CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades - 1940s: Christmas Entertainment

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The home television and local theater provided family entertainment in the 1940s. Popular TV specials and movies of that time period included The Bells of St. Mary’s (1945) featuring Bing Crosby, portraying Father O’Malley, and Ingrid Bergman as Sister Mary Benedict. Father O’Malley was sent to St. Mary's, a run-down parochial school on the verge of condemnation. He and Sister Benedict work together to save the school, though their methods differed.

Holiday Inn (1942), starred Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Virginia Dale. The trio were song and dance performers headlining at an inn that is only open during the holidays. The show features the well-known song, White Christmas, sung by Crosby. The song went on to become a worldwide favorite and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.

It's a Wonderful Life, a 1946 fantasy drama, stared James Stewart as a depressed and suicidal banker, George Bailey, a man who has given up his personal dreams to help others in his community. On Christmas Eve, George contemplates suicide, leading to the intervention of his guardian angel, who shows him how he has touched others and what it would be like if he did not exist. The film was produced and directed by Frank Capra and was nominated for 5 Academy Awards.

1947 brought what’s become a Christmas classic, Miracle on 34th Street to the big screen. This story is one of a department store Santa Claus claiming to be the real Kris Kringle. This claim results in a trial to prove the man’s true identity. The movie featured Edmund Gwenn as Santa, with Natalie Wood portraying a little girl, Susan Walker. Today, this film is a staple among those who love Christmas movies.

Christmas radio programming also provided enertainment for the family, listening along to a drama, comedy, or other story, interspersed with song and local advertising. The stories were often broadcast as a serial in 15-minute segments, with the storyline running from Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve. Cinnamon Bear was a children's adventure program that aired days a week, telling the story of Paddy O'Cinnamon as he helps Judy and Jimmy Barton try to recover the missing silver star that tops their Christmas tree. The Kraft Music Hall brought hours of entertainment into the home, especially during the holidays. We'll explore more holiday music in Thursday's episode of Christmas in the 1940s.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great post! So many great movies! And I love the radio show info - I tend to forget how important radio still was at that point!

Small call out to a 1944 film: Since You Went Away. While primarily a movie about the struggles of a wife and daughters holding down the home front - the entire final act of the movie is set at Christmas. With all the 1940s trappings! So much great talent in this movie! I haven't been able to watch it in years and recently broke down and ordered it on DVD. Will be part of my CIJ rotation this year! :cool:

1688392398368.png

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Great post! So many great movies! And I love the radio show info - I tend to forget how important radio still was at that point!

Small call out to a 1944 film: Since You Went Away. While primarily a movie about the struggles of a wife and daughters holding down the home front - the entire final act of the movie is set at Christmas. With all the 1940s trappings! So much great talent in this movie! I haven't been able to watch it in years and recently broke down and ordered it on DVD. Will be part of my CIJ rotation this year! :cool:

View attachment 2344

Thank you for calling attention to it. It's not one that came up in my research. Will need to check it out! My grandparents were all rural and I don't think either sets of them had TV until the mid-50s. There were no stations within at least 50 miles in any direction, so no signal strength. But, I know they had radio, as my GGF (maternal GM's DF) sat and listened to it all day in their living room.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
DH must watch It's a Wonderful Life each year. It's not my fave but as long as it's just once!

Since You Went Away sounds lovely.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We watch Miracle on 34th every thanksgiving night. Never been a big fan of Wonderful Life for some reason but do like the others.
My all time favorites: The Bishop's Wife, 1947 and Christmas in Connecticut, 1945.
Will have to checkout Since you went away.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh I might need to look for these and add them to my collection. I think my Mum would enjoy them as they are the movies of her childhood/teen years. She was born in 1943.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@Lori K YES!! Love those movies and watch them every year. :) I like being reminded of how important radio was, too. I liked it when the Waltons would all sit around the radio!! I think there is a link on MHH for Christmas old time radio.
@Myron's Mom I love those two movies, as well. :)
@AuntJamelle I think I found that on YT ... I have never seen or heard of it. Love Shirley Temple :)

The Shop Around the Corner, 1940, is a fav of mine from that time. (Trivia ... Remakes: In the Good Ole Summertime, and You've Got Mail). And the Christmas song from Meet Me in St. Louis, 1944, that Judy Garland sings ... Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thanks for the info! Add me to the list of not a big fan of it's a Wonderful Life. I do like Holiday Inn. A few fun facts White Christmas, the song, is from this movie. The set of this Inn was used in White Christmas 12 yrs later. Also when Fred Astair was "drunk dancing " he took 2 shots of burbon and 1 after each take . The 7th take was in the movie so he is an amazing dancer who was actually pretty sloshed lol

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh no! Fred was smashed?? :eek: Seems like that would be dangerous ... if he fell ....

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
Thanks for the info! Add me to the list of not a big fan of it's a Wonderful Life. I do like Holiday Inn. A few fun facts White Christmas, the song, is from this movie. The set of this Inn was used in White Christmas 12 yrs later. Also when Fred Astair was "drunk dancing " he took 2 shots of burbon and 1 after each take . The 7th take was in the movie so he is an amazing dancer who was actually pretty sloshed lol
I need to watch it. Never have

• Love
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I like "It's a Wonderful Life". When Jimmy Stewart is pulled out of the water by the angel and he is having a conversation with him while their clothes are drying ... it is funny. Jimmy thinks Clarence the angel is nuts and the bridge attendant guy thinks they are both nuts. LOL And how about Bert and Ernie ... the cop and cabby making a sweet honeymoon place! Zuzu and her petals! Oh ... and Jimmy chewing out the teacher about the coat ....

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I like "It's a Wonderful Life". When Jimmy Stewart is pulled out of the water by the angel and he is having a conversation with him while their clothes are drying ... it is funny. Jimmy thinks Clarence the angel is nuts and the bridge attendant guy thinks they are both nuts. LOL And how about Bert and Ernie ... the cop and cabby making a sweet honeymoon place! Zuzu and her petals! Oh ... and Jimmy chewing out the teacher about the coat ....
It’s a favorite of ours, too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
1944's Meet Me In St. Louis is another treasure - it begins in summer transitions to Fall/Halloween (great part!) and then on to Christmas before back to spring again. To quote another source (Hollywood Christmas hosted by Jane Seymour) the movie "...was director Vincent Minnelli's picture postcard to the world."

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", sung by Judy Garland to little Margaret O'Brien is timeless.

The DVD set I have includes an interview of Liza Minnelli about her parents during the making of the movie. I remember her saying that the way Judy felt during the movie was very different for her. She had said it was the first time she felt beautiful. o_O Sad and sweet and heartbreaking all at the same time!!!

Definitely worth a watch!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
1944's Meet Me In St. Louis is another treasure - it begins in summer transitions to Fall/Halloween (great part!) and then on to Christmas before back to spring again. To quote another source (Hollywood Christmas hosted by Jane Seymour) the movie "...was director Vincent Minnelli's picture postcard to the world."

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", sung by Judy Garland to little Margaret O'Brien is timeless.

The DVD set I have includes an interview of Liza Minnelli about her parents during the making of the movie. I remember her saying that the way Judy felt during the movie was very different for her. She had said it was the first time she felt beautiful. o_O Sad and sweet and heartbreaking all at the same time!!!

Definitely worth a watch!!!

I had the lead part in that play in high school. Fun times!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I watched Since You Went Away last weekend. I didn't like it. (I love It's a Wonderful Life, btw.)
I felt the woman was much too flirty while her husband was away fighting.

Reactions: Lori K and jampss

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've watched alot of older Christmas movies on compliation videos, but don't know the names. I'll have to compare those videos to these movie titles here and see what I have and don't have. Might be worth watching next weekend when I have my CIJ weekend.

Reactions: Lori K and jampss