CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades 1970's: FAMILY TRADITIONS Pt. 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
1689863856158.png

Day 4
FAMILY TRADITIONS
1689863964606.png
My childhood memories of Christmas traditions
(these pictures are not mine but represent pretty close to things I remember)

I am the oldest of three. We lived in Columbus, Ohio and we would travel to see both sets of grandparents for the holidays in Cleveland (mother's) and Parma (father's), Ohio. At my mom's parent's, I remember drinking chocolate milk in our own Donald Duck cups, green Grasshopper Pie that I thought sounded gross, eating at Big Boy's at some point during the visit, and all these relatives I didn't know well. LOL

My father's mom and step dad had the white fake Christmas tree with the blue balls, it turned, and there was a light that changed colors aimed at it. They made their own Italian sausage that was scrumptious. Grandma was always dressed in the latest fashion. And more relatives that I didn't know well. Being they all lived about 2 1/2 hours north, we didn't see all these extended relatives much.

1689864139129.png
It was Christmas when the little wooden Nativity set came out and was displayed on the mantel. I remember my mom's old record player playing The Chipmunks or Bing. You could stack 2 or 3 records to play and each would drop down when one record ended. I thought that was such a cool invention for music!

One year, my mom got the bright idea that us kids would make these beaded sequined ornaments for the grandparents and some other family members. I will never forget how hard the pins were to push! I don't think my fingers have ever recovered! The angel photo (above on day 3) is the exact thing we made! I think there were a wreath, bell, and Christmas tree.

We had our hot chocolate in Santa mugs. It was fun looking up 1970's Christmas Time photos!! The memories.

1689864271017.png
My father had made these large plywood snowman people he drew, cut out, and painted that we would put up in the front yard. They were of each of us – mom and dad with two snow girls and one snow boy.

1689864406565.png
Our decor looked a lot like most of these photos. We had too much tinsel, beaded ornaments, little wooden people, flocked animals, paper accordion fold out Santas and bells, hard plastic light up Christmas mouse, and that weird melted plastic popcorn looking stuff in all sorts of snowmen, Santas, reindeer, bells, and candy canes.

1689864590399.png
Here are some other things I found:

39 Retro Christmas Recipes Mom Learned in the ’70s
https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/retro-christmas-recipes-1970s/

From an article ........ "If you've never had Watergate Salad, you're truly missing out on an American classic. This five-ingredient dessert salad is so easy to make, and the pistachio Jell-O, whipped topping, walnut, marshmallow, and cherry flavors pair together perfectly for a light and fresh-tasting treat."

1689864686346.png
Have Yourself a Very '70s Christmas Dinner
https://www.bonappetit.com/story/very-70s-christmas-dinner
So, ... these look pretty gross! LOL

Lazarus
http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/05/f-r-lazarus-co.html
Again, I have many fond memories of this department store at Christmas time. So magical!

Attachments

• 1689864454770.png
    1689864454770.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 1689864854394.png
    1689864854394.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1689865229147.png
    1689865229147.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I remember the 7 layer salads. Both the jell-o and the lettuce. I make the lettuce when we do a bake potato bar for a meal.

Reactions: jampss

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Full disclosure. I pinned several of the appetizers on the 39 Retro Christmas Recipes Mom Learned in the ’70s link!
:D

One thing I do not have an affinity for from vintage cooking is putting things - especially savory things - in gelatin! No thank you!!! LOL

Reactions: luludou and jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Watergate salad is a staple for our St Patrick's get-togethers, primarily because it's green. Lots of good memories here, including the Chipmunks album. Those sequin and pin ornaments also adorned our Christmas tree, along with lots and lots of tinsel. I think I was scared for life -- no tinsel has adorned my tree.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
70's was the era of my childhood Christmas's.

I remember every year our traditions were:
* Watching all the Christmas TV Specials that came out once a year
* Playing Santa's work shop with my brother
* Rushing to bed on Christmas Eve
* Having a very formal Christmas Day dinner with the grandparents.
China, silver, crystal
* The Christmas dinner menu never changed- A ham with glaze or turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, peas with pearl onions.
Dessert- a variety of pies. My mom loved mincemeat and my dad would make one for her every year.
* Getting together with the neighborhood kids a day or two after Christmas to discuss and compare
what gifts we got

Magical, magical times

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The Chipmunks! My brother loved them and we would listen to them on the radio often.

I like the Tuna tree. I think I might do that for the next Christmas in July lunch. The snowman cake looks like something my mom would have made. She always found a way to use typical round cake pans to make a holiday cake.