CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades 1950s: What's Going on in the Kitchen?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
See my post directly above yours. DH had an aversion to mushrooms, so I always substituted Cream of Chicken. No noticeable difference, from my perspective.
I love cream of chicken soup. I will try the green beans both ways. Thanks!

Reactions: Lori K

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sooo…does someone have a really good recipe for a green bean casserole without mushroom soup or those onion things on top? I’ll give it a try.
You can just make a thick cream sauce to use instead of the cream of mushroom soup. You can add some sautéed onions or veggies to take the place of the mushrooms for added flavor if wanted. I make my own cream of mushroom soup since most of it contains gluten.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
You can just make a thick cream sauce to use instead of the cream of mushroom soup. You can add some sautéed onions or veggies to take the place of the mushrooms for added flavor if wanted. I make my own cream of mushroom soup since most of it contains gluten.
That’s a good idea, too. Thanks!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love green beans and I use cream of mushroom soup in a ton of other dishes and casseroles, but I've never understood the green bean casserole craze from back in the day. Nope...don't make it and can't honestly remember if my parents did when I was younger. Now candied sweet potatoes are at the forefront of my memories. My family always made them with butter, brown sugar and marshmallows on top. I make more of a whipped sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans on top. That's the recipe my sister in law gave me years back and said..here make this...lol...and that's what I bring every year now. I'll eat sweet potatoes in any form though...yum!

Reactions: Lori K and jampss

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I agree that Cream of Celery (or Cream of Chicken - just not a fan personally - not sure why) would work great as a sub for the Cream of Mushroom.

Both the celery and the mushroom flavors work well together in my recipe for Tuna Noodle Casserole so I speak from experience, for what that is worth!

@GrammaDeb is it that you just don't like onions? Or that the fried ones from the can are just not to your taste?

I came across this recipe for making your own fried onions the other day:

Want to try this to top a green bean casserole this holiday season!

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I do cook with onions - sweet are preferred; I do use yellow and green, but absolutely no purple. I buy dehydrated onions for storage, and one time they were brown in the can - that was a nope for me. So it must just be the crispy fried ones that I do not like.