Christmas Trivia and Advent Book List

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I don't know if this is the best place to post this but...here goes:

Over the last couple of years I have found some "trivia" type Christmas books on clearance, at used book stores and at library sales. We get them out every year. I set them out in a basket on a table in the family room and family and friends who come over never fail to pick them up at random and "I never knew that"'s and discussions never fail to materialize on their own. I thought I would list the ones I have and ask if anyone has others that I could look for to add to my collection.

Here are the ones I have:

Quiz the Season: The Book of Christmas Trivia by Heather Revesz
A small little book broken down into different sections like Traditions/Customs, Christmas Around the World, Movies, Small Screen, Holiday Music, Tastes of the Holidays and Christmas Poems, Books and Literature.

Christmas Favorites: Holiday Music ( no author listed )
This little hardback book tells the stories behind 15 favorite Christmas songs. Very interesting. The weird thing is I can't find this book on amazon or anything. It is from 2005 and published by http://www.sourcebooks.com I went on their website and found it not really functioning???

"Tis the Season: Christmas Trivia
This is a box with cards in it. Imagine the box of question cards from a Trivial Pursuit game and that is exactly what it is like. Each card has different categories on it etc...

Christmas Trivia by Jennie Miller Helderman
Another trivia book that has a lot of biblical history, US presidential Holiday trivia and modern trivia too

The Christmas Conversation Piece: Creative Questions to Illuminate the Season by Bret Nicholaus and Paul Lowrie
This book is more like a journal starter question book and has a lot of thought provoking questions to ask yourself or others. It is a book in a series of question style books by this set of authors.

Advent and Lent Ideas for Children: Camels, Carols, Crosses and Crowns by Sheila Kielly
I just found this book and love it! It takes modern symbol of Christmas ( the book has 37) and looks at the origin, history , meaning of that symbol ... the book has some great expansion activity ideas of each symbol as well as specific scripture passages to go along with each. It is written from a religious standpoint BUT doesn't have to be used that way. My idea for this book for when my children are older is to make an advent calendar out it - "open" one symbol a day and explore it in depth, do the activities for it and use it as the basis for learning about the depth and meaning behind all the "things" we associate with the holidays but don't understand or acknowledge.

Holly, Reindeer and Colored Lights: The Story of the Christmas Symbols by Edna Barth
I found this book at a library sale and this author has a book like it for almost all major US holidays. It shows the origins of all the tradition and maybe not so traditional Christmas symbols. Again- a very interesting book.

Someone recently told me about these 3 books- although I haven't seen them myself yet:
Quizmas Carols: Family Trivia Fun with Classic Christmas Songs by Gordon Pape and Deborah Kerbel
Family Quizmas: Christmas Bedtime Stories and Trivia Fun by Gordon Pape and Deborah Kerbel
Quizmas: Christmas Trivia Family Fun by Gordon Pape and Deborah Kerbel

I would love to know about any other books of similar nature for Christmas or other holidays for that matter!

pixiestick

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
What a great idea and a great list of trivia books!! I had no idea there were such books! Thanks for sharing!!

:heartsNY:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is a great idea! I think that visitors are apt to pick up and peruse a trivia book over other kinds, because there are short, quicky read bits of info. I'll have to keep my eyes pealed for some. I wonder if they have trivia books for other seasons/holidays as well?

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the list! i can't wait to look some of these up! many thanks :happynewyear:

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Now is the perfect time to pick up books related to Christmas at really great prices. I actually picked up a few while I was at Chapters afterwork with gift card that I received for Christmas. I also picked up a great book on quilting as well.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I was at a Barnes and Noble last night and they had some of the Quizmas books on their 50% off table. I almost bought one to add to my collection but in the end decided to my husband a new beer brewing magazine instead. They had several left so I will check back - if they go 75% off then I will definitely buy one!

pixiestick