Christmas Tree already up?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I was walking down the road to a friends house last night and noticed that two people on our road already have their Christmas trees up and decorated. This is only a couple of days after Halloween. I personally think that this is a little too early. I wound'nt care if I didn't have my tree up until the day before Christmas eve. But then again that is just me, I don't like my tree up for very long. Just my tree. I have wanted to start getting some of my decorations outside done just before the snow starts flying. Which I do know this one house the day after halloween their outside decorations are up and lit.

After seeing this last night it got me thinking when do people start putting up their christmas trees?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I agree that right after Halloween is just too early, for me anyway. We usually put our tree and any other decorations up the day or weekend after Thanksgiving. Then we take them down New Years day or the day after.

It must be a trend..On the radio this morning to the tune of It's beginning to look alot like Christmas they played It's too early to decorate for Christmas!!! I was laughing because here I am every night on this site and the OC site talking about Christmas and they say it's too early to decorate. I wonder what they think of my planning next year's Christmas already....lol
:bigsnow:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I agree that rigt after Halloween is too early. As much as I love Christmas and all that goes with it, I think this is pushing it a little.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I plan year round- already have alot of ideas for next year, I am here alot getting ideas year round and buy gifts anytime- but I love my fall and want to see the changing of the trees and the scarecrows and turkeys and well let me have Thanksgiving!! Although for those that get lots of cold/snow coming soon- I am not against beginning to hang your lights now- just wait to light them.

I noticed most stores have all Christmas and very little Harvest stuff out- :(

:friendly: :turkey:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Oh yes, I agree with hanging the lights now if you can before the bitter cold settles in. I will be doing that in a couple of weeks. However, I don't turn my lights on until Dec. 1st.

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
I start decorating November 1, but I start small. I have MANY trees (mostly small). I start with a blue and white tree in the front foyer that really just gives a warm, glowing, wintery feel and doesn't scream Christmas. My DD puts hers up in her bedroom. I then start with the little trees like in the bathrooms and one in my kitchen. Then I move on to hanging greenery and wreaths. I do save the big main family tree until Thanksgiving and save all my outdoor decorations until after then as well. I live in Southwest Georgia so snow isn't an issue for me. If I saved all my decorating for after Thanksgiving, I wouldn't finish by Christmas. Since we take our decorations down on the 1st of January if not before, that just wouldn't be enough time for me to enjoy it. Luckily, my family enjoys the decorations as much as me and nobody passing by on the street has a clue what is going on inside. :grin:

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
I agree that now is a bit early to have the tree up. I'm going to start getting read to decorate. What I mean is, I take all of my normal stuff down and totally transform my upstairs into Christmas. I usually work really fast and try and get it all done in one weekend, but I've decided that this year I'm going to start early taking everything down and slowly work on putting stuff up. This way I have time to decide where I want stuff and if I really like it there or not. I'd actually be OK if I had all of my decorations up by Thanksgiving and then put the tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I don't decorate outside, so I don't have to worry about that. I just love the way the house feels at Christmas when I walk in and see everything. And I love watching my collection grow each year.

:bigsnow:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We wait until after Remembrance Day on November 11. November 12th I'm full-swing into decorating!

:package:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I usually put my tree up and the rest of my decorating is done at the end of November/beginning of december and I leave them up till 12th night. Until then I'll be preparing each room, putting away the existing stuff tho make way for the Christmas stuff. That way everything will be done by the beginning of December and we can concentrat on enjoying the season.

:globe:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Alright as long as its just not me thinking its nuts to put the tree up right after Halloween. I understand that many people have multipule trees starting to get them up. It takes my mother 3 weeks to get her outside decorated and with our weather it is better todo so now. You never know when we will have 3ft of snow. I really want to put my outside stuff out not lit until Thanksgiving night (just the way my gram did and my mom does), but I have a nieghbor that says if I have my stuff out too early he is going to come take it down at night. Not that he really will. But everyone decorated for Halloween around here the beginning of September.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Although I obviously LOVE Christmas, I also love all the seasons, but especially fall. I've preached for years that that I do ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME!! I don't like to mix Halloween and Thanksgiving, so I do an overall fall theme the day after Labor Day (early September), then Oct 1 the Halloween goes up, November 1 it comes down and the Thanksgiving goes up, until the Monday after Thanksgiving, then Christmas goes up. It stays up until January 2, then it all goes into storage, with Valentine's decorations coming out January 14. That is just how I do it, it works for us. I also love the way the house feels decorated for Christmas, especially when it's cold and gloomy outside and you come in to good smells, a crackling fire and lighted Christmas trees everywhere! I also put up a lot of trees-18 or so, some 2', some 8', most in between! It does take a while, but I find I can usually get it done the week after Thanksgiving if I have most of the clearing and cleaning done in advance-Thank you, Christmas Countdown and Houseworks plans!! LOL!! Just as I don't like jack o lanterns and pilgrims mixed, I also don't like to eat Thanksgiving turkey with a lighted Christmas tree staring at me. I know I'm weird, but that's how I like to do things! I don't have any problems with doing outside lights early-even though weather is seldom an issue here, either, I have to get those hung when DH has a free Saturday, and that's rare in December, so sometimes it is November when we do the outside lights. But they are not turned on until the Sunday after Thanksgiving because we host a Tgiving party on the Saturday after.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
:tree: Yes my tree is up and partly decorated. We usually go down to my inlaws for Thankgiving and Christmas Eve to stay the night, so I want to enjoy my tree as long as possible. :tree:

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
I'm with CathyMac....I like to enjoy each season as it comes around. So the trees and decorations don't start going up until the weekend after Thanksgiving Day. I live in an isolated subdivision out in the country. Noone puts up decorations early so I don't have to worry about that. But I am at the mercy of my DH and DSs for some of the outside stuff. We repainted our house this past summer from a very worn tan color (it had been 20 years since it was painted) to a dark green with white trim, a red door and black shutters. I can't wait to see how nice the house looks with the decorations up.