought one Short Christmas story and read it to the group doing up the parts etc. We exchanged cookies and the kid did a craft while the parents chatted and drank coffee. It was a great success.

Just some ideas off the top of my head. ~ Farmerswife

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I love white elephant parties. There are quite a few different ways to play the game; if you Google search for rules, you'll find the different variations. Do wine and cheese tasting with other appetizers and mini desserts beforehand. If you're in a large group and everyone has had something (or somethingS :) ) to drink, the white elephant game can get quite competitive and lively.

Another game I've played at a Christmas party is "count the Santas." The hostess had a very large collection of Santa ornaments, decorations, etc., and the goal was to go through the house and count the number of Santas on the Christmas tree, home decorations, tablecloths, bathroom decor, etc. etc. etc. The person who had the closest total after an hour got a gift card to Starbucks or Target or something like that.

There is also the game where you use clues to figure out the titles of popular Christmas carols. I'll dig around online and see if I can find a game sheet for it for you.

Edit -- Here it is: http://www.ssqq.com/archive/christmaspuzzleclues.htm