Christmas 'Theme'?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Both Cathymac and coffeenut (and maybe others, but these are the two creative souls who come first to mind) have posted that they choose a theme for Christmas that they decorate around and use as a framework for gifts. I am in love with this idea!
I'd love to hear some ideas for next year, or ideas you've used in the past, now that Christmas is still fresh in our minds.
This year, I had more of a motto (which is a theme that's not fully developed! :huh: ) of 'It's a Wonderful Life'. Not the movie necessarily, but focusing on appreciating how great life is. Maybe I'll develop that a little this year, with help from you all!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Well, I stay with a color theme...red, gold and green in decorating and gift wrapping. That way it all goes together. My children's gift theme this year was the movie, Santa Clause 3. They each got a movie, popcorn, hot cocoa, santa mug, santa bowl, Santa Clause 3 book and a snowglobe (which was a big part of the movie). They really liked it. I never thought of going with a theme that wide...decor, wrap, gifts, but it sounds fun. My focus word this year is family, so maybe gifts will center around family time....hmmm.

Can't wait to hear more ideas!
:heartsNY:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I leaned toward 'toyland' last year but this year I went more 'red and white'. Next year I'd like to do the kids room like whoville! I also really like the ''all shades of green' theme!
It's a wonderful life would be great! Would you use lots of bells and angels?
:cupid:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Jackfrosty I like the idea of whoville. I may have to borrow that idea if you don't mind.

Ours is always a kid theme. Just because they love to decorate and the only thing that is not allowed to be touched with out me present is the Christmas village.

I would love to be able to do some sort of theme next year.

:happynewyear:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My theme for 2006 was "Comfort and Joy". I gave things like hot chocolate mix, hand-embellished throws, old western movies to my dad, etc. Anything that would be bring comfort and/or joy. I decorate with red, green, white, gold and silver every year, so I just used a lot of plaid ribbon, pretty ornaments that bring me joy, etc.

This year I used "Old Fashioned Country Christmas". I used bright colors, homespun fabrics, etc.

In 2008 I'm planning to use the theme of "The Heart of Christmas". "heartstrings: I love and collect heart ornaments, so it shouldn't be much of a stretch. I can't wait to get started. I already have ideas for gifts (I'm going with small "collections" this year, and planning on doing a lot of vintage and flea market stuff.) :jumpinghearts:

Hope this helps a little! :heartsNY:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
KimD-Of course I don't mind!!!! It'll be fun sharing how we make it look that way- I'll think some more on it for Rudy Day and let you know what I come up with !! I'd love some of your ideas on it too! Good excuse to watch it a few more dozen times!(my kids finally got over being very scared of the grinch-at least when Mom is in the room! LOL!)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't do themes in our house. LOL Maybe some day after the kids are gone. But it's fun to read what everyone else does!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
2006, was sleighbells ring. I decorated alot with sleighs and snowmen. My colors were blue silver and white My paper last year was blue and white with blue trees on it.
2007 was candyland. I decorated alot with red, green, and white peppermints, gingerbread and found some cute peppermint shaped soaps.
My wrapping paper goes along with my theme. I used peppermint red and white paper.
2008 is heaven and nature sing. I am using cardinals, angels, and alot of outdoor themed decor. I am still in the pre planning stage.So far i think my colors are going to be red, silver or gold and natural colors.
I found a white tree at the dollar general store yesterday. I
want to use it some way.

Snicks

MHH Member
Dec 27, 2007
Minnesota
About the only theme I use is Snowmen, only because I collect them. My tree is never a theme except the kids growing up ornaments. The rest of my decor though goes along with the snowmen.

Maybe this year I'll try one. Hmmm

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
MrsSoup said:
We don't do themes in our house. LOL Maybe some day after the kids are gone. But it's fun to read what everyone else does!
Thus the reason we have a kid theme. I think that my kids at 13, 12, 10 & 9 next christmas will enjoy a theme. My mom always had a theme while as us kids got older. But now her theme is back to kids. She decorates her tree with all homemade ornaments that us kids made her and her grandchildren have made her. She already has a 8ft tree but could go bigger with everything she has. All the grandkids love to give her new homemade ornaments everyyear so that they can see them on the tree the next year.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
jackfrosty said:
KimD-Of course I don't mind!!!! It'll be fun sharing how we make it look that way- I'll think some more on it for Rudy Day and let you know what I come up with !! I'd love some of your ideas on it too! Good excuse to watch it a few more dozen times!(my kids finally got over being very scared of the grinch-at least when Mom is in the room! LOL!)
Great I will work on it also. I already know I want to incorprate Cindy Loo's tea cup hat somehow. I just love that.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Coffeenut-I used redbirds on my white tree this year, and loved the look. I used black and white checked bows and put red and white ornaments, tied up with black satin bows, on the tree, along with silver stars and red berries. I really loved the look. Good luck with yours! I love my white tree, it's so versatile. I've even used it as a Valentine and a July 4th tree before!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I enjoyed reading this thread today and love those themed ideas! I hope you guys will continue to post more about it as you plan!!!!!
(Also waiting to read about the next "themed breakfast" cathymac.) :-D

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
My only theme is: :package: The more the merrier! :tree: :snow: :stocking: :tree:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The threads are fun this weekend!! Christmas ideas are flowing!

luvbooks

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
I don't use a theme either, but one year a friend of mine did poinsettias, she had some dishes with that on there and decided to pull from that so she got kitchen towels, napkins, basically her dining room table was decorated that way, and I think her wrapping paper was also, it was very pretty!!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I don't follow any pre-determined decorating theme either. Just a mixed version of a little Santa theme and a little religious theme.

Now for gifts though.. I do themes but individual themes. SIL is fond of scrapbooking but not to where she designs her own, so every year I make her a different theme book where she just adds her own photos. I do the page setups for her.
BIL loves James Bond movies and he makes sure to catch them on tv, so this year we bought him DR NO and I did a basket with movie style candy, microwave popcorn and a James Bond calendar.
And, DD18 is artistic and she goes quickly through drawing pads. This Christmas I bought her a portable easel, drawing pads and pencils, and included a video of Bob Ross. She remembers watching his tv program when she was small.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I collect vintage Christmas decorations and decorate my house in a country/prim/vintage theme so usually I have a country Christmas thing going, but I like the idea of a theme. I like that comfort and joy idea with even giving gifts of comfort. I'll have to give this some thought. Either Comfort and Joy, or a Farmhouse Christmas theme I think.

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
I'd love to do a Rudolph theme silver & gold ornaments, misfit toys around, Santa's castle I'll make here on my landing D/H made for me, with snow & Santa & Mrs Clause.